Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

Memfis said:

CTFmap
I wonder if some hardcore players complain that it is not 100% symmetrical.

Heh. Maybe jokingly. I doubt that they'd complain seriously.

MetroidJunkie said:

I wonder how well a humans vs demons mode would pan out. Demons would naturally be the tougher ones and have special abilities while humans would have the edge in weapon diversity. The trick would be balancing it out.

Like this recent MP mode does?

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/72206-super-demon/

Memfis said:

I also can't get into Doom CTF. I absolutely loved it in Quake 3 but in Doom it is too fast, the SSG is too powerful, the 3D aspect is weaker and... I dunno, overall it just feels like an uncool and unsatisfying downgrade from Quake 3.

I can play CTF in UT, Quake III, and near-enough any game which was built around CTF (or variations thereof) being a standard gamemode. The reasons you list are precisely why I can't stand it in Doom; once someone's away from the fight and holding your flag, that's almost invariably it. There's very little chance of stopping them from successfully speeding back to base, behind a meatshield of allies, and simply scoring a point, unlike UT/Quake III.

scifista42 said:

O lawd, it's actually still alive? I remember playing this Christ knows how long ago. Definitely a good laugh, although it certainly needed a lot of tuning back then.

BaronOfStuff said:

I can play CTF in UT, Quake III, and near-enough any game which was built around CTF (or variations thereof) being a standard gamemode. The reasons you list are precisely why I can't stand it in Doom; once someone's away from the fight and holding your flag, that's almost invariably it. There's very little chance of stopping them from successfully speeding back to base, behind a meatshield of allies, and simply scoring a point, unlike UT/Quake III.

The things that help to do the trick are railgun-type weapons and fast exploding projectiles (and slower player speed), right?

More to do with the slower player speed than anything else. You still zip around at a fairly decent speed in Quake III, but not to the point where most of the weapons are useless at putting down an escaping runner.

True, but then you'd get the idiots bitching about "RUINING MUH DOOM" because they're unable to use all of Doom's movement quirks as effectively (if at all). It's lose/lose.

Some people just want everything their own way with no compromise. If they can SR50 from A-B and back again while using the SSG then it's still pure old-school Doom as far as they care, regardless of everything else.

^^The point probably is: If the game got fixed to suit preference of BaronOfStuff (who never got into Doom CTF), it would piss off the people who do like Doom CTF as it is.

1. I never cared for LA World's PWADS (I dunno if that is really a big deal or not.)

2. I don't care for Doom 3.

Alien Vendetta has nicely detailed maps, but I'm not a big fan of battling hundreds of enemies in most of the levels. Especially when the more powerful enemies are lined up like soldiers.

I agree. If I had to pick one of them to be erased from existence, I think I'd erase Shores of Hell. Duke's space stations are stylish.

My preference of Doom episodes: E1 >> E2 > E3 > E4.
E2 is behind E1 because I find its level design and gameplay less appealing.
E3 is behind E2 because of E3M5, which frustrated me.
E4 is behind E3 because of multiple frustrating maps: E4M1, E4M2, E4M5, E4M6. Most of the frustration has something to do with damaging floors, darkness, or overpowered enemies.

I never cared much for Doom II Map14. Seems like everyone slobbers over it though.

I'm probably in a minority here when I say that I liked E3M5 too. I like luring all monsters into the central courtyard for a big fight.

I don't really see the appeal of map14 either, thought zeromaster's record breaking speedrun features an awesome rocket jump that made me think a little differently about it. The little bridge between the two areas that have doors operated by walkover lines was so annoying to me the first time I played it. Why couldnt American just make the doors able to be activated too? Why do I have to run back to the line?

The rest of the map isn't very special to me either.

As a kid, I always got a little scared in Hangar at the beginning, where you can see through the windows to the right to the zig-zag room across from you. The Imp can also see you and start throwing fireballs at you. I would just stand there and wait for him to attack me.

E2 and E4 are my favorite episodes, but with E1 I'm just neutral towards it, and with E3 I never cared much for it besides for one or two maps out of it.

I definitely prefer E3 over E2, E3 has more of the horror feeling that you're actually roaming around on the surface of hell. E2 was more or less a greener tech base, wasn't nearly as interesting.

Guest Unregistered account
MetroidJunkie said:

I wonder how well a humans vs demons mode would pan out. Demons would naturally be the tougher ones and have special abilities while humans would have the edge in weapon diversity. The trick would be balancing it out.

There's actually a mod that's played extensively right now on Zandronum known as Master of Puppets. (MoP for short :D)

Yep, this was back on the SkullTag scene... *sigh*

I remember playing that once, it was kind of fun at first but it wore off the second time.

Is it just me or does Doom-Guy have a bodybuilder ass which is being compressed into unexplainable tight pants with (even weirder) broad lose leg pipes underneath. As seen in the preview of the video posted by Joe667.

40oz said:

I don't really see the appeal of map14 either [...]

I like its coherency in style. Actually, it’s almost boring. But luckily only almost.

walter confalonieri said:

Today, when i was recording a demo for this thing using doom2 iwad, i found this "secret" room on map24 after 17 years i play this game

Oddly enough, this was also the last area I discovered in Doom 2 some 4 years ago, and when I mentioned it to a couple of other folks they also conceded the same thing. I'd be interested to hear from others around here what the last area they discovered in the game was, either for Doom or Doom 2 (I imagine there are plenty of people who haven't uncovered all of the Final Doom areas... and come to think of it, I should probably have a look around myself).

Non-secret tagged "secret" areas are brilliant; totally counterintuitive, but still!

I seriously doubt that I know all areas in Doom 1/2, or even all secrets. I haven't seen that many iwad UV-Maxes, but from what I watched I learned quite a bit of new stuff.