Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bucket

Beavis and Butthead preview

geo said:

It'll be souless as everything that makes a return >> Sublime, Alice in CHains, the Critic, Futurama, Family Guy, Duke Nukem... Pet Cemetary...

Family Guy was shit before it got canceled, and it came back to be slightly better. Futurama is just as good as before.

I'd say a few episodes from the last season of Futurama are as good as it was. This season seems Simpsonesque.

Family Guy got old after Fox brought it back (for a 3rd time).

geo said:

Family Guy got old after Fox brought it back (for a 3rd time).

It got old by turning from a show with a plot into a sounding board for Seth McDouchebag's social commentary.

Eh all animated sitcoms are social commentaries. Simpsons, Family Guy, Futurama and South Park. The good ones explore both sides of the coin.

I don't know why everyone is acting like this season is Futurama's return. What about last season? Or the movies?

The one thing that is "off" about the new Futurama episodes is that they are a bit more "edgy" than the old ones. The show never really needed to be edgy with its good characters and fun humor, and I just hope it doesn't go the route of South Park.

Use3D said:

It got old by turning from a show with a plot into a sounding board for Seth McDouchebag's social commentary.

Pretty much. It used to be a decent show, albeit a bit of a ripoff of The Simpsons. Then when it came back, it just sort of turned into a cavalcade of random jokes. Hell, half of them aren't even jokes, it's just repeating bits from others shows, movies, music, and the like.

This season isn't its return... although if you listen to DVD commentary on the 5th boxed set they say 1 season of comedy central is 26 episodes and they filmed 13 and came out with a DVD and now they're doing the 2nd 13... so technically this is still their debut season by the Futurama creator's own words.

The movies kept getting worse and worse. I have everything Futurama. The first movie was strong, the second movie was meh, the third was bad and the fourth I didn't get any laughs out of. Maybe its because they're 90 minutes and I'm done after 24 minutes.

But yes there's something off this new season.

Use3D said:

It also began to rely way too much on Brian and Stewie to carry entire episodes. I miss when the show was about all the main characters. :(

Danarchy said:

The show never really needed to be edgy with its good characters and fun humor, and I just hope it doesn't go the route of South Park.

But didn't South Park start out as just a shock-value show and then get turned into Libertarian propaganda?

It started out more as a shock-value show with a good amount of childishness and wit attached to it, then turned into a clever social commentary, and in the last few seasons has devolved into a "Jersey Shore sucks lol" type of show. I only dislike the latter of the 3 and wish it would just go back to being funny. Too bad Matt and Trey just seem like grumpy old men now.

I have been watching South Park since the beginning and don't think its really changed much at all. They've always mocked popular culture.

Well, it started out as a funny show that pushed the boundaries a lot, but it seemed to devolve into pushing the boundaries for no reason other than just doing so, and forgot to be funny in the meantime. Or maybe I just grew up, I dunno.

South Park has kinda lost some of the attraction it once had, I mean, like Danarchy said, they really just seem to be pushing things because they want to. They do it just to do it, just to push things, like that Muhammad in the Bear Suit thing a while back.

If you had to make X amount of episodes for the rest of your life you'd be pushing too...

Anyway, listening to DVD commentary for Family Guy episodes in the later seasons they laugh about how they know they're not funny anymore to anyone else, but Fox still pays them so its ok. I think its one of those half serious things. So many of their jokes are just random where its funny because its unexpected like a startle that scares you when its not really scary.