Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

Teleporters kill more than monsters!

Co-op in DoomII is fun, except we keep killing each other just because we are running through teleportation pads one after another too quickly. We always have to say to each other when the next person can go through, It really sucks! The point is: I'm currently building a new WAD for DoomII and I would like to have the player teleport next to another player instead of right on top that results in death. I've already tried placing multiple "Teleporter destination" Things; but it keeps teleporting all the players on the thing that was placed first! Thus making the other things useless. Any help would be great - thanx in advance.

Is it really that hard to wait a second or two before following your mates into the teleport? Who the hell hangs out on a teleport pad after they go through? You get off that shit immediately. Were you not paying attention during first day of military orientation? Pretty fundamental stuff, marine.

Have you thought about placing multiple teleport pads? Like, four different pads next to each other leading to four different targets also next to each other.

Arg, Gez beat me to it. :) I was going to suggest using multiple teleport points, or maybe using ACS to modify the destination Thing.

So there's no way around it? Okay, well at least I now know its impossible. You know It's not like I'm the one that keeps teleporting into other people! At first I didn't think it would be a problem...But it actually happens enough for it to be annoying, especially in large maps that require you to trek all the way to where you were before you died (good thing you can run really fast in this game, huh). Now the reason this keeps happening is because there is a slight pause in the players movement once the teleportation happens, so, no, you cant just jump off the pad instantly. Although, its just for one second, and that's not even the main reason: Everybody tends to run to the same pad when you've got a few Spider Masterminds hosing you down (what can I say; WE LOVE PLAYING CRAZY HARD MAPS)

Ideas:

- use zwadconv.exe to convert your map to zdoom(doom in hexen format), then you can place many teleport destinations with the same tag, like Gez and Eponasoft say

If you don't want to convert your map to zdoom:

- make the teleport destination sector a damaging floor sector effect (taking damage after teleporting makes you unfrozen)

- put multiple teleporters beside each other (each with a different teleport destination), so players don't use the same one

- use whacked/dehacked to edit the teleporter destination thing. Make it shootable and an obstacle. When you teleport, you will telefrag the destination and it will disappear, so put many destinations in the same tagged sector. Maybe you could make an alternate route in case all the destinations get telefragged. Also, give the destinations a lot of health, so that players don't kill them with guns, but not too much health so that you can't telefrag them.

eternal slumber said:

Ideas:

- use zwadconv.exe to convert your map to zdoom(doom in hexen format), then you can place many teleport destinations with the same tag, like Gez and Eponasoft say

If you don't want to convert your map to zdoom:

- make the teleport destination sector a damaging floor sector effect (taking damage after teleporting makes you unfrozen)

- put multiple teleporters beside each other (each with a different teleport destination), so players don't use the same one

- use whacked/dehacked to edit the teleporter destination thing. Make it shootable and an obstacle. When you teleport, you will telefrag the destination and it will disappear, so put many destinations in the same tagged sector. Maybe you could make an alternate route in case all the destinations get telefragged. Also, give the destinations a lot of health, so that players don't kill them with guns, but not too much health so that you can't telefrag them.

Wow, thanks! this is very useful info.

Eponasoft said:

Arg, Gez beat me to it. :) I was going to suggest using multiple teleport points, or maybe using ACS to modify the destination Thing.

I will also look into ACS.

Another idea:

- if using zdoom, use the teleport destination with zheight (zheight at least 56)

BTW, if you edit the teleport destination with whacked/dehacked like I mentioned, monsters can't teleport unless it's map30.

DuckReconMajor said:

So what happens if you have multiple teleport destination things in a destination sector? I always assumed you'd go to a random one.

In zdoom, you go to a random one, but in doom2.exe (I dunno about boom, but I'm guessing it's the same) it only goes to the destination with the lowest thing number (or, if you have multiple destination sectors with the same tag, it goes to the sector with the lowest sector number, iirc).

Never heard about that before, cool.

You know...I wonder if it's possible to get the teleporter to not teleport when there's something blocking the destination pad, you know, monsters cant teleport if you're standing on their destination pad. Does anybody know the code for that?

Make a round teleport pad, instead of the usual square. Or still square, whatever, but the point is to have lots of tiny little linedefs. Make each linedef teleport to a different target. If they are small enough, it'll be unlikely that two people activate the same one first.

Gez said:

Have you thought about placing multiple teleport pads? Like, four different pads next to each other leading to four different targets also next to each other.

This is what I did in my Cold Steel map. The center room has a dual teleport setup to prevent co-op telefragging.

Gez said:

Make a round teleport pad, instead of the usual square. Or still square, whatever, but the point is to have lots of tiny little linedefs. Make each linedef teleport to a different target. If they are small enough, it'll be unlikely that two people activate the same one first.

This is probably the best way right here, and the fact that it should work just fine in vanilla is great.

Yeah I thought about that too, should be reasonably viable with square teleporters too. I tested the "destination on damaging floor" idea a bit. It's too fickle for my tastes as the delay before you take damage is a bit different every time, and even still, it doesn't cut much time. Unavoidable damage is pretty shitty for single player, but if it's for coop it's not a big problem.

Hehe, I thought this thread was going to be about telefragging some candelabras, or sending players into the void, or something.

Gez said:

Now thats a really nice and simple way of doing it! I think I'll try that out.

In Quake live Telefragging is made a lot more difficult to do even intentionally by the teleporter being more or less instant and on top of that pushing the the player slightly forward as he goes through.

In Doom, the player freeze a bit as he teleports and that gives a much larger window to telefrag him or her.

If you make it for Zdoom, you can probably make new teleporters that change these behaviors. If you do it for Boom. You can do instant teleporters and have the floor of the landing pad move items forward.

If it's for vanilla, all you can do is have separate teleporters for all players.

Gez said:

My brother did something like that once, in an attempt to make a teleporter that teleported you to a few random locations. It didn't actually work though. Would still teleport him to the same spot every time.

kristus said:

My brother did something like that once, in an attempt to make a teleporter that teleported you to a few random locations. It didn't actually work though. Would still teleport him to the same spot every time.

Works for me: http://www.mediafire.com/?qx6jl3m1bc8jqf0

edit: ok, it only kinda works. I can telefrag 4 demons out of 8.

Seems like a gameplay feature you need to get used to (i.e a skill thing vs a bug/design fault). It'd be like removing self-damage from barrels because you keep blowing yourself up.

eternal slumber said:

That's a very ugly hack.

kristus said:

You mean that some of the linedefs have priority over others, even if the center of the player doesn't cross them, but the side?

Can spechit overflows occur here? Only one of the linedefs is targetted at a time though in this case.

printz said:

That's a very ugly hack.

lols yeah, I think it's better suited for a specialized map. I started making a map a couple months ago with those killable destinations, it's supposed to be like "omg 85 different destinations in vanilla with one sector tag". You keep going through the same teleporter and it teleports you to different places every time. And I gave the destination the player sprite so you can see it, and you can shoot it up and down stairs, over cliffs, etc., and you have to put it in a spot where you need to teleport to.

Boom silent teleporters (linedef actions 207-210) are instant and preserve your momentum, so you would run off the pad at full speed as soon as you hit the line. The downside is of course no green flash or sound.