Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Average

Separate Forums For PrBoom+ & Choco?

I'd like to see separate forums a la Eternity for PrBoom+ and Chocodoom. There is a wealth of info in each of the ports' threads but it can be a nightmare to find what you're looking for trudging through dozens of pages for that one key thing. Is this something that could possible happen? I think it would be really helpful - especially to stop people asking repeat questions etc... :)

I've supported this idea before, although I think they ought to be sub-forums of source ports. DWF have always had an aversion to sub-forums, however, and I really doubt that's going to change now after all these years.

One problem is that some people are ignoramuses and won't use the proper sub-forum for their posts on Choco, PrBoom, etc, so it ends up just creating more annoying work for the mods (ie. me).

Sub-forums would be good. Is there a particular reason why there's an aversion (other than people posting in the wrong place)?

You'd end up with half a dozen dead subforums instead of one active one. You only need to make a specialized subforum when threads on one particular topic threaten to overwhelm a more general forum.

I agree that the port megathreads are hard to handle though. You have a point there. Unless you follow them obsessively you're going to miss stuff. As far as I know, the forum search function can't be restricted to one thread.

Maybe a single project for both Choco and Pr. Eternity has its own forum since it's a hosted project; Doomsday, EDGE, Skulltag, Vavoom, ZDoom, etc. all have their own forums on their own sites, but PrBoom+ and Chocolate Doom pretty much use this as their unofficial forum and their threads tend to be drowned out by the general chatter.

Search is one thing, but browsing a forum's thread list can give you info you wouldn't have found by searching, out of serendipity or because the term used isn't one you would have thought of.