Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Phml said:

Do you intend for your cybies to eventually fall down? I ask because it happens often with BFG shots and such, and I remember the original map was in -complevel 2. If it is unintended, all you'd have to do is to add "block monster" to their sector linedefs.

I havn't made up my mind yet about that. But I guess I should block monster cause it looks stupid when the cyber gets stuck when he's about to fall down.

Early shot of mine

The square contains a huge tower which can be entered by teleporter. The canyon system at the lower right is completely unfinished and will be moved further away. The bright part connecting them will eventually become a maze-like system reminiscent of Serious Sam, from which you can see your destination (tower) in the distance.

dannebubinga said:

I havn't made up my mind yet about that. But I guess I should block monster cause it looks stupid when the cyber gets stuck when he's about to fall down.

For what it's worth, in my playthroughs, it hurt me badly in the HK room as the cybies falling down wandered around and, along with their friends still on the marble platforms, eventually cornered me.

Phml said:

For what it's worth, in my playthroughs, it hurt me badly in the HK room as the cybies falling down wandered around and, along with their friends still on the marble platforms, eventually cornered me.

Ok, I've set the platforms to block monster. Should I upload a new version already with the minor changes I've made?

Sure, it doesn't hurt. Unless your bandwidth is capped or something. :)

@dannebubinga - your map as it is is a bit over my skill level to play aggressively. It could also be that I'm more comfortable taking my sweet time these days. Just finished the entirety of em116.wad without more than a handful of deaths a few days ago, playing like a scaredy cat, and it felt great.

Anyway, here's what I got so far. There were ten remaining cybies in the HK room that eventually killed me.

I think you've really captured the HR feel all the way in this map, and the HK room is my favorite part. Thinning the horde while having to avoid cybie rockets and maneuver around the marble platforms was a nice, fun challenge.

Just from the max perspective, taking out the remaining cyberdemons does seem a bit of a hassle, even if the player isn't as wasteful with his ammo as I am. In the bottom floor, you're very exposed, on the top outside floor, you have limited maneuverability and still no cover, on the top inside floor, you can't shoot rockets as the windows are too high while the cybies can shoot you. It doesn't make for an entertaining experience, and some crusher action might be better as you've suggested (except I'd extend it to all the cyberdemons in that room rather than just the two).

On the other side of the map, I haven't much to say, it feels solid all the way. The revenant cage + cybie with archviles teleporting later on works well and leaves plenty of options, between killing everything right away, trying to get infighting going, trying to kill just enough to go through and activate the switch (but then archviles are harder to kill). I thought the archviles teleporting behind that flesh pillar was a nice touch, forcing you to either put yourself under fire from mancubuses or having to deal with revenants being ressurected. The archvile cages were OK, perhaps a bit long to clear considering the height, distance and relative lack of health at this point - it could use 2 or 3 less archviles in each while keeping its initial purpose and be less of a timesink when the smoke clears, I believe, but it's not critical either way.

One thing that I found slightly frustrating was that I had some ammo left on the red platforms, and no way to access it. The ammo is tight, just right mind you, but tight, so those extra ammo boxes really taunt me at this point. ;)

I'm also not too sure about the cybies roaming near the yellow/blue key doors. On one hand, it's somewhat fun to have to try and estimate how far the cybie is with the sound alone and get out just at the right time. On the other hand, it all seems a bit luck-based and cramped, potentially frustrating. No definite opinion either way. Perhaps windows next to the doors, high windows the cybies couldn't shoot through (possibly with a pillar in the middle so the player couldn't shoot either) as to be able to tell more accurately where the cybie is might help.

On another playthrough, I was annoyed at going for the left area first and finding myself baron food after teleporting back, as along with imps they filled the teleporting sector. Admittedly, it's only a problem if someone leaves monsters behind.

Overall, it's an enjoyable map with clever fights. I often felt stuck in a conservative playstyle due to relative lack of health/cover, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, and just looking at it I can see how a player with greater skill could keep it fastpaced all the way through.

phml:

Holy crap, thanks for the feedback. When I watched your demo I was once again striken by how different we all play. I realised that I have to make 2 major changes. The dwelling cybies at the small doors are way to random to be fun. I will make them teleport to the brown bricks the mancubus is on. The hell room is not fun with all those cybers left alive with only rocket or SSG ammo left. I will install some sort of crusher to take care of them :)

The ammo that gets left on the red brick platforms are meant to be a taunt ;) Seriously, the reason I lowered the stone platforms in that area is that it would be to easy to take cover from the mancubus + their mobility isn't the best so they are hardly a threat with those platforms there. I could make them rise again after pushing the switch though, but it's not THAT tight with ammo.

I really think you have the skill to play this map more agressive (judging from this demo and others I've seen of you), you have to believe in yourself phml :)

I agree with you, the stone platforms definitely have to lower. I was just thinking maybe part of the red platforms could lower, or maybe the ammo could be somewhere else. It's not a big deal and out of all my playthroughs I never ran out of ammo, I just am consistently very low - which adds another interesting dynamic to the final archvile cages as I always have to run and dodge to pick up these remaining rocket boxes. It's just... You know. It DOES taunt me. Heh. That's not necessarily bad, who says hell has to play fair?

With the changes you mentioned I would have no complaint left with the map.

After adding sectors in the all-visible part, things started to lag, so I decided to split the maps up in two maps, one leading to the tower, while seeing it in the distance, and one with the actual tower. Now it runs smooth again.

dannebubinga: I couldn't get past the first room without cheats. I died five times trying. Is it supposed to be this hard, and am I just not up to standards, or do I have to play 110% careful and -10% rushing?

Zom-B said:

I couldn't get past the first room without cheats. I died five times trying. Is it supposed to be this hard, and am I just not up to standards, or do I have to play 110% careful and -10% rushing?

5 tries isn't really much buddy. You can't take it to easy cause you'll eventually get cornered by imps. My advice is to keep trying ;)

Your map looks huge btw. Looking forward to it

phml:

here's my best attempt at cat so far. Dunno wth I was doing before I died. http://www.mediafire.com/?c278xa85qgii26p

One thing that annoyed the crap out of me was the platform in the starting room (the one with the cyber and plasma gun on). All the dead bodies and especially the ultra-annoying cacodemon body blocked the sight totally when I was fighting in that room later on. The pyramide could be set to lower after the plasma rifle is grabbed?

You avoided lowering the invulnerability switch, you trickster!

Heh, I must have started this map more than a hundred times by now (not complete playthroughs, of course), and not once, not a single time have I thought to step immediately to the left, the right or possibly backwards instead of forward.

You make a good point about the pyramid. I believed it made for some nice "alternative" difficulty with the bodies obscuring the view plus monsters on the ground changing height if you were up on the stairs as well as making projectiles harder to dodge, and give incentive to fight stuff in the more cramped flesh corridors rather than stay in this room and wait for everything, but this is a case of the mapper viewing his own stuff with rose-colored glasses, I think. Ultimately the room is too small for that and I'll change it. Thanks!

I like how the map played during the rest of your demo, so no additional changes planned for now.

Link to updated map here.

Here's the map I made for 'fest. It's a small one, originally intended to be a map01. It has good difficulty, and all parts are accessible, even the rocky canyonside when you first start up. There is plenty of ammo in the level to kill all monsters, though it is hard to find and in not-so-common areas. You gotta know when EXACTLY to use what weapon when you need to use it, as this map requires that strategy. Look for secrets in the most common (or uncommon?) places. Based off an earlier game I was making, along with some Doom2-esque detailing. Also, when you play this, make sure you play in Zdoom or GZDoom. Any other port screws up some of the walls and causes HOMs for a reason I don't know.

Final level name: "Fortress of Abandon"

http://www.mediafire.com/?pre7vi18zhzcmff

[EDIT] Oh, scratch that. It screws up in Zdoom for some reason too. And you have to play trhis with gothictx.wad

TheSpazztikOne: No prboom+, no play ;( I tried it in prboom+ but some doors were inaccessable. The texture alginment was HORRENDOUS tbh. You could work some more on this map before submitting it I believe.

phml: I tried the latest version and it seemed ok! I just thought about another thing that was a bit annoying but it's not necessary to fix. I think there are to many imps teleporting in to the pyramid. They are just cannonfodder and works more as a timesink more than a challenge. Anyways, thanks for making this map. I had a great time playing it! I will hopefully give you a succesfull uv max in the future :)

The imps are definitely there to be cannonfodder, to act as a constant nuisance rather than a real threat. Without them, I feel it'd be too easy to clear everything room to room and let any new stuff pile up for the slaughter in the openings/doors leading to the first room. As it is, you can do that but you have to watch your back every now and then, which is better in my opinion.

One could of course just wait it out, but I think the teleport is slow enough to make that choice unappealing - while at the same time leaving the option open.

I have never ever made a Slaughter map before. But i've lately been playing so many slaughter maps that i thought wth, why not try to make one.

theres the starting area. Went a little crazy with the colors and textures, they might be stuff that will change overtime :P the sky will atleast be changed.

Mine is done probably:
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/29796281/slotter.wad

or same file here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=29TBWQUO

intended for complevel 9, uvmax (speed would be lame),iddt & hud

Its pretty much just a sequence of 5 smaller maps, each focusing on a different gun. I intentionally made it so you can't backtrack, because otherwise you'd be able to mostly skip earlier areas then return with superior firepower. I figure iddt + hud would remove the potential straggler problem caused by this.

I forgot to add coop starts or choose a song though.

gggmork: wow, the last "map" is brutal. FDA (I didn't bother with the areas that I completed before)

btw am I supposed to use only one weapon in each area?

phml: I just noticed something that I feel like I should let you know. In the flesh room with all the pinkys blocking the stairs up to the blue key. On the right side, the pinkys will climb down the stair towards you, on the left side they won't climb down the last step (typical pinky behaviour). They are also just cannon fodder so I don't think this is a big problem, I just wanted to let you know if your intention was for them to attack you from both sides :)

I made a list of all the WAD's so far in the topic, since there were some people asking earlier in the topic or something. I think I may have missed one, but I'm not sure. I didn't list ones in development, only completed ones. I also didn't list ones removed from the project.

Odd-o-matic: Death Below Paths of Pain Killtastrophe!
Phml: Cat
Olympus: Unholy Courtyard
dannebubinga: First WAD (Unfinished)
gggmork: First WAD
TheSpazztikOne: Fortress of Abandon (Requires GZDoom for some reason)

TrueDude said:

Alright, I'll just list it as unfinished.

Also, all my levels have names:
First WAD: Death Below
Second WAD: Paths of Pain.
and Killtastrophe is correct.