Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rem

Changing skies through mapinfo?

Does anyone know how to edit mapinfo to change skies? I'm trying to get the cloudy E2 skies in this resource wad to be the default skies for every map in E1, but I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm starting to lose my sanity over this. :)

It's 4 sky pieces joined to make one full sky.

The project is boom compatible btw.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/87clii

Mapinfo isn't supported by Boom.

You can used dehacked to change the skies (it's in the Text section), but I'm not sure if all (or any) "Boom-compatible" ports support that, as it is a rarely used part of dehacked.

You can also use the MBF way of setting level-specific skies. It's not literally a Boom feature, but many ports support it (including Prboom+, when in Boom-compatible mode).

Just as a follow-on question (which I was going to post until I saw this). How would you change the skies in a vanilla wad? Would you still use DehackEd?

The simplest way to change the skies (works with anything) is to replace the relevant sky with a different image.

Of course, you are still restricted to having just one sky for each episode. If you want different skies for each map, or to define your "episodes" differently, then you need to use a port feature of one type or another.

Thanks for the respons Grazza:)

Grazza said:

The simplest way to change the skies (works with anything) is to replace the relevant sky with a different image.

I've tried this, although I think Pcorf used a more complex system which splits the E2 sky into 4 segments. Not sure how to explain it, but these 4 segments add up to create one sky. And what's more is that E1 doesn't have a sky, and the naming system has been changed so I'm not sure what to replace.

Sorry if I'm not making any sense at all here...

The sky are textures. Ultimate Doom and Doom II both use textures made up of a single patch, but that's not a necessity. It's possible to compose textures made up of a lot of patches to create a sky. TRINITY.WAD was, IIRC, one of the first to create a panoramic 360° sky by using four 256-pixel-wide patches to create a 1024-pixel-wide sky. This way, there's no repeat. This method has been imitated often since, notably in Final Doom.

The reason 1024-wide skies aren't made of a single patch is of course that a single patch cannot be that wide.