Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Inq

Custom palette

How to import custom palette and replace standard palette from Doom?

Ok, but that doesn't help much - I know what palette is - I don't know how to put a custom one in the game.

If it is in the proper format, you just need to insert it as a lump named PLAYPAL in your mod. Global namespace, so outside of an BLAH_START/BLAH_END markers.

So, first: do you have a single palette, or the full range of 14 palettes needed? ZDoom and derivative can work with a PLAYPAL containing only one single palette, but for other ports it's not enough.

"So, first: do you have a single palette, or the full range of 14 palettes needed?"

One palette (256 colors). The other 13 are those which are used when player gets damage? From what I saw XWE editor has an option to apply necessary changes to the original palette.

What is the proper format?

That's pretty much why I linked to these wiki pages... The extra palettes are used for taking damage, picking up items, and using the radsuit. The proper format, as explained above, is a binary blob containing 256 sequential triplets of RGB values...

If something like SLADE 3 displays it as a palette, it's the good format.

Some time ago Bagheadspidey made some useful utilities, among them a Palette Dump.

It takes a picture and makes a palette from it, which is saved as an .act file. Open your pwad with XWE (I'm not sure if Slade3 could be used for that), then Entry -> Load the .act file and rename it PLAYPAL.

This way you can make palettes in a range from ridiculous to wonderful.

http://baghead.drdteam.org/tools.xml

Also, for information
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?p=468011#p468011

The method I use is I make each color just 1 pixel (it cannot be scaled up), and save it as a .RAW rgb image. Just import the .RAW file, and there's your palette.

If you post your palette here, I'd gladly do it for you. :)