Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jdagenet

Adding echo's to sector's?

Is it possible to make a certain sector echo the sound, I looked at MAP01 of the PSXDOOM TC and saw a thing type of 9048 so I deleted it and the echo was gone so I put the same thing type in my map but it didn't do anything, does anyone know how to add a action like this if it's possible?

Whoa, are there any sample maps out there that show this off? Sounds interesting.

Nomad said:

Whoa, are there any sample maps out there that show this off?

This is not really a "sample" map at all, but it uses reverb extensively. There are some very fundamental rules you need to follow to prevent echo "leakage" into sectors that should not have reverb sound, but if you follow those rules you can get very different reverb effects to create a dynamic and life-like environment.

Nomad said:

Whoa, are there any sample maps out there that show this off? Sounds interesting.

The PSX Doom TC seems to have echoing sound when in certain indoor areas.

ReX said:

This is not really a "sample" map at all, but it uses reverb extensively. There are some very fundamental rules you need to follow to prevent echo "leakage" into sectors that should not have reverb sound, but if you follow those rules you can get very different reverb effects to create a dynamic and life-like environment.

I would love to see this done in realtime for all maps. The only hurdles would be calculating the volume of the sector + its adjacent sectors, then creating a reverb style with this information. passing that information is a piece of cake.

For that you would need something like Doomsday's ancient "3D Sound" feature. It creates a simple reverb based off the texture/flat composition of a sector. Hence it can work with all maps.

Indeed, it's such an old feature that hasn't been updated in so long, it doesn't work on all modern sound cards.

Csonicgo said:

I would love to see this done in realtime for all maps. The only hurdles would be calculating the volume of the sector + its adjacent sectors, then creating a reverb style with this information. passing that information is a piece of cake.

In its simplest form, yes, those are the criteria. However, if you start figuring in the type of surfaces (e.g., liquid, wood, metal, etc.) then the rules would need to be expanded. Currently, the decisions on which type of reverb to use are made by the map author, but I agree that it would be a great feature if this was done automatically by the engine.

But can you use GZDoom 3d floors as reverb barriers? If not, then it means that this feature can't be used to its fullest in GZDoom room-over-room maps :(

Does SDL support reverbs, so we can have them in Eternity?

printz said:

But can you use GZDoom 3d floors as reverb barriers? If not, then it means that this feature can't be used to its fullest in GZDoom room-over-room maps

Because reverb effects are limited by "zone boundaries" using LineSetID, there are likely to be issues with 3D sectors that lie within other sectors with reverbs. In other words, I don't know how you can set up a reverb in one room, and have a different (or no) reverb in a 3D sector within that room without affecting the space below/above the 3D sector.