Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BadCompany

Effect like ship rolling?

Huh, men.

I think I saw a game which a sector reelin'.
Now, how I take a ship to roll, better: how I take a sector/enviroment to rollin', swingin', reelin'...whatever? :)

And a small question:

how long is a metre in DB 2-map? 32 pixels(?) or 48?

(system: DB2, doom in hexen format)

i remember reading an editing guide for DEU that claimed 1 doom px = 2cm vertical/3cm horizontal was a decent approximation. try it out.

A meter in Doom would be 26.4x31.68 units.

BadCompany said:

Now, how I take a ship to roll, better: how I take a sector/enviroment to rollin', swingin', reelin'...whatever? :)

No offense, but I have no idea what you're talking about. Do you want rotating sectors? If so, that can't be done, even in ZDoom. (you can use polyobjects, but those only work for 1-sided walls.)

Sodaholic said:

No offense, but I have no idea what you're talking about. Do you want rotating sectors? If so, that can't be done, even in ZDoom.

I think that he wants a sector to roll back in forth like a ship, just like he said in the OP. Making the entire area dynamic slopes would work, the problem is that dynamic slopes aren't currently supported by ZDoom.However, there is this feature suggestion which may get added in the future (I wouldn't get your hopes up though).

I suppose that you could make it look good from a distance if you had sectors waggle up and down in sync, but other then that you're out of luck.

DuckReconMajor said:

Didn't someone make the Ship map from CoD4 in ZDoom, rapidly changing the skybox to a differently angled sea to simulate the boat rocking?

That's a much better idea, with dynamic slopes, the player would become disoriented in his viewpitch, not to mention that it's not true rotation, but rather skewing the sector.

Okay, thanks for useful replies.

@Sodaholic: I am not a native-speaker (Germany ;-)), so sorry for my bad english. So I don't know what the expression for this, because I say in german "Schiff rollt" or "Schiff stampft". But bgraybr is right man here. :-)

What I thought of was to perhaps use Slope Things and vary their angles, then use various Wind strengths to simulate the displacement effect. It sounds like a lot of work though...