Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FDA. I liked it. No issue with the difficulty for me, it also seemed easy early on but I almost let myself get cornered. Then at the end I misjudged the gap between a cybie and the wall and got myself killed. Great fun. :)

@Grain - missed your post three days ago.

I thought the SSG and RL were fine. I'm a big proponent of leaving slower but safer options for players that may not be able to handle the intended difficulty, and in a BFG centric map the RL and SSG can do just that.

FDA for French Fries. Dies a bit, completes. One issue that jumped at me is that it seems possible to speed through it pacifist style extremely easy. Additionally, the end archviles didn't present any kind of challenge playing the map normally, so to deal with both of these issues I would add two archviles on each side, flanking the pillar (i.e. one at -480 -1568 and one at -416 -1504, for the left pillar).

Edit: oops. Somehow, I thought these sectors had a 160 ceiling rather than 256.

The map itself... Hmm. I was so focused on stepping through the right steps, at the right height, through monster corpses, as to not get stuck at the wrong time with a bunch of revenant fireballs on my trail to see what was going on. It even took me a while to notice the middle pillars lowered.

Unlike the floor changes in the original Apple Acres, it didn't annoy me. It's just that my focus was on not getting stuck, my movement hindered in a way that felt slightly uncomfortable. Playing Doom, I tend to like being in control, and situations like that make me feel reactive than proactive.

Big emphasis on me, me, me and feel because this is something completely subjective. Obviously, if you never challenge the player through movement all that is left is a big flat square box without any height change. To sum it up, I don't think there's something wrong with the map and for that matter, even despite what was said above I liked it while I played through it.

FDA for ILOVEDRUNNIN.wad (that was the name, right?), completes on first try.

I liked it. Room to play, stuff to fight, and a mini-crisis near the end that left me scrambling for a megasphere, hoping that one lone zombieman wouldn't kill me.

The amount of powerups, even during the start, didn't detract from the gameplay in my opinion, in a map like this it's nice to have some warmup and get your bearings before the meat of the fights happen. Beyond that point, it's mostly chaos and potential sudden death rather than steady health depletion, and works fine that way.

Hmm, pretty embarrassing to have my supposedly 'brutal bfg map' beaten in the first try in a kinda casual stroll, ha ha, thanks. My problem was I only playtested in a style where I hit all switches as fast as possible. It plays very different then- more challenging/fun. Hopefully hitting all switches asap would be faster than 'casually kill all before hitting switches', thus making it the default route on a max run. I tried limiting megaspheres inside the doors so it wasn't too easy to circle around and kill all those viles.
To force chaos, I could have stuff activated by a timer rather than at the player's switch discretion. Or maybe have cybers warp in after all key pickups, which would probably force doing switches asap because that cyber infighting would almost definitely be desirable asap to boost time.

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/30262324/sumDemos.zip

french fries (the one with lots of revenants): I never beat it on ground level like phml. my fda sucked so did a first exit max. Usually maps with mostly 1 type of monster don't turn out that great. I guess the tricky steps are a unique gameplay element but don't really like it and I thought the only sane way to do it was hanging out on top of the lift which makes it kinda easy. Doing it ground level means infinitely tall caco blocking and bfg shots accidentally shooting upwards. This is an example where I'd probably scale the whole level 150% or so then force fighting at ground level.

waffles: interesting ideas. After lots of attempts I managed to make cyber infight all viles. But the 'get the bfg' part seems luck based/hard and I died there (failed max, not an fda). You can fall in vile pit. Also when exiting invuln room, you can only open red door from side because yellow linedef action blocks being able to press use on red linedef (in complevel 9).

eyes ears: I like it. Haven't tried maxing as fast as possible. Maybe put monster block lines on cyber columns (they're only blocked from falling in complevel 2, not 9), and probably make cybers 64 or whatever lower so their rockets aren't mostly blocked by their own column (this one was an fda because my fda didn't completely suck for once).

Are all these 'mini' maps intended to be included in the 'slauterfest 2011' wad? How many maps do we have anyway (thus kicking the can of counting them onto somebody else)?

Yeah, i'll include them all, sure. I'll fix Waffles and my other hard/luck based ones so they're not luck based anymore too. I'll get to counting.

E: We have like 19 normal sized maps and 17 of these "snack sized" slaughter maps.

I don't have an official list, but I'll probably put one together soon. Also, I agree, let's get as many maps as possible and then put together as many megawads as we can of these. And I think there are still people working on serious maps for this anyway.

maybe I can start working on the graphics for the megawad. I'm pretty sure I still have most of the graphics made for the endpic of the game (or interpic?) but Nnyway, other than the title, inter, and end pics, I don't thik there's really much I can do for the moment. I still have that quirky little map01 made, and it may suit the megawad well. Anyway, got other stuff i needa do. Later!

Oh, here's the link to the map: http://www.mediafire.com/?7jyq2gbkfvqbrdb

Its also maybe good to have 2 wads < 30 maps, because nobody likely wants their map in slot 30 because telefragging is turned on and it screws up lots of intended gameplay. (and 33/34 etc slots don't work with idclev)

I bet complevel stuff will be a problem like usual, for example people testing with complevel 2 surprised when it behaves slightly different in complevel 9, or vice versa. I think these are boom maps so we likely want 9.
2: enemies don't fall off edges, 20 or whatever lost soul limit
9: enemies can fall off (unless u have block monster lines), infinite lost souls, can't press use on a switch when another linedef action is in front (not sure if this happens in both complevels)

Also one or more maps had infinite ammo or something I remember, not sure how to put them in the same wad.. I guess decorate could. All the wads doomhero made so far had the weird property of not working in prboom 2.5.0.5. (popup says p_loadsubsectors: no subsectors in level then exits), while everyone else's maps did, not sure why.

Another problem I forsee is nodes. Some maps are big which sometimes results in weird random screw ups for the final wad that might need the nodes 'rebuilt' or whatever.

gggmork said:

All the wads doomhero made so far had the weird property of not working in prboom 2.5.0.5. (popup says p_loadsubsectors: no subsectors in level then exits), while everyone else's maps did, not sure why.

Because DoomHero insists on using ZDoom extended nodes (even when they're not needed). Support for them was added in PrBoom+ 2.5.0.7 afaik.

I will finish Metsu tomorrow so It can be included in the release of fest 2011. I havn't played any of the new maps because I've been busy speed running other wads and being away frequently.

Mixed nuts was a mess btw. There were hundreds of monsters stuck together everywhere. Maybe it's been fixed by now, I don't know...

just for the pleasure of made something, tonight i started this map looks coming out from the depths of 1996:

It uses the gothictx.wad pack. Stay tuned for more!

So is there a set deadline for this? I haven't been able to work much for the past 2 weeks on my map and it might be another 2 before i can finish it. Right now I am terribly slammed with my final projects at school so I won't be doing much mapping until after the 20th of this month.

On another note, I have some custom textures that are acting wonky in prBoom. It's giving me this half-assed tutti frutti effect in-game even though everything is properly referenced, right palette, and whatnot. The one is a floor tile, the other is a wall tex of my own making. Does Boom not like 512x256 textures(the wall is not the floor tile, its standard 64x64)?

I assume we're supposed to put player 2/3/4 starts? What about a deathmatch start?

Ok, that 'extended zdoom nodes' explains that previously described 2.5.0.5 weirdness. I'm no node expert but I guess use that on the huge maps since they often need special node treatment which is what you were probably doing anyway.
I think some were discussing using infinite ammo earlier though those particular map(s) might not be done yet.
I think I might put a silent midi in all my maps since I usually play with no music anyway.

Wow, there are already more than 32 maps! I like the idea of making a bunch of slaughter maps each year and packaging them all together.

- I agree with mork about having 2 wads. I know the maps were going to be arranged by difficulty, but maybe it'd be faster to just arrange them by submission date?

- yeah you can use the inf ammo bfg for sure. It replaces the chainsaw, but it uses 40 shells per shot, so hopefully you won't need shell weapons in one of those maps. The dehacked will have to be changed though cuz it uses some states from the zombieman.

I'll defo make another map before the end of the year.

@dannebubinga
you can open blue door, trigger line and run back, trapping yourself (probably make it close turbo would be good enough. You still might potentially hit a turbo door on an imps head, then get under the door and kill the imp to do the same thing.)

Scrolling warping enemies usually aren't good. For example, leave the mancubuses alive, then they'll block the cybers who will then never warp. Probably merge cyber sector with some sector connected to everything else so they're awake instead of scrolling.