Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

Recommended Posts

Obsidian said:

I haven't beaten E4M1 yet. :( Is there even enough ammo?

They've set the amount of ammunition just straightly enough, shot by shot.

Share this post


Link to post
129thVisplane said:

I confess that I never played deathmatch with any living being, only with the bots in Skulltag and some very old version of ZDoom.

I've never even played with bots either, never played Skulltag or any port apart from ZDoom and PrBoom. Would be nice to try out co-op some day.

Share this post


Link to post
Obsidian said:

I haven't beaten E4M1 yet. :( Is there even enough ammo?


If you want to UV-max it, you need to save the RL for the Barons in the second secret and get a lot of splash damage on all of them. Between that and some infighting, there's just enough ammo. If you just want to beat it, don't release those Barons, and then it's not bad at all.

Here's a nice UV-max no-damage run:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAX0bR-3ClI

Share this post


Link to post

The only Doom game I have ever finished from the start to the end without cheating is Doom 3. I have played all of them though.

Also, I dislike a lot of the levels and music from Doom II, although I feel the need to play it and listen to the music mainly due to the fact that I am a fan of the series.

Also (Again) I think that Doom 3 is an incredible and genius game, and I genuinely can't understand why people do not like it. (I still like Doom better of course.

Also Mk. 3 - I hate E4

Also Mk. 4 - I don't like any of the new monsters from Doom II, or the Spider Mastermind... actually, I hate basically all monsters that are not regular zombiemen or imps.

P.S. I prefer Brutal Doom to Vanilla Doom.

Share this post


Link to post
DoomGuy123 said:

I don't like any of the new monsters from Doom II, or the Spider Mastermind... actually, I hate basically all monsters that are not regular zombiemen or imps.

You must have so much fun.

Share this post


Link to post
BaronOfStuff said:

You must have so much fun.


Yeah, its great fun. Well, its not like I dislike fighting them, I just don't like them. Well, the only monsters that I dislike fighting are the Archviles.

Example - When I see a Hell Knight, I hate the fact that it is a monster, and that I have to kill it, and that it has the potential of killing me. Basically, now that I think about it, I hate monsters that have the potential of killing me, mainly for that fact that they have the potential of killing me.

Share this post


Link to post
DoomGuy123 said:

I hate monsters that have the potential of killing me, mainly for that fact that they have the potential of killing me.

I must confess that I'm a little befuddled. First of all, zombies and imps can kill you as well. Also: Isn't that the point of fighting monsters, running the risk of getting killed and triumphing over the braveness that you have displayed to overcome it? And it happens in pretty much 99% of all games. Or are you saying you prefer to get your kick from other aspects of the game, like nice-looking maps or music or whatever, and monsters shouldn't really be a challenge?

Share this post


Link to post
Kotzugi said:

I must confess that I'm a little befuddled. First of all, zombies and imps can kill you as well. Also: Isn't that the point of fighting monsters, running the risk of getting killed and triumphing over the braveness that you have displayed to overcome it? And it happens in pretty much 99% of all games. Or are you saying you prefer to get your kick from other aspects of the game, like nice-looking maps or music or whatever, and monsters shouldn't really be a challenge?


I guess what I'm trying to say is that I enjoy killing the monsters, and I don't like them because they can kill me. Its just this weird thing that I have where I automatically don't like something in a game if it can kill me, and I get satisfaction from killing it, with the exception of archvilles. I like imps and zombiemen though. I don't know why. They just have this charm about them.

Lets put it this way
- Something in a game can kill me == Personal Vendetta against it, and I automatically hate it, and will try to kill it at all costs.

I hope that either cleared it up or confused you enough that I no longer need to explain myself! (Because I'm starting to confuse myself) :D

Share this post


Link to post

Hehe, no I got you. :) So basically, you love to hate monsters, and then kill them.

PS Actually for me it's quite satisfying to kill an archvile, it's like killing that huge spider on the wall that you can't just kill quite soon enough, and when it's done, you're like: die, you son of a bitch. Same goes for pain elementals for obvious reasons. I really love how they explode.

Share this post


Link to post

I've started playing Doom 3 three separate times and never made it through the game. I keep losing interest because I just don't seem to be enjoying myself.

Ironically the most fun I had playing it was when I used a mod that makes the monsters sound they do in Doom 2. If that mod changed the sounds for all the monsters (including the new ones) I think I might've actually finished the game.

Share this post


Link to post

I just played E1 all the way through for the first time in several years. I had to reload from a savegame twice. On HMP :-P

Share this post


Link to post

^ouch...


As for me I've been running SLIGE maps..

...and liking them, gameplay-wise. Don't care for insurmountable waist-high steps requiring an insurmountable waist-high lift.. but otherwise wow O_o

-macho 100 -biwe -bimo -bimo!

Share this post


Link to post

It's been a while since my previous confession.

So here goes: I am working on a map right now that isn't Vanilla. *shock*

Share this post


Link to post
Kotzugi said:

Same goes for pain elementals for obvious reasons.

They're even worse on fast mode, especially when you enable the unlimited lost souls setting in certain source ports.

Share this post


Link to post

I have beaten E1 on NM!. Despite this, I have failed to beat any other episode on UV-Fast.

I loathe E2. Whenever I play Ultimate Doom, I don't look forward to E2 at all.

E4M2 can go die in a fire for all I care.

The chainsaw is my most used weapon 75% of the time.

I find the SSG overpowered. I tend to use the regular shotty more for this reason.

I actually use the pistol for really accurate shots. I have no clue as to why.

I find Spiderdemons more annoying than Cyberdemons.

I call them Spiderdemons, not Spider Masterminds.

Share this post


Link to post
Avoozl said:

They're even worse on fast mode, especially when you enable the unlimited lost souls setting in certain source ports.

Indeed, and the lost souls themselves are incredibly annoying on fast mode as well, just like the pinkies and spectres.

Share this post


Link to post
Infirnex said:

I find Spiderdemons more annoying than Cyberdemons.

I call them Spiderdemons, not Spider Masterminds.

I suppose most of the Forum would agree on these.

Share this post


Link to post

They're more like centaurs in a sense, centaurs do have two sets of legs and two arms. But anyway I prefer mastermind being they mastered minded the invasion and have a large mind, spiderdemon just gives the idea of a demonic spider.

Share this post


Link to post
Avoozl said:

They're more like centaurs in a sense, centaurs do have two sets of legs and two arms. But anyway I prefer mastermind being they mastered minded the invasion and have a large mind, spiderdemon just gives the idea of a demonic spider.


I prefer calling them assholes, because they always end up either killing me, or seriously injuring me. I don't think there has been a moment that I have played Doom or Doom 2 and successfully killed a spider mastermind without cheating or losing massive amounts of health. I am successful with killing nearly ever other monster (With the exception of archvilles.)

Share this post


Link to post

I hate FDAs.

I understand the significance of them and they can be extremely valuable for a mapper getting feedback on what a player's first impression is, but I find them extremely tedious and grating to watch. Players tend to play extremely cautiously and pretend they're in real-life mode by poking out of corners and sniping monsters in the distance with the chaingun, analyzing their surroundings, and humping every insignificant wall for secrets (even those with no subtle hints at all) and generally playing in a way that is extremely boring, time-wasting, and frustrating to watch; excepting slaughtermaps where the aforementioned behavior isn't permitted.

This is particularly annoying in short episodes and megawads where players tend to be unrealistically suspicious of certain "fuck you" moments in the early levels of wads that are obviously not going to happen. It's too often completely unwarranted in the type of maps they play. When you're in a wide open room on MAP01 or MAP02 with nothing but your pistol and starting ammo, and there's like two or three zombiemen in the distance and maybe an imp or two, the mapper is not going to penetrate you with a surprise revenant horde or swarm of archviles. Just run up and kill em already!

I understand the player wants to nail it the first time so the viewer doesnt have to watch him die over and over again, but I find getting through a level without any prior knowledge of it much faster if you just rush through attempting to alarm as many monsters as possible and activate as many traps as you can, in hopes that it does kill you. Then you can go through the map up to where you were killed with some foreknowledge of what it going to happen. It's a bit sloppy but it's much faster and I would imagine it be more entertaining to watch for the viewer.

I may have not watched enough FDAs for a big enough variety of players but I absolutely hated all the ones I've seen yet.

Share this post


Link to post
DoomGuy123 said:

I prefer calling them assholes, because they always end up either killing me, or seriously injuring me. I don't think there has been a moment that I have played Doom or Doom 2 and successfully killed a spider mastermind without cheating or losing massive amounts of health.


Not even in The Crusher?

Share this post


Link to post
40oz said:

I hate FDAs.

...

I understand the player wants to nail it the first time so the viewer doesnt have to watch him die over and over again, but I find getting through a level without any prior knowledge of it much faster if you just rush through attempting to alarm as many monsters as possible and activate as many traps as you can, in hopes that it does kill you. Then you can go through the map up to where you were killed with some foreknowledge of what it going to happen. It's a bit sloppy but it's much faster and I would imagine it be more entertaining to watch for the viewer.


For me it's not a matter of wanting to get it the first time or even concern for who's watching, but instead just how I play without saving at all, since in non-FDA playing I'll save here and there (or all the time if it's a very hard level). Without that to fall back on I tend to play more cautiously.

I agree that FDAs can often be dull, when you're not the author of the level in question. When I watch them it's usually at 2x - 3x speed with PrBoom+.

Your idea of a suicide recon mission is interesting and would probably make for better viewing, but again, when I play and record an FDA I'm actually not that bothered by how entertaining my playing is at all.

Share this post


Link to post

I agree there with 40oz. I've never done a FDA myself but whenever I play new maps I'm usually quite fast and aggressive while not taking outright risks. This actually helps me to memorize the map quicker for some reason (which is useful for those large maps where you have to return a lot to certain places), and I use it as an opportunity to hone my combat skills as well. Yes I'll die here and there and yes it does suck that in an FDA you can't save but next time around I'll know what lies ahead. Maybe I should do a few of them and see how it turns out. :)

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×