Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

scifista42 said:

Relatively lot of experienced Doomers dislike IOS maps up to the point of deliberately not playing them. :) (I'm not one of these, though.)

I didn't like the one in Doom II or others like that where you have to ride a lift and time the shot while getting assaulted. So I never actually cared enough to finish that level. Actually never played Doom II straight through either.

But some megawads had nice IOS map; for example: Icarus, MM2, Congestion 384.

40oz said:

Then make the very first door in MAP01 use a generalized linedef so I can catch the issue early on. It's mappers that use one generalized linedef or some kinda voodoo doll trickery very late in the map, so that the map works completely fine and normal otherwise until I can't progress any further for no explicable reason.

I guess you misread something. All the maps are done in "Doom in Doom format", which means 1. no MAP01, but E1M1 instead 2. even with the limit-removing ports being advisory for playing to evade instances to drawseg/visplane overflows, none of the maps have the slightest chance to be able to use any of the voodoo trickery or generalized actions present in those Boom-esque maps and whatsoever.

@Cell: You've made yourself unclear in your previous post, because you said "limit-removing Boom engine" instead of just "limit-removing engine". It's okay to claim your map to be limit removing. It's not okay to claim your map to be limit removing if it uses Boom features (this wasn't your case, though). Oppositely (and this was your case), it is confusing to claim that your map should be run in a Boom engine if it doesn't have to (because it implies that -complevel 2 is wrong and -complevel 9 is right, while in reality it's the other way around).

Avoozl said:

Well the concept of fighting a Cyber Demon/Spider Mastermind as a boss or final monster has been overplayed as well, quite a few things have been overplayed basically.

I think that's entirely different, provided the boss is fought conventionally (not crushed, telefragged, etc). Shooting monsters while avoiding return fire is what one does in Doom and a boss fight that's more of the same is all well and good. One might as well say dodging fireballs or using the shotgun has been overplayed.

One of the reasons I hate IOS is it's where the rot of "trick key" bosses set into first-person shooters. Even Serious Sam couldn't just give you a big lad with a lot of health to plug away at.

scifista42 said:

@Cell: You've made yourself unclear in your previous post, because you said "limit-removing Boom engine" instead of just "limit-removing engine". It's okay to claim your map to be limit removing. It's not okay to claim your map to be limit removing if it uses Boom features (this wasn't your case, though). Oppositely (and this was your case), it is confusing to claim that your map should be run in a Boom engine if it doesn't have to (because it implies that -complevel 2 is wrong and -complevel 9 is right, while in reality it's the other way around).

Eh. I should really get myself into these exact definitions that Doom experts throw at each other.

TheOrganGrinder said:

Here's another one for the confession pile: I love BRICK11 and use it in my own maps whenever and wherever it's even vaguely reasonable to do so.

Hm, then you should really be loving Garrulo MAP07 for instance to come up with.

Doom has the strangest juxtaposition of Gothic and science fiction themes and I feel that style should've been pursued a bit more.

There's something oddly right about the harpsichord and pizzicato in Into Sandy's City. And something oddly charming about all those ancient-looking city textures in a game that takes place far in the future.

Jaxxoon R said:
Doom has the strangest juxtaposition of Gothic and science fiction themes and I feel that style should've been pursued a bit more.

There's something oddly right about the harpsichord and pizzicato in Into Sandy's City. And something oddly charming about all those ancient-looking city textures in a game that takes place far in the future.

God, yes.

That's really strong in episode 2, as you're wandering through these bizarre hybrid environments and wondering, are these architectural quirks a sign of Hell's intrusion or did the architect of UAC's Deimos base just really have unfulfilled desires to build things in a Neo-Gothic or Baroque style?

To pursue that style, I think you have to create a sense that something is not right about the whole affair. If you can blend high technology and Gothic/Baroque influences together in a way that feels complete and natural, you don't get Doom, you get Warhammer 40,000. But the jarring juxtaposition of the two... yes, that so works for me.

I've got a new rig coming in the next week or two. Once it's here and loaded up with my garbage I'm planning on doing a quite a number of /Newstuff reviews, maybe even making some brief video versions of them for my YouTube channel.

But goddamn do I need to do something about the ten or so projects I've started and are nowhere near close to finishing. Goddamn things starting, idling, imploding, and then devouring each other.

The sound of Michael Jackson's music makes me feel like doom mapping. Not sure what it is. Maybe it reminds me of the smooth criminal midi in ksutra.wad

Cell said:
Hm, then you should really be loving Garrulo MAP07 for instance to come up with.

Not familiar with this mapset but I'll check it out, thanks for the rec. :)

I'm okay with joe-ilya being losered for forum annoyingness (I know this doesn't sound nice), but I'm also glad that he continued making maps (he emailed some to pcorf for his community project). IMO, he improves very slowly, but surely. He will be an adult in a few years, and he's hopefully already maturing in his behaviour. He'd be a great contributor to the Doom community.

scifista42 said:

I'm okay with joe-ilya being losered for forum annoyingness (I know this doesn't sound nice), but I'm also glad that he continued making maps (he emailed some to pcorf for his community project). IMO, he improves very slowly, but surely. He will be an adult in a few years, and he's hopefully already maturing in his behaviour. He'd be a great contributor to the Doom community.

You just said what I feel about Joe-Ilya.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

I'm ashamed of telling my friends that i'm Playing DOOM T_T,they're considering it as a Childs game ..

Ha ha, That's rich! I'll bet most of them think CoD is an "adults game".

Piper Maru said:

It's always "You play Doom, why? It's so old!!!!"

I try to explain them to why Doom is so great, but they don't listen.

Avoozl said:

Ha ha, That's rich! I'll bet most of them think CoD is an "adults game".

Most of this. I've never ever gotten myself into any of the modern FPS or even RPGs and so (also, RPG for me stands for DN3D's "Rocket Propelled Grenade" and nothing else, excluding the last sentence where I refer to "Role Playing Games"). Of course I am considered to be primitive, but look at me having no smart phone either, I can live w/ it.

When I first played Doom I thought the zombie man 'search' noise where grunts of frustration from doom guy because he hadn't killed anything for too long.

Captain Red said:

When I first played Doom I thought the zombie man 'search' noise where grunts of frustration from doom guy because he hadn't killed anything for too long.

Very similarly, I thought you heard the Doomguy's breathing sometimes.

Piper Maru said:

It's always "You play Doom, why? It's so old!!!!"

I try to explain them to why Doom is so great, but they don't listen.

I always say "New gen players are the only childs here .. >_< "

I'd been withholding the idea of mixing sounds together to make multipurpose sound effects for dooms environmental sounds.

1. A switch sound that sounds like a switch, but also sounds like glass breaking or a rocks crumbling.

2. A platform stop sound that also sounds like a warp sound, and like a water splash sound.

I've seen shoot switches simulate smashing glass, and destructible walls, I've also seen a wad that replaced lift sounds with water splashes and put floor move triggers surrounding bodies of water. Also a sound that makes instant floor traps make a little more sense or something.

The sounds would need to be kinda fuzzy and not very easily distinguishable on their own, but paired with the actions they perform in the maps, it would sound a bit accurate to what's happening on the map. It's not much of a confession but I don't have any doom TCs in mind that would justify a new sound for those things, so I probably wont ever get around trying to make it. It's an interesting experiment though and I'd like to see someone try to do it.

The first time I played Nightmare on E1M1, I stayed in the room with the Shotgun Guys and the armor at the start of the level. I kept killing them as they were respawning. At the time, I didn't know they were respawning, I thought monsters had the ability to teleport in Nightmare. So I kept thinking to myself, "Why are all these Shotgun Guys teleporting into the room? Maybe they're coming from the other side of the room. If I keep killing them, the rest of the map should be cleaned out."

Cell said:

And I was surprised when they actually came from... Mancubi. :D

Heh. Misunderstandings like that always give me a bit of shock when I'm on low health and round a corner to a mancubus right in my face. Tenfold that with Hideous Destructor + awful immolation right after.