Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alphawolf

How could I make sprites HQ?

I want to make monsters more higher quality, I've seen a sample of a baron on the internet somewhere where the quality of the sprite has improved. How do I do this myself? I want to make them all HQ and also some monsters from Realm667.

You can use automatic filtering and end up with stuff that looks bad, and certainly no better than if you had used GZDoom's built-in optional filters.

As a last possibility, you can do it the proper way, which is to say redraw each sprite to add detail and refine the drawing in way no filter would ever be able to, and if so we'll see you back in 2076 when you'll have finished that task.

Your choice. What will you do, something useless and redundant, or something that'd take too much effort for what it's worth?

Just so you know, the pics you are referring to such as the baron are generally done on the first or first two sprites of a monster, then the project is abandoned. The most successful hires sprite project I've seen was one that focused only on pickups and decorative items, not on monsters, because that way something can be finished in a couple of sprites rather than in more than a hundred.

GreyGhost said:
Try this

A tool that uses that algorythm is called "rotsprite". Its homepage seems down, but a little searching will usually yield you some alternative download sites, eg here. Its main use is rotating sprites, but you can also use it to scale up images.

The result is a much cleaner 'scaled-up' version of a sprite than you get with most other progs. With ports that support sprite scaling (ZDoom, EE) you can use this.

I'm not sure if any ports have a build-in algorythm for this.

Like the previous posters already wrote, graphics that are manually touched up to include more details give the best results. But that will take a lot of effort / skill / time.

Mordeth said:

I'm not sure if any ports have a build-in algorythm for this.

Several OpenGL ports do. Since the OP talked about Realm667 beasties I mentioned GZDoom; but Doomsday and EDGE feature the hqnx filters too.

These filters are optional though; so they have to be turned on somewhere within the option menu.

Alphawolf said:

I want to make monsters more higher quality, I've seen a sample of a baron on the internet somewhere where the quality of the sprite has improved. How do I do this myself? I want to make them all HQ and also some monsters from Realm667.

I would say that you should paint over the original sprites in a paint program like corel painter or photoshop but the fact that you are asking leads me to believe that you do not know how to use these programs... so... I don't have any other advice.

Mordeth said:

A tool that uses that algorythm is called "rotsprite". Its homepage seems down, but a little searching will usually yield you some alternative download sites, eg here. Its main use is rotating sprites, but you can also use it to scale up images.

Nice - I'm adding that to my toolbox. If only it could rotate sprites on their horizontal axis.

Thanks guys I think I'll go for those two, I'm not a fantastic artist and don't feel like redrawing several thousand sprites (I've got a lot of content from realm667 in there).

I've got a confession, I can't open up the HQ4E.exe I've tried using compatability mode for it to run in xp but in both windows 7 and it doesn't load.

No problem here. You seem to have a different exe filename though.

D:\winprog\hqx\bin>hqx
Usage: hqx [-s scaleBy] input output
Did you download from the Google Code site?

I got the exe name wrong, I downloaded the HQ4X.exe from this website I downloaded it and started the exe but it starts real quick with a black box and then shuts down immediately.

...why would you include thousands of algorithmically rescaled sprites in your (G)ZDoom wad, particularly when you can easily set GZDoom to do the exact same operation itself on-the-fly?

I admit, I was going to ask the same question but then my morbid curiosity took over because I wanted to see how long it would take to abandon this. I'm assuming Alpha skipped over Gez's first comment which was a good and accurate one.

Looks like I'll have to redraw the sprites myself. I'm not fantastic and I'm not giving up on it. I have a few projects I do, but Doom is always one that I come back to and finish. Gez might be right though about the 2076 finish though.

I'll see if I can find the guys that did a few baron sprites and cacodemons. I don't want to deter to far from the originals, just upscale them. Boy its going to take some time lol.

So GZDoom supports it

And what if someone wants high quality sprites in ZDoom/ST?

I want to improve the overall look of the sprites, for instance changing the original sprite into this:

This is my lol attempt at drawing a baron of hell from the low resoultion sprite png from doom.wad. I've never drawn one before or actually have drawn anything since 2004 and that was in school so don't expect it to look great ;)