Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Inq

Problem with running test

I can't test map when using Doom builder - the Doom builder claims the parametr is wrong. I checked other forums but I couldn't find anything specific and related to this issue.

The parameter I currently have for Doom:
-iwad "%WP" -skill "%S" -file "%AP" "%F" -warp %L1 %L2 %NM

From your parameter, I suspect you use "Doom 1" mode in Doom Builder.

Legacy DOOM doesn't support quotes in the filename, and subsequently long file names/paths.

Try turning off 'Customize Parameters' or point it to a modern sourceport.

[quote]point it to a modern sourceport.[\quote]
And this may be...?

And yes, I'm Doom 1. Why - I don't know.
Still I'd like to stay with 2,5d graphics.

I meant doom1 as opposed to doom2 or any other Doom Builder configuration.

Modern sourceports you see a lot are ZDoom and Skulltag

Sorry, but I don't know how.
You mean I have to import the map into acctual game?

I started playing with DB yesterday and currently I'm more throwing sand around than creating anything worthwhile. I watched tutorials yet I have no clue what I have to do to run the map without DB support.

Before you can use DB2, you have to set up your environment.
Start DB2.
Press F6.
Select and highlight the Configuration you want to use.
Under the Resources tab browse to and select the IWAD.
Under the Testing tab browse to and select the port.
Under the Modes tab select which modes you want to use.
Click OK.

Select New Map.
Construct your map. Don't forget, you need at least two sectors and a player start.
Test your map.
Make modifications if you so desire.
Save your map.

To play your map without the editor, drag your map onto the port icon.

Watch Alysium's tutorials http://www.doombuilder.com/index.php?p=tutorials

Maybe I should start with saying this but I modified the original Doom WAD by adding some extra textures. May this cause problems?
I didn't try aki method yet, but this with selecting things in DB config doesn't work. As well as dragging map file over icon.

You're going to be yelled at by many people for modifying an IWAD (doom.wad doom2.wad). Don't do that.

You aren't dragging it over the Doom Builder icon are you? Put it on Zdoom or whatever.

But definitely restore your Doom WAD to its original state. That might clear up your problems.

esselfortium said:

Why complicate things? Just drag and drop the WAD file onto the icon for your source port of choice. That's literally all it takes.

1) Command line args (demos, warping, fast monsters, etc.)

2) Drag and drop requires having at least one folder open for the maps, two if you don't like having all wads in the same folder as ports are or shortcuts on desktop. Add in browsing for the correct port and wad and stuff. Instead I'll just press a macro button mapped to a launcher on my keyboard, quickly select the wad I want to play and off we go. I used to do the drag 'n drop myself but it really was less convenient than CDL (then again, I designed it to suit my use scenarios, so I admit I'm a bit biased about it :P).

3) Temporarily extracting zips. That's big when playing non-Zdoom ports.

"You're going to be yelled at by many people for modifying an IWAD (doom.wad doom2.wad). Don't do that."

What about total conversions?

I thought Doom is freeware. Nevermind.
Ok, I'll try do reverse all this chaos I made and I'll get you know is everything working.

btw, when does a game becomes abbadonware / freeware?

IWADs aren't meant to be modified. Doom is extremely moddable without having to change the core files.

Abandonware is not a legal concept. Closest notion you can find would be for trademarks; which can indeed become free-for-all if abandoned -- but that's a completely different thing from copyright. Company-held copyrights expire 95 years after publication in US law; so Doom still needs to wait nearly 80 years before its copyright expires. (And, just so you know, its trademark won't unless Id disappears in the meantime.)

Doom isn't freeware. The first episode is still shareware; but the full game and its spinoffs (Doom II, Final Doom, etc.) are still commercially sold. $20] [url=http://idsoftware.com/games/doom/doom2/index8fb4.html?game_section=buy]each game on Id's online store; much cheaper on Steam.

I tried running test on Strife-based map. Still the same thing.
The Wad I'm using is clear (original Strife WAD, no changes done). I choose to run the test without parameters but the editor still and still says there's something wrong with the parameter. Dragging map WAD over Strife exe didn't help too.

DuckReconMajor said:

Freeware? Probably not in your lifetime.

There is a project going on called Freedoom. I believe they rewrote the code completely from scratch, and they are in the process of remaking all textures and levels from scratch. As nothing is based on the originals (only looks a bit like it) it's legal, and freeware.

Something happened. When I changed exe. to bat. as port in Doom Builder settings the game started. The game - not the map I wanted to test. Selecting new game started the first level - worked on Strife, Doom didn't run at all.

Maybe I will post this map here and somebody will see is everyting ok. Ok?