Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Eponasoft

[Solved] Issue with models... maybe pk3 problem, maybe not

This is my first attempt at using models in my pwad. I have things configured as such:

in DECORATE:

Actor TonBarrel 9000
{
	Radius 15
	Height 64
	States
	{
	Spawn:
		TON1 A 1
		Loop
	}
}
in MODELDEF:
Model TonBarrel
{
   Path "md2s/Ton"
   Model 0 "ton1.md2"
   Skin 0 "ton1.png"

FrameIndex TON1 A 0 0
}
Now, I have md2s/Ton/ton1.md2 and md2s/Ton/ton1.png from the base project directory. To make the pk3 file, I use 7zip to Store twolords.wad and md2s/* in twolords.pk3, which is set as a regular zip file. All seems well until I load the map which contains entity 9000, in which case I get a message that says "TonBarrel has no frames" and it shows up as the yellow exclamation point inside the red diamond. Either I'm making the pk3 file wrong or I have this coded incorrectly somehow.

EDIT: Got the model from this site:
http://www.md2.sitters-electronics.nl/models.htm

it's in pack 17, the one called "Ton". It only has one frame.

In your DECORATE code, try:

Spawn:
POSS A 3
Loop

In your MODELDEF code, try:

FrameIndex POSS A 0 0

Thanks to this thread, I was able to get models working. It seems my modeldef and zip technique were right all along... I just didn't have a "companion" sprite in the wad. Anyway, end result...

I believe that the need to have a corresponding sprite only exists when your model doesn't "point" to an existing (unused blank) DooM sprite (e.g., POSS A 3). I'm guessing that when you tried my solution, your md2 was not referencing that sprite, which is why it wasn't working. However, it's good to know what the solution to the problem is.

Very nice-looking barrel, by the way.

Yeah, that seems to be it... and since my pwad doesn't reference any sprites in heretic.wad, every model I add is going to need the dummy sprite. And yeah... the barrel looks pretty good, Sitters Electronics makes some good low-poly models. I'd like to eventually replace all of my monsters with md2 models, but as they too are all 100% custom (none of them are DOOM/Heretic/etc modded sprites), I would probably have to decimate the hell out of the original hi-poly models to get the desired effect.