Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jodwin

Danmaku Doom demo

DoomHero85 said:

E: Just watched, it's kinda cool actually. But the fireballs aren't one hit kill.

You can't really have one hit kill danmaku in Doom unless the player hitbox is made smaller and unless player momentum is removed (so that ice stairs and such are eliminated).

Then again, I could just replace the fireballs with rockets for great lulz. :P

t'was the only way to truly comprehend the full power of Romero's bitch making potential. Suck it down.

Heh, pretty cool. I've thought about doing something similar (but not nearly as crazy) for the final boss in Vela Pax. But I'm not sure I could do it with bex. What was this done in?

It's a fork of Mocha Doom, a project I started in order to produce the first complete Doom source port in a managed language (Java, in this case), and allow coders to more easily do cool hacks like the above ;-)

The Danmaku branch is something that Jodwin started working on by himself after joining the project (with occasional aid by me, for keeping stuff in sync with the main codebase).

BTW, the only "official" downloads up for grabs now are the previous versions up to 1.4a which were released more than a month ago. We haven't discussed the possibility of offering "compiled" downloads of the Danmaku branch yet, but I guess we could as soon as the upcoming v1.5 version is finalized (introduces sound and improved compatibility all around). Then again the CVS repo is open for anonymous read-only access, so if you are feeling impatient...

Mechadon said:

But I'm not sure I could do it with bex.

I think MBF has some code pointers for spread fire.

Oh it's Mocha Doom. Still pretty cool though! I need to check out Mocha Doom sometime. It seems like it's a really cool project.

tempun said:

It does? I'll have to give it a looky-see because I can't remember. But if so, that'd be right up my alley for the idea I had.

tempun said:

I could be mistaken, but if I recall correctly MBF only lets you create new states by combining already existing ones. For example the rollerskating maulotaur in UAC Ultra simply uses the first two mancubus shots as its attack, creating the illusion that it has a new three-way attack while it's just a hack. :)

As a fan of shmups/bullet hell shooters, I think its a cool idea. I like how [in the demo] you had the imps elevated so that when they fire you can see the direction of the waves. Have you thought about having weapons that fire in spread or homing/beam (similar to Dodonpachi or Raiden,etc)?

DeumReaper said:

Have you thought about having weapons that fire in spread or homing/beam (similar to Dodonpachi or Raiden,etc)?

Yeah, I'll probably have different kinds of weapons eventually. However the priority is to get all kinds of necessary mechanics for the monsters working first: The next step is to add different kinds of projectiles in the same patterns, then some more advanced features for programming patterns such as changing patterns based on monster health and having other bullet sources than the monster itself, etc. etc.

@Sigvatr: lol. Mute audio.

DeumReaper said:

weapons that fire in spread or homing/beam (similar to Dodonpachi or Raiden,etc)?

I shall not rest until Danmaku Doom has a Raiden-style toothpaste laser.

WildWeasel said:

I shall not rest until Danmaku Doom has a Raiden-style toothpaste laser.

Or even better, a Raiden II style HOMING purple toothbrush laser ;-) (BTW, I always called the blue laser "necktie laser" because it looked like fabric).

Jodwin said:

I could be mistaken, but if I recall correctly MBF only lets you create new states by combining already existing ones.

I said code pointers. Specifically, A_Turn.
Also MBF gives you some extra states to use - these of dogs.

As a guy who has personally made two bullet hell shooters from scratch, I have to say this idea is rather silly. Doom's strengths do not lie in mass amounts of projectile spam :P

udderdude said:

As a guy who has personally made two bullet hell shooters from scratch, I have to say this idea is rather silly. Doom's strengths do not lie in mass amounts of projectile spam :P

I agree, and in a way that's the point. The real goal is to see for myself how far an FPS game's gameplay can be taken into the realms of danmaku before it becomes impossible to play. It's kind of an experiment in futility. :P

A good start would be removing all of the player's inertia, making their hitbox smaller and making the projectile size smaller. Even then, it's very difficult to see a pattern from head-on. It would help if it was 3rd person 1/2 overhead perspective instead, but then it's not FPS anymore :p

udderdude said:

A good start would be removing all of the player's inertia, making their hitbox smaller and making the projectile size smaller.

I had already mentioned those in this thread. ;) But since this is a source code mod, I'm prioritizing things by amount of work needed, and that means monster-related systems come first. Changing hitbox sizes is trivial and can be balanced later on once everything else actually works the way as intended (this is a side-project for me and I only work on it every now and then when I've got the time to spare).