Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TrueDude said:

though I will note the map has gotten too big for me to playtest it properly on my computer, so when I finish it I'll have to have others check the health/ammo situation.

PROTIP: If you can't even play your map, make it smaller.

But yeah, personally speaking, I really don't think my computer can handle the real big maps (even with prboom+). Though I think DoomHero's first pic on page4 is pretty tasty. I'll try to make a map too if that's ok, but it'll definitely have less than 10000 monsters cuz of my computer (probably less than 5000). I agree with what Phml said. These kind of jumbo slaughter maps can be fun as long as they're playable, imo.

I would def like to see a map by you eternal_slumber. I like your maps a lot and my monster placement is a little like yours. Anyway, my map is about 2/3 done now unless you count detailing, it's about 1/3 done for detail stuff. 19,700 monsters so far and still no lag on my machine :)

Mine's getting there, dunno how long it'll take. I just know that it's hopefully going to be hard. So far it is but I'm trying to make it like it all over the map without making it impossible...

Here's an updated version, despite the look, the amount of monsters is quite enough so far. You can see I've finished the building in the background, I just need to add the monsters that will go inside it.

Also, in case you're wondering, I've used a semi-glitch where there's a giant wall in front of the building's open area that you can't see, it's simple but useful because it means you can't kill the people open out, and they can't attack you either.

Looks okay so far, I'd recommend getting rid of any decorations on the floor and just putting groups of the same kind of monster around. Unless of course you're going for an early level in this wad.

DoomHero85 said:

I'd recommend getting rid of any decorations on the floor and just putting groups of the same kind of monster around.

Haha, true slaughtermap style!

DoomHero85 said:

Looks okay so far, I'd recommend getting rid of any decorations on the floor and just putting groups of the same kind of monster around. Unless of course you're going for an early level in this wad.

Ummmm... I think they should stay there, the amount of monsters is enough at the moment, it's really hard right now. Well, I suppose there's a lot more monsters on this level right now than is visible here.

You can put it where you see fit depending on it's difficulty...

Odd-o-matic said:

I agree as well.

Also, if the maps are going to have 14,000+ enemies then how is it going to be fun? I probably won't even be able to play it because it would lag so much. 1,000 is still kinda ridiculous because I could simply go Doom Builder, create a massive square and some stands and then fill it up with monsters. Why would it take so long? I've got an old map that can be used but I was just testing stuff in it.

I do see your point: 10,000+ monsters is lag-fest.
One possibility is to do what DV and HH did: split it into 4 or more smaller slaughter-maps. No Pistol Start required either. And to add icing to the cake, difficulty settings can be used to determine speed: skills 0 or 1 for slow machines, 2 for medium, and 3 (or 4 for anyone who dares play on NM) for fast machines. Example: HH map1 on difficulty 1 is 2000 if i remember correctly.

Alright, my map is finished for the most part. I've playtested it so I know it's possible, I just need a second (maybe third ;D) opinion on it.
I recommend not playing it in Skulltag, it provides a not-so-nice effect with the see-through walls. The music is changed to a piece I liked from Reverie just because Doom II's D_RUNNIN does NOT suit this map at all. Another note, I've put in a graphic for the intermission map title, it's not really necessary much but it didn't take long so what the hell.

One last screenshot:

The only thing left, is to change some monsters depending on the difficulty, but I'm done for today, spend more than enough hours on it already.

DOWNLOAD: http://filesmelt.com/dl/slaughter.wad

Also, DoomHero85, if the the amount of monsters isn't good enough for you, feel free to add some more. At the moment it's annoying me because my computer has decided to slow down on me right now and the amount here is about as much as it can cope with (and the projectiles).

Short slaughter map I made to take a break from mapping my giant map.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/kub7mlgtt4vea5s/Butt%20Donuts.wad

I was considering breaking mine up, but it wouldn't work as a map if I did that. It's imperative that I keep it a huge cavern rather than breaking it up into smaller caverns.

E: Slightly easier version now.

@Odd-o-matic: I like your map, there are enough monsters if it's going to be a mid level map. However, I can't figure out where to go after I find the Red switch, you need make it clear where things are supposed to happen and please label your lifts with proper textures, If i wasn't wall humping I would have never found that lift up to the armor. The face textures are not usually used for lifts.

DoomHero85 said:

@Odd-o-matic: I like your map, there are enough monsters if it's going to be a mid level map. However, I can't figure out where to go after I find the Red switch, you need make it clear where things are supposed to happen and please label your lifts with proper textures, If i wasn't wall humping I would have never found that lift up to the armor. The face textures are not usually used for lifts.

I thought the lift was pretty obvius with all the stuff up there.

Also, the red key switch? It's pretty obvious, the first switch is a door that I used to check you had the red key, then behind it is another switch which lowers the bars in front of the teleporter and the walkway above.

Hmmm, did you lower this platform? If you did, I can't think how you missed it. I've circled the key behind the shotgunner...

DoomHero85 said:

I pressed that lift and it didn't lower.

That's odd. It lowers every time on mine. What source port are you using?

I forgot to mention that it's in Boom format if that makes any difference.

I forgot to mention, I was aiming for a mid-level map so it's good that you thought that the amount of monsters was good for it.

Also, I made a demo of the map, it shows how I play it and where the secrets are (if you couldn't find them).

Also, I recommend not playing in ZDoom, there's a huge HOM in the invisible walls...

ANOTHER UPDATE!!

I've just started on another map, I'm aiming for a MAP04/MAP05 map. There's about 69 monsters so far but I've only just started.

Also, it's rather quiet here, I'm wondering if anybody's still working on this :/. Oh well, here's a few screenshots.

----------STARTING AREA----------

----------ONE OF THE SEPERATE AREAS----------

Few monsters are shown but thre are more offscreen. :)

I ran out of ideas after a point and I've been trying to get the inspiration to finish it off, but I just can't think of anything good and I don't want to half ass it.

@TrueDude: How about a voidspace area for the last battle? Like a castle with void all around it.

@Odd-o-matic: Yes, the red key problem is fixed, but now the Blue Key is MIA.

DoomHero85 said:

@TrueDude: How about a voidspace area for the last battle? Like a castle with void all around it.

Oooh, yeah. The weird thing is I thought of that as a whole map but never bothered thinking of adding that as an area to the in progress map, but that would be a great way to finish the map.