Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Phml - aw why not? ;P are they maxes?

danne - I don't mind it myself, I just noticed the sky was different. It's up to you, if you don't mind it either, then I'll just leave it the way it is. :)

I'd rather let people figure their own routes. Having a demo from me on my own map might also lead to believe the way I play is the intended way to play, and it isn't.

Besides, it bums me a little when I see a wad released and there's already a bunch of demos for it. It feels like picking up a paper on the subway and finding out the game of the day has been done. While there's nothing stopping me from ignoring the answer and starting from scratch, that notion of uncharted territory is just gone.

... So I'm a little weird like that, and I'm certainly not saying anyone else should do like me, but I prefer not "officially" sharing my demos before other people even get a chance to play the corresponding map.

map 30 desyncs and don't add 17-19 as that was more or less just showing changes rather than max, although feel free to add my chocpain max

We don't *need* any, but there are a few maxes and a couple speeds that people have already made, so I figured I'd include them in the zip. Unless you guys are bothered when the game of the day has already been done on the subway. :) ie: I won't include any demos

Also, if someone wanted to do three 30-60 seconds random gameplay demos of whatever maps, they could replace the three in-game demos as well?

Ah fuck. I managed to screw up every damn teleporter I added. Should I upload fixed version of map 8 and 11 or should I tell you which linedefs that should be flagged block monsters? I'm really sorry about this...

The demo on map 23 wasn't really meant to be included in the wad. I just wanted to share it. And since gggmork is banned and can't download demos from the speed run threads I wanted to share it here so he could watch it. :)

No probs, danne. Could you upload the fixed versions when they're ready?

Ok, how about we don't include any demos in the zip? We could just replace the 3 in-game demos with short FDA-style demos?

Thanks guys.

K, so once danne sends his final maps, I'll post Version 6, and then after a couple days if it's all good, we can stick a fork in it and upload it to /idgames?

ToDo:
- release date in txt file
- demos section in txt file
- email in txt file
- add in-game demos
- replace danne's maps
- put music for my maps
- credits to id software
- add Olympus text info

Would it be too much to ask for if I asked for someone to record max of map 24? I won't be able to live a happy and prosperous life anymore if unbeatable map(s) make it into final wad. :'(

I did already cover everything about it before. Then again, I did few minor edits and I think it's just fine with them, but I hesitate to go public with it like that.

I still haven't received a PM from Okuplok about the text file info either. I feel a bit weird editing his map since he's a demo recorder and maybe he wanted it that way, I dunno.

But, the txt file gives permissions, so I don't think there's a problem posting your edited version in this thread or in the demos forum.

I disagree with fixing oku's map, you can add difficulty setting but plz don't change it on uv skill. This guy didn't do things impossible, there is just a way to do it correcctly, but the map is obviously not made to play without any knowledge of it, but you can fix that using another difficulty, not uv :(

I noticed it plays better if HKs are deaf. They all piled up in a hall in the back if you shot, what is very weird imo. Actually, after they were deafened, it makes sense and is doable pretty much reliably. Oh, and all changes I did don't really affect UV, just lower difficulties.

but that way you make that trap not challenging aat all because the player is able to kill everything slowly, group by group, no infight needed and that is not the way the trap is intented to be. I agree if you do that to skill 3.

Hmm, in that case those that pile up in the back could be deafened. I still get such a horrible luck abuse feel out of it that player gets very little control over what is happenning. Can you max okuplok's version?

Heh, you damn luck abusing players. :p

I imagine it is beatable, but not really depending on player. Just playing map over and over until you get some love from RNG. Usually it's how you do maxes, try to do multitasking and stuff... but to beat the map at all requiring RNG is something I loathe. Player shouldn't be punished just because a single monster doesn't cooperate and move 20 units away from the desired direction, which in this case is a difference between survival and replay. I played that okuplok's version for so long I can't even believe it, and the only times I managed to beat it was because cybers got stuck by HKs and scratched to death. I can't imagine sympathy towards this sort of gameplay style, but hey, it's not like chillax is not bazillion times more reknown than phmlspd. I'll just shut up.

For what it's worth I strongly agree with your philosophy, but I don't think Ancalagon is out of line either in wanting to keep Okuplok's original version and make it easier on lower difficulties only. Ultimately, it should be Oku's call regarding any possible change on UV.

How's this for a possible solution: copy/paste all HKs on each other, and set flags so one of the stack only appears on UV and isn't deaf, and the other stack is for HMP/HNTR and is deaf. In the end, you could have that minimal change be HMP and your changes be HNTR.

Actually I deafened them by mistake after I pasted barons for other difficulty onto them and noticed it after I posted this up. I wanted UV to be untouched okuplok's version, but derp...

How about the exit? I think it's better like that as player could really easily escape those cybers. But the problem with that is that there are no difficulty-only linedefs, or...?

It's somewhat hacky, but you can build difficulty-specific linedefs through voodoo doll scripting. For example, you could have a voodoo doll trigger the exit to lower as soon as the map starts (so it'd be ready for UV), and block that voodoo doll's path with a decoration that would only appear on HMP and HNTR. It has to be a decoration as far as I know, because voodoo dolls will spawn on any setting regardless of what difficulty flags are set.

Heh, that voodoo effects stuff is crazy.

Anyway, here's map 24 which is absolutely untouched in UV and HKs are deafened in HMP and lower. I figured it's more than enough of a change and I said I'll shut up anyway. So yeah, hooray for finished sf2011. :p

Krypto said we can name it... somehow, I don't remember. Calling it "untitled" is sort of weird anyway.