xvertigox

Any other deathcore fans?

Do you like deathcore?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like deathcore?

• Yes!
    • No - it\'s just rubbish

I can't fucking stand deathcore.
It just feels like each band is trying to make the heaviest wall of sound not the best music they can play. (unless this is the best music they can play)

on another note I had a friend that played in a metalcore band. one thing that they told me was that they would change their sound if they ever got board of what they were playing.
That is coming from an unsigned band. I would think that it would be a lot harder to change what you were playing if you were signed.

GoatLord said:

Everything sounds thin and tinny and "shiny." In the old days of analogue and even early digital recording, there was a bass-heavy, meaty, chunky feel to it all.

I actually disagree with this statement. I feel as if the guitars of yesteryear were THINNER, mostly because:

A: Overdubs weren't as commonplace as they are today.
B: The lack of overdubs left the bass room to breathe, filling in the sound.

Nowadays, each guitar track you hear on an album is at LEAST 2 guitars on each side. The bass player follows suit with distortion, which blends his signal in with the guitars completely. And even if the guitarist used different amps and guitars on each separate track, the presence of that much distortion causes phasing issues and the entire track sounds like one big sack of shit. And that's not even counting when the bass is DI'ed, and the drums are using triggers...

Mr. Freeze said:

Or maybe they got sick and tired of playing straightforward death metal? Writing the same songs for years and years can get tiring. Unless you are saying that changing your sound at all is bad...which is completely retarded.

;)

Their first two albums were goregrind, and their third was more death metal, and I enjoy all three of them, and each sounds completely different from the last. Nice try though. If you think that every straight forward death metal song is by default written in exactly the same way to every other then you are a retard who can't decipher death metal but likes to make broad generalizations based on your own failures to understand it. But hey, while we're on the topic of bashing different tastes, with regards to tedious song writing you should maybe worry more about the metal core and nu metal you listen to, as that's as formulaic as they come where each band seems to be a carbon copy of the rest with the same lazy and bland chugga chugga guitaring, and flat song writing that revolves around "Chorus Verse, Chorus, verse, breakdown, chorus, verse". No thanks. And deathcore was inspired by nu metal and metalcore. :)

Changing your sound isn't bad in itself, like how DismembeR have added Iron Maiden styled melodies in their latest songs to spice them up and have been getting more and more technical but they write music because they love it, and they still write pure death metal. But when a metal band decides to shit on their fans and legacy to write shallow crap to cater for a bunch of weekend metal-heads that aren't even going to be listening to metal in 5 years time I get disappointed. But as I said, I speak for my own disappointment over their style changes to music with less substance, I don't care what crap you listen to.

(edited for bad spelling)

DeathevokatioN said:

distinct and great songs

Which all sounded the same. jk.

Anyway, in one sentence Descanting the Insalubrious is what I'd consider Carcass' best work. It's just how I like my death metal: brutal but organised, chunky and distinguishable riffs without being repetitious or too "catchy". But I'm not forbidding anyone to disagree, either.

DoomUK said:

...But I'm not forbidding anyone to disagree, either.

I disagree. You don't like your death metal like that at all really ;)

Phobus said:

I disagree. You don't like your death metal like that at all really ;)

Explain.

Admittedly I tried to pigeon hole precisely what I like to hear in one genre out of several genres of music that I enjoy, which is a bad idea because all of the death metal bands I like sound quite different. But if you're going to nitpick a rough description of something like that then you need to chill.

DoomUK said:

Which all sounded the same. jk.

Reek sounded the same to me the first few times I heard it too, but each time I heard it grew on me and I started noticing more and more depth in it once I started deciphering through the production, until it became my favorite album. Descanting the Insalubrious is a decent album, it's more what they wrote after it where they lost me. ;)

I like bands who deliver an honest and powerful conviction.

Carcass gore-grind stuff is by far their best. But I'm a person who'll pick any gore-grind over death metal and death core for that matter.

Come to think about it, I hate death core and the macho style that comes with it (I'm not saying all death core fans are macho, but it's really a common theme, or maybe I'm mixing it with boston breakdown HC). I was very into 90's screamo and stuff like that before, but I can't really admit that I like it anymore cause people seem to make connections between crab core, death core, metal core, christian ass crap mongoloid core or what ever it's called and screamo.

It's very immature to think this way about music, but I can't help but to feel that way.

Pretty off topic, but what the hell.

That should have been saved for when the inevitable Doomworld Tr00 Kvlt Black Metal Thread comes along. Every once in a while there's a spate of these kind of threads.

Mr. Freeze said:

I actually disagree with this statement. I feel as if the guitars of yesteryear were THINNER, mostly because:

A: Overdubs weren't as commonplace as they are today.
B: The lack of overdubs left the bass room to breathe, filling in the sound.

Nowadays, each guitar track you hear on an album is at LEAST 2 guitars on each side. The bass player follows suit with distortion, which blends his signal in with the guitars completely. And even if the guitarist used different amps and guitars on each separate track, the presence of that much distortion causes phasing issues and the entire track sounds like one big sack of shit. And that's not even counting when the bass is DI'ed, and the drums are using triggers...

I feel what you're saying, but my complaint comes from the fact that they plug their guitars directly into software. That's what makes it sound so weirdly fake to me.

GoatLord said:

I feel what you're saying, but my complaint comes from the fact that they plug their guitars directly into software. That's what makes it sound so weirdly fake to me.

I hear you on that one. My complaint is the studio magic that alot of these crap big name modern metal bands like Dragon Force have nowadays, they do so much mixing that it takes the soul out of the music and makes it sound like computer music, and then Dragon Force can't even play their instruments live.

I also can't listen to the remaster of Death - "Scream Bloody Gore", the digital remaster makes the riffs harder to hear and it makes the album generally sound clumsier and took the bite out of the riffs, while the analog version has a more natural and dirty feel to it while still being able to hear each riff, same with UnleasheD's debut digital remastering, totally destroyed that early 90's Swedish death metal vibe the album had. You can bring up as much arguments, and perks as you want, but I just prefer analog because it suites the music I listen to, more.

Analog till the death.