• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rizera

Chillax Demos [-complevel 9]

CURRENT VERSION HERE <- CLICK HERE

2013 version - OLD / DEPRECATED

2011 version - OLD / DEPRECATED

words for search engine purposes: chillax v9.7.3 // v9.7.2 // v6.9 // 9.7.3 // 9.7.2 // 6.9

I noticed that the hardest wad ever, Chillax, was getting some speedrunning attention on Youtube, and then a friend of mine recorded MAP01 UV-Max in 9:26, so I thought it was time I had recorded a demo on it.

Here I throw MAP03 UV-Max in 8:22. Cacos took a little to teleport but still, getting this to sub-10 minutes is still really great.

We are now trying for maps02, 04 and 09. Any other maps that you guys think that are possible to record on? Ideas accepted! And yes, we do know that most (if not all) maps from this wad are stolen and then edited from other wads.

ch03-822.zip

Edited by Maribo

Phml gotta love these.

Just curious, were those maps playtested?... Like, at least once?

j4rio said:

Phml gotta love these.

Just curious, were those maps playtested?... Like, at least once?

Since most levels in this wad are simply very far from possible to be completed, they probably were just meant to be played as Coop and/or with Item Respawn.

In time, adding a Youtube link for the MAP03 run:

The gameplay in these levels seems haphazard, but the architecture and layouts are very solid! If they lowered the monster count, these maps might just be the greatest ever, and I, for one, will be keeping an eye on these promising young mappers.

1ntru said:

Since most levels in this wad are simply very far from possible to be completed, they probably were just meant to be played as Coop and/or with Item Respawn.

In time, adding a Youtube link for the MAP03 run:

nice run.
after you killed the final bunch of archviles, what was that punching good for? make all cacos teleport in?

Torr Samaho said:

nice run.
after you killed the final bunch of archviles, what was that punching good for? make all cacos teleport in?

Exactly. I could have make them come right at the start (they wouldn't get stuck) but that would make 9 archies + 10 cacos teleport in among all those revs, knights, mancubi and arachnotrons, rendering the fight impossible. I had to go silent and make them come later in order to make it to the exit.

Who put chillax.wad together, and why didn't they make a txt file to credit the original mappers? I know Phml gives permission to edit his maps, but some credit would've been nice.

eternal slumber said:

Who put chillax.wad together, and why didn't they make a txt file to credit the original mappers? I know Phml gives permission to edit his maps, but some credit would've been nice.

No idea. The author(s) remain anonymous. Most likely because he is completely aware that all this content was stolen. Well, there are some maps that I have never seen before though, ranging from MAP24 to MAP34. And they all basically follow the same style (except for the Doom 64 based maps). This might be some original content but still, not enough ammo to finish the maps.

MAP34 UV-Max in 23:56
Complevel 9 used.

This map is original as far as I know.

One of the hardest levels ever recorded, I think. A lot of ammo is available but no BFG. You gotta kill four Cybies in some VERY narrow areas, as well as there is some Archie spam as usual. Good playing isn't enough here, you need strategy and luck in some places. Red key and blue key are astoundingly hard. Well, I deserved better luck on this demo, imho, but I finally got to the exit.

ch342356.zip

Umm. Is this really Harder than Sunder?? And aren't the first 14 by Phml? And several more are just discards from Sunder. Who's stealing these wads. Find out who made this and tell them to make their own damn slaughtermaps, or if the last 10 or so are their own release that.

1ntru said:

One of the hardest levels ever recorded, I think.

Wow, you've played every single level that's ever been recorded, so you know it's one of the hardest? :P
It's kinda funny when some of the "hardest" levels weren't even "properly" playtested.

What I find mind-boggling is that this wad is apparently reknown, praised and gets far more attention than phmlsdp, at least at skulltaggers hideout...

In any case, I wonder how can a map be judged by difficulty, with some imaginary difficulty scale. If this was supposedly applied to currently existing maps, then nuts would be probably the top, as none maxed it so far.

And come on tod, don't suck out the enthusiasm. :P
it's a cool run, but of a map that hardly deserves any speedrunning attention. I'll eat my hat if chillax compiler(s) mapped any of those maps from scratch.

i'll second jario's post. i don't get the attention towards a compilation of bad phmlspd edits. zdaemon had a similar situation where a bunch of guys thought it'd be a good idea to "finish" toke's coopbuild. of course, with the utmost respect. oh well, to each his own, however i'd rather see rizera direct his crazy effort towards more... deserving wads. :)

Gotta love controversy. :)

I gave this wad some attention because I want to know who is behind it, if any of these maps are original and also, try to find solutions to levels which look close to impossible at first glance.

To me, the more a map is unforgiving and depends on luck, the harder it is. Of course I haven't played every single level of the 21576 demos available on DSDA, for example, but I can't think of numerous maps which can top this. Notice I wouldn't get such response if I had runned an "everyday wad" map. :)

In time, I love Phmlspd.

i haven't played it myself, but from rizera's demo i can see what makes this map so hard, the lack of health. slaughter wads are mostly generous with megaspheres, here i saw only 2 blue orbs before the final showdown, one awarded after killing 4 cybers between pillars which make them more dangerous, and a horde of revenants. secondly, there's no bfg, only plasma, which makes incoming rockets harder to see.

uff too bad some maps are insanely filled with monsters, the level design are awesome in some case.

blob1024 said:

uff too bad some maps are insanely filled with monsters, the level design are awesome in some case.

Blob, most if not all of those levels are stolen! That's why they look good.

In time, here are some videos of this wad that can be found on Youtube that I felt like sharing:

MAP30 UV-Speed by Fieldt23

MAP31 UV-Speed by Fieldt23

MAP09 UV-Speed by Ancalagon

MAP14 UV-Speed by Ancalagon

MAP10 UV-Pacifist by Ancalagon

And the best one imho: MAP01 Max by Ancalagon

Unfortunately, not many of these levels are maxable and/or speedable.

Is anyone familiar enough with the layout of the second odyssey of over stimulating gauntlets to compile a potential source list? I genuinely wish to examine the original incarnations of 20-29 and 31-34 assuming every map is indeed an edit (with the exception of 30) as I'm highly fond of this anomalous series being an engrossing yet arguably tedious inception of a true coop slaughter wad.

Whether the monster placement is arbitrary lies in the realm of speculation as from 20 onward the daring marine or masochistic lunatic can clearly witness an attentive hand crafting innovative lethal and devious traps which essentially demand a strategically coordinated effort to smite.

It makes for a heart throbbing, spine tingling arduous voyage as regardless of one's playing experience with Chillax, you can rarely defy it's meglomaniac manner of constantly taunting the weary warrior's bold efforts to scale this monstrosity. Either that or I have an unhealthy obsession with hardcore gameplay.

By contrast the Phmlspd section of 1-14 pales in comparison as it mostly consists of chewing through groups/hordes of enemies with very few instances of claustrophobic encounters with ambushes as mirrored by the gothic and dungeon oriented style of the 20 series.

Yet to counter your previous points having played every map, the enemy placement is far from random and requires one to remain on their toes at all times when progressing as pop up traps and rape ambushes are a consistent theme.

A number have mentioned a few are taken directly from Doom 64 and I know MAP20 was taken from Finfer2 but can anyone reveal the ones in between? Thank you.

Hey Krypto, nice to see you still rockin. Although you probably don't even know me anyway.

Some maps are from macabre3 (link in OP of sunder thread), another is helcv.wad and I recall another map being from speed17.wad. Don't know/care about the rest.

The notorious Armane no less! Thanks for your notes but on second thought I'll remain content with the edited maps and diminish the nerd factor a notch (:

Bloodite Krypto said:

The notorious Armane no less!

:)

Man, you had me glued onto monitor screen with those hr2 runs of yours. Also you haven't even posted up here your scythe 2 with -fast as far as I know. I wonder if it's too late to ask for those.

Could anyone please reupload / provide a working link to this wad? Looks like a great candidate for torturing oneself or tasing, and both are fine to me ;)

jongo said:

Could anyone please reupload / provide a working link to this wad? Looks like a great candidate for torturing oneself or tasing, and both are fine to me ;)

here:http://doomedsda.us/wad1742.html