Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Demonic imagery

When I was nine or ten years old, playing Doom for the first time, I fell in love with the marriage of science fiction grime and demonic iconography. Heavy metal came along a few years later, and further strengthened my interest. I'm not sure what it is, but the classic Christian images of Satan, Hell and other malevolent forces are utterly fascinating to me. Whether it's the contemporary, Bosch-like work of H. R. Giger...

Or an ancient woodcut of the mouth of hell...

There's something I can't explain, that is very attractive about the ugliness and perversion of it all. I'm sure Doom played a huge part in developing this interest. Has anyone else here taken a similar path?

You'd probably be interested in the portraits Louis Breton did for Colin De Plancy's Dictionnaire Infernal. The descriptions that served the basis for the portraits were taken from the Lemegeton's Lesser Key of Solomon. It's one of those things that centuries ago church inquisitors used to set people on fire for possessing, and now widely available for people to look at and say "lolwut?" Features a hierarchy of Demons from Judaic & Christian lore, demons from other religions, and "demonized" gods of pagan religions.

It was probably the satanic/religious imagery found in album art that sparked my interest in reading Crowley, LaVey, The Bible, etc.

EDIT: pics removed