Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Hide and Seek Community Project

DISCLAIMER: SILLINESS LIES AHEAD

I am starting a new community project and I need your help. It is going to be a multiplayer only WAD (probably based on Skulltag, ZDaemon or something that can suit both) where the Doom marines play hide and seek with one another.

Before we get started, we need an idea to implement the mechanics. There are approximately eight billion different ways we can do this using good old fashion ZDoom stuff. We need some ideas men to help us figure out how we can implement the hide and seek game rules.

I'm figuring the crappy fallback we can have in case nothing else works is to have two teams CTF style and have the seekers have to do some long and annoying task to get to a berserk pack and megasphere in front of a teleporter that puts them into the game, whereas the hiding team spawns with nothing and spawns inside the game and gets plenty of time to go run and hide somewhere. But I think we can do much better than this with scripting or something.

For the maps and graphics, we will need lots of house related graphics and architecture to give off that authentic hide and seek atmosphere. Obviously we will need lots of contrast between light and dark inside of our houses so people can hide in a dark, quite spot, and then when the seekers comes to get them they have to run out in the exposed light areas to get away.

So here's what we need:

* GUYS WHO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING - They need to come up with the game system and implement it somehow. Ideas needed!
* GRAPHICS GUYS - We need lots of "house" style graphics, preferably some stock McMansion style graphics with dry wall, carpets, couches, TV sets and computers, lots of different wall papers, etc. Maybe some toys for sprites.
* MUSIC GUYS - We need some really silly music, something childish that sounds like the theme to a Saturday morning cartoon or something.
* MAP GUYS - Maps for this don't need to be detailed at all. Just really big with lots of contrast in lighting and places to hide.

Lets do it!

I don't get what you will be doing while you are hiding. Just... umm... sitting there waiting? Is there a way to make it so you can hear the marines footsteps as they get closer? Or maybe hiding places where you can see a large portion of the level but the seekers have no way of knowing where you are --like a window with a mid-texture so you can only see out, but can't see in.

Hellbent said:

I don't get what you will be doing while you are hiding. Just... umm... sitting there waiting? Is there a way to make it so you can hear the marines footsteps as they get closer?

I've seen footsteps in some ZDoom wads, I don't think that would be too difficult to pull off.

Vaporizer said:

Sigvatr, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

Alright, wise guy.

skaman86 said:

It looks like a curtain..??

It is a curtain! There a marine behind it too, just noticed that :p

Pay no attention to that marine behind the curtain!