Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Redeemer812

Xbox 360 or PC?

Hi guys,

This is actually a topic more about Rage than Doom 4, but it applies to both games to a degree. Anyway...

Like a number of my fellow forumites I have a PC that is not so "top of the line" and although my brother and I are saving up a lot of money (about $750, specifically) to seriously upgrade a computer we have to the high end of the spectrum, we won't be able to do this for several months after Rage comes out.

So I've been pondering whether or not I should suffer the wait and get Rage this December or pre-order now and get it for my Xbox 360. I'm tempted to do the latter since id is producing the port themselves and I'm guaranteed have a constant 60 fps, good if not great graphics, and split-screen multiplayer. On the other hand, I'm worried that I won't get quite as good an experience over all since I will be forced to use a gamepad, rather than a mouse and keyboard, I will be limited to sitting on a couch a good distance away from my TV, and I will not be able to crack open the game and have fun seeing how the game ticks.

Since Doom 4 will be coming out sometime next year this isn't so much of an issue, since I'm almost guaranteed to have a computer that will run it by that time. But I'm still considering getting that game for the Xbox 360 as well, since (once again) it offers split-screen multiplayer and a guaranteed smooth framerate.

What are your thoughts?

If your PC is at least as powerful as a console, then you're guaranteed 30 FPS minimum, instead of 30 FPS straight.

Depending on your rigs and the settings you use, you might get a stable 60 FPS on a PC.

Also, keep in mind that any modding activity Doom 4 gets will be PC-exclusive. Microsoft hates user-created content on their console and does everything it can to prevent it.

Same deal for Rage by the way.

Pretty much all console makers (Sony, Nintendo) hate user created stuff on their consoles. PSP's are constantly updated to make it harder to use custom games and whatnot on it.

PC, of course. If you have to play it for a while on low settings, so be it. It'll be worth it in the long run.

If it was a simple question of playing it on a good PC or an Xbox, I would definitely choose the PC, but it's not that simple. I still play Doom3 on very weak settings because my PC just can't handle playing the game on anything better than that. That said, I doubt my PC will be able to handle Rage at all.

I'm very aware of the lack-of-hack I will feel on the Xbox, but right now it seems like a much better option than waiting for months just so I can play it on the PC...

Clonehunter said:

Sony

Well, all the 'Play Create Share' games are on Sony consoles. And people do amazing things with them.

Anyway, I don't mind shooters on consoles but I still say go with PC, especially if there is an upgrade in your future. As to the framerate, you could play on a lower resolution to get your 60 fps. Games on console are scaled up from sub-HD resolution anyways to keep framerate up so you won't be missing anything.

As for the co-op thing, just think about how much you really think you'll be playing it together. If you guys play it for like 3 days and then quit you probably picked up the wrong version.

I play online maybe once per year and I have three brothers, so splitscreen multiplayer is always a plus for me. And as for the performance advice: I play Doom 3 on 640x480 on "Medium" quality and get an average of 40 FPS. Quake 4 usually gives me nothing better than 30 FPS and ET: Quake Wars gives me about 25 FPS. That said, I don't think I'll ever get more than 15 FPS on RAGE on my current crap rig.

Redeemer812 said:

I play Doom 3 on 640x480 on "Medium" quality and get an average of 40 FPS.

How old is your computer if a game from 2004 gives you that much trouble?

How old is your computer if a game from 2004 gives you that much trouble?

It's a Gateway desktop that was bought in 2006. It's got an AMD Althon 64 processor and a GeForce 6100 GPU. I've never upgraded it, save for giving it some RAM.

You can see why we're prepping to build a new computer...

Redeemer812 said:

I play Doom 3 on 640x480 on "Medium" quality and get an average of 40 FPS.

This is really as good as I can play it too on my main computer.

I have no option but to play Rage and Doom 4 on my moderately outdated PC and turn down various graphics options where necessary. Unless someone wants to buy me a new system or an Xbox.

Most games run just fine on my rig, though. The exceptions being games that are poorly optimized for the PC in the first place. So I'm hoping these games will do ok.

Clonehunter said:

This is really as good as I can play it too on my main computer.

Sometimes I feel like half of the reason so many people here keep playing the original Doom games is simply because their machines can't run anything recent.

lol.

Seriously though, a machine that can run Doom 3 at high setting really doesn't cost that much these days. Or at least not compared to a high end machine.

Scuba Steve said:

WTF is this shit? Carmack has repeatedly said that RAGE on the 360 runs at a consistent 60fps.

http://www.psu.com/forums/threads/238677-Shacknews-Rage-360-Solid-60FPS-like-the-others...

The confusion is coming from Carmack's comment that Doom4 will run at 30FPS as opposed to Rage's 60 on consoles, in order to really push the limits of the engine and get as many demons on screen at once.

Redeemer812 said:

and a GeForce 6100 GPU.

This is what's killing you. A half-decent card upgrade would REALLY improve your performance in any game. But yeah if you want to play newer games on your PC, a new system would definitely be on the cards. As it were.

I preordered the game for the Xbox 360 but started having doubts about my decision immediately, so I cancelled my preorder and made an order for the PC version. I'm buying a new graphics card as well, so even if I can't play the game extremely well when I get it I'm sure I will enjoy it more this way in the long run.

It's just... I... I really need my mouse! And I really want mods and tools and the ability to crack the game open. It's just not an id game if it's on a console.

I plan on renting it with Gamefly for Xbox 360.

$7 a month for any game you want is seriously under-rated.

hardcore_gamer said:

Sometimes I feel like half of the reason so many people here keep playing the original Doom games is simply because their machines can't run anything recent.

Oh darn, you caught me.