Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zom-B

Monsterfest: fight 10K+ monsters at once

This is a ZDOOM/ST wad I've been working on. It's a big arena where you can fight tons of monsters at the same time.

What sets this apart from other mass monster maps is that the monsters you fight are dynamically generated by scripts. You can choose between full games and customize.

Under full games, you can choose among some iwads and existing megawads, and from each, you can choose to fight the monsters of a single level, single episode or entire game.

Under customize, you can select a monster type, and then select the amount of monsters to fight (max 12120).

This is a beta version

I'd like love to hear comments or suggestions for improvement.

Known bugs:

ThingCount(T_NONE, 88) sometimes returns 1 too many. I don't know why. (zdoom bug?)

Once you alerted the monsters and finished the battle, for any subsequent battles the monsters will be alerted by default (Vanilla legacy)

Screenshots:

Screenshot_Doom_20110803_235210.png?raw=

Screenshot_Doom_20110803_235230.png?raw=

Screenshot_Doom_20110803_235325.png?raw=

Screenshot_Doom_20110803_235703.png?raw=

Screenshot_Doom_20110803_235117.png?raw=

Screenshot_Doom_20110803_235151.png?raw=

Screenshot_Doom_20110803_235201.png?raw=

Screenshot_Doom_20110803_235248.png?raw=

Screenshot_Doom_20110803_235257.png?raw=

Download:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jfmf2tbq6t2nafc/monsterfest.wad?dl=1

Edited by Zom-B : Link rot fixed

Well I tried it out it's pretty cool but I get a terrible lag if there alot of monster's but it may just be my computer. I didn't incounter any bug's while I was using it.

If you play will an almost full arena, then the needed calculations will slow down your computer.

On my computer, a Core 2.4GHz, it can slow down to as much as 1 fps with a full arena.

This is really cool. It's neat seeing all the monsters of a Doom game laid out in front of you. I think the suprwep thing should be optional if possible, though.

One problem I did notice though is that an arch-vile can push you over the little barrier surrounding the portal and make you lose your progress :(

I'd like to see someone do AV on here without getting any of the invulnerability spheres :)

I admit, Nuts was kind of my inspiration. That map really blew my processor. Some parts rendered barely at 0.3fps

I admit, Nuts was kind of my inspiration. That map really blew my processor. Some parts rendered barely at 0.3fps

vBulletin Message: "Sorry! The administrator has specified that users can only post one message every 60 seconds." - wut?

Edit: and why did it make a double post? This error message appeared on the first try ( i tried 3 times)

This is awesome, I really like it. I like that it's customizable and allows you to see all the monsters present in each game at once, that's pretty neat.

Zom-B said:

Once you alerted the monsters and finished the battle, for any subsequent battles the monsters will be alerted by default (zdoom bug?)

IIRC, when you make noise in a sector, the engine marks that sector as noisy by setting a "soundtarget" pointer to you. Monsters who use A_Look in a noisy sector automatically target the sector's soundtarget -- that is to say, you. Pretty much all monsters call A_Look in their Spawn state...

It's not a ZDoom bug, it's vanilla behavior. In the words of Lee Killough (in log_lee.txt from the Boom source code):

5/27/98:

Investigated problem where monsters awaken when carried by conveyors to another sector (perhaps through teleporter): Problem is that in Doom, player gunfire sounds are transmitted throughout sectors and stored in the form of 'soundtargets' for each sector. Each sector that can hear a player's gunshot gets that player as its soundtarget, and then anytime a monster goes in that sector, they can "hear" that soundtarget even if the sound is long-dead. This wasn't an issue in Doom because monsters didn't move from one sector to another unless they were already awake.

In Boom you can carry them when they are asleep, and then old sounds left over in sectors' soundtargets can awaken them for no apparent reason.

To conveyor belt contraptions, you can add scripted spawning as far as ZDoom is concerned.

Do you know if it is possible to 'reset' the sound target of a sector mid-game?

Zom-B said:

Do you know if it is possible to 'reset' the sound target of a sector mid-game?

In ZDoom, there's a per-map option to reset them automatically.

^ Biiiig image. Please resize for others who might not have 10mbit+ broadband or a 1600x1200 desktop resolution

Ok I complained about the image size, but it isn't the image that's ridiculously big, it's just the server that's slow from here.

NZ = new Zealand? In that case, it's the very country that is closest to the point on the globe that is opposite to me (NL)