Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

@deathfactoryx: Your map looks really good that you are making from the earlier shots. I hope you make a boom compat. version. But for my map, i am trying to make a good, fun map that pushes monster count beyond Holy Hell. Yes, I can make a good slaughtermap without 20k + monsters, but i want to try to see how far i can push the limits.

Well. here it is. It's about as done as I can get it right now. busy with another project at the moment (Doom RPG). Anyway, here's the finished product of "Fortress of Abandon". If anyone would like to eidit it, that's ok. Most of the alignments are fixed except for a couple. doors and everything work, so that's good too. Enjoy, all.

http://www.mediafire.com/?e3jct3ia4s99jts

Grain of Salt said:

9. I don't think this is a slaughtermap. The monster placement is very sparse and tends towards small, distinct fights.

Seconded. I like the effort, but this isn't slaughter.

Grain of Salt said:

9. I don't think this is a slaughtermap. The monster placement is very sparse and tends towards small, distinct fights.

Thirded!

Does Toke's coopbuildlm count as slauthermaps?

Toke, may he slaughter in heaven, made those maps with classic compatibility in mind but the only surviving online servers run it with mouselook, jump, fast weapons, etc. This is not how it was supposed to be played, but people agree it's fun either way. Moreover, some people prefer the fast weapons because it would otherwise take hours to finish some maps, even with 4 players.

Zom-B said:

Does Toke's coopbuildlm count as slauthermaps?

Toke, may he slaughter in heaven, made those maps with classic compatibility in mind but the only surviving online servers run it with mouselook, jump, fast weapons, etc. This is not how it was supposed to be played, but people agree it's fun either way. Moreover, some people prefer the fast weapons because it would otherwise take hours to finish some maps, even with 4 players.

Havn't played his maps so I dunno.

You can still play this mapset that way (in zdoom) if you feel like it but you will like phml have said a thousand time by now: break the map. I for sure don't make my maps with freelook or jumping in mind, that would ruin the fun IMO. You don't have to map zdoom specific to make the maps run in zdoom. So just apply or leave this project, or at least stop ranting about how zdoom rulezzzz.

edit: this is not directly towards you zom-b, but to all boom haters.

Does someone know how to configure the right button in prboom to just "use" something? The main issue is; I don't want a single button to be shared between move and use!!

DoomHero85 said:

@deathfactoryx: Your map looks really good that you are making from the earlier shots. I hope you make a boom compat. version. But for my map, i am trying to make a good, fun map that pushes monster count beyond Holy Hell. Yes, I can make a good slaughtermap without 20k + monsters, but i want to try to see how far i can push the limits.

That map IS Boom compatible. I never said I was making it for zDoom. I was just asking questions about the choice of port was all.

Phml said:

I wasn't even considering ACS or DECORATE, and was refering to more fundamental, basic issues. How do you balance a map properly if you can't know whether your players will have the BLOCKMAP fix, infinitelytall actors, autoaim, mouselook on or off? Just playing with a few of these settings can break a map, which is a fairly big deal when the whole thing is supposed to be about gameplay.

If the map is zDoom specific, blockmap issues and infinitely tall actors are a moot point since zDoom uses z height calculations for its actors, and any kind of zDoom editing requires a modern bsp builder like zennode or ZDBSP. Blockmap fix is a non-issue with zDoom. Autoaim and mouselook considerations are something easily addressed in a map specific zDoom config file, though most zDoom users would view that as quite unnecessary. Frankly, citing autoaim and mouselook as game breaking considerations is making mountains out of mole hills. That's a player decision, not an editor decision.

Phml said:

Having to ask people to get the latest version is, to me, one of the things I listed as a "con" when I said people shouldn't be expected to read instructions before playing.

If someone can't be bothered to spend 30 seconds reading a txt file before playing a WAD, well that's just plain lazy. Just sayin. That goes for making a 30 second download too. It's not like updated zDoom files are all that hard to find. But if that bothers you, then ok.

Phml said:
If you want to hear that ZDoom is the absolute best in every possible situation and nothing else should be used, well, for starters you probably shouldn't ask people who like Boom what's the point of Boom as it is unlikely to result in such a reply, and additionally you might want to come up with more convincing arguments than "it's really not that hard" or "just make sure users follow the instructions".
[/B]

Firstly, you need to understand that zDoom is the only source port I have ever used in my 6 years of mapping, so naturally I was curious about the Boom port preference. I'd never really used it. So I wanted to know why it was being preferred. My questions weren't a veiled slight upon Boom/Boom users or a "HERP DERP meh zDOOMZ fer teh WINZ" argument. And as I pointed out in the first column above, the arguments you made for making zDoom seem unsuited seemed kind of blown out of proportion. Regardless, my questions pertaining to Boom were answered and I understand why it is liked here, so I won't trouble you with my zDoom stripes any further.

Phml said:
Good luck with your ZDoom slaughtermap, but know that if I can break it, I will, and while I won't say anything, I will feel terribly smug about it. Nobody likes a smug Phml, even a silent one.[/B]

The only way you will "break" it is if you try to play it in anything besides zDoom. ;)

Grain of Salt said:

Scythe II MAP30.

First of all, thanks for giving me the heads up on this WAD, this is awesome stuff. I played map 30, and though I never use auto aim, i tried it and I switched between mouselook (my default) and with it off. Yeah, a little different, but again, this more of a PLAYER CHOICE than an EDITOR consideration. Mole hill bro.

To be honest, I'd prefer normal doom (okay, prboom+) behavior over zdoom behaviour when trying to play slaughterish stuff under semi-normal conditions (no jump / crouch / freelook). Immediate lose of speed when bumping onto enemy and thus simplicity of getting blocked is just plain loathsome, BFG tracers are quite likely to get screwed up when turning away from blast, which is casual when facing more stuff, also with blockmap fixed up hitscan attacks of zombies are also much more likely to waste health quite rapidly even from major distance.

Although I guess when you play with zdoom, there is hardly any desire to be as close to original doom behavior as possible.

Oh, i just found that message Grain of Salt wrote. anyway, i did all the fixes necessary. I'll stress this one more time, however, this was a rendition of my very first map I'd made. Of course there are problems. Anyway, here's the newest link, and it's much better:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ddl0l8w1xvfvjvn

if you could send me pics of each, i could fix em. right now, most of the stuff you're talking about i don't even no about.

k then. I've been having a lot of trouble out of this map ever since it was made. It used to be a lot crappier than this, and it was made for zdoom. still trying to fix it up for prboom.

Oh yeah, about the no texture parts, you have to play with gothictx.wad. But as for the rest of the stuff, I'll fix it. I know where yer talkin about now.

http://www.mediafire.com/?05872niz6p922dh

Ok. here is the map with all fixes, and a little extra stuff in it. I took out that random hanging wall in the beginning over the lava pit, because, well, it was random. Anyway, there's even more monsters, and since i'm getting the hang of using sector/linedef tags, a few traps. Oh, and there's still enough ammo for the big fights.

Beta version of part 2. Part 1 is still on the drawing board.

I call it "Crest of Simplicity, Part 2".

I tried to tune monsters, ammo and health to a rather hard difficulty, and I hope it's 1*) playable as in not too hard, and 2*) not too easy in some parts of the level.

I tested different sections separately, guessing what the player might have when arriving there, but in a real game the player might have more or less of something. So report back anything that seems 1* or 2*.

Although this level is meant as a continuation of part 1, it can be played starting with nothing but a pea shooter (takes lots of patience, or find the secret).

It's also coop compatible (at least the layout, I forgot the player starts (-_-); ) See update below.

Oh btw, this map contains 5000 monsters separated in 23 different battles.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?9794xz61md4rb7b

Grain of Salt said:

From the main menu:

Options --> Setup --> Key Bindings

I hope that's what you wanted. I don't know what you mean by "shared between move and use".

No, unfortunately. When I change the mouse button of either one, the other changes with it. I tried hacking the cfg file, but that didn't work either.