Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
The_MártonJános

Classic PWAD oddities (Requiem)

So, recently I've played Requiem, since I've seen and heard about it a lot. Being a great and successful WAD, still, I've noticed some strange features I couldn't keep inside.

1. Memento Mori MAP08, Requiem MAP10 - Intentional resemblence?
Both maps do remind me of Thy Flesh Consumed, especially if thinking of hybrid mixes made out of Perfect Hatred and Against Thee Wickedly. Sometimes the other maps' homages seem to be ecountered, but not that often (maybe Fear is the middleway with all that WOOD5 and FLAT5_1?). To be honest, there are still features that keep only these two maps to be inspired from/about each other. The best example is to mention areas tiled by FLOOR4_6 (and mostly edged by STEP6), which wasn't that common in E4. The other is the also quite similar music (not to mention Mark Klem composed both, though the MM08 is an untitled one).

2. Difference between Dry Rot and Dry Rot?
MAP18 (Base of Thorn) and MAP23 (Hatred) literally have the same soundtrack, but, as listened to a little bit more precisely, there are slight differences between them. MAP18's soundtrack ends "abruptly" (is actually 2 seconds shorter than the MAP23 one) and some riffs are differing from the other one, especially at 0:22-0:36. And not only these are oddly "renditioned", if listening hard to either the MAP16-MAP22, or the MAP20-MAP25 ones, the differences can be detected easily.
However, whether Klem and Tolwyn have thought that this might increase the gameplay enjoyment factor, they were - at least a l'il bit, but - right.

Cell said:

1. Memento Mori MAP08, Requiem MAP10 - Intentional resemblence?
Both maps do remind me of Thy Flesh Consumed, especially if thinking of hybrid mixes made out of Perfect Hatred and Against Thee Wickedly. Sometimes the other maps' homages seem to be ecountered, but not that often (maybe Fear is the middleway with all that WOOD5 and FLAT5_1?). To be honest, there are still features that keep only these two maps to be inspired from/about each other. The best example is to mention areas tiled by FLOOR4_6 (and mostly edged by STEP6), which wasn't that common in E4. The other is the also quite similar music (not to mention Mark Klem composed both, though the MM08 is an untitled one).

Orin flaharty, the author of both maps, made E4 his signature style in his contributions to MM and MM2 (excepting that E1 style secret level). He's really good at making those kinds of maps, too. They're not the hardest but they are among the most professional levels to be found in the mapsets.

kmxexii said:

Orin flaharty, the author of both maps, made E4 his signature style in his contributions to MM and MM2 (excepting that E1 style secret level). He's really good at making those kinds of maps, too. They're not the hardest but they are among the most professional levels to be found in the mapsets.

Wasn't he accidentally either the originator or the author to MM2 MAP24? That is also a pretty UD experience, though it featured D2 monsters, too.

Good to mention, however. Might Google about him.

Cell said:

Wasn't he accidentally either the originator or the author to MM2 MAP24? That is also a pretty UD experience, though it featured D2 monsters, too.

Good to mention, however. Might Google about him.

Actually, I believe that is Sean Birkel's work (Fava Beans), and if I recall correctly it is based off an E1-style map he released unfinished to the archives (Shit Doom, I think?). Phonepostin' or I'd put up the links. It's interesting seeing authors who were known primarily for OG Doom maps play with the expanded bestiary, like Holger Nathrath's Map 11 for the largely unreleased Serenity megawad for Doom II.