Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yellowmadness54

Do you avoid power-ups?

Am I the only person who does my absolute best to avoid powerups such as the invisibility, and invulnerability?

When ever I am playing, and see these powerups, I will refuse to pick to them up, and hope I don't. I don't like the colour of the screen changing, or the weird moving dots of my invisible gun. And I hate the colour of the invunerability on my screen (that bright white) I also attempt this often with the radiation suits.

The invulnerability pisses me off. I don't think I was ever in a situation where it was mandatory for survival and the back and white-o-vision is irritating. Doom 64 made it more tolerable.

I usually hit the invisibility object, but it's not like it actually makes you invisible to monsters.

I don't mind the color of the screen changing all that much.

I avoid partial invisibility unless I know that there are a lot of hitscanners in the immediate area, and I like to save up invulnerability spheres until I find a good use for them, so 80% of the time they both go unused anyway.

I hate the screen changing colors, especially the green tint of the radiation suit, it just looks bad.

I hate those type of powerup's for one I don't usually need them and for two they actually interfear with my playing but I would say my least fav is the Invisibility because I never know what direction the monster will shoot at.

I don't mind the white screen, and it is very temporary anyway. Therefore I usually save invulnerabilities until situations where I know I will have to fight a large hoard of monsters. I tend to avoid invisibility spheres though, not because the look, but because they are generally only helpful against hitscan enemies and hurtful for all else.

lupinx-Kassman said:

I don't mind the white screen, and it is very temporary anyway. Therefore I usually save invulnerabilities

I will do that sometime's but not very often because of the blinding screen.

You're not the only person who fails to give his threads meaningful titles, unfortunately.

The visual effects don't trouble me. I tend to avoid invuls in older maps that placed them where they weren't needed at all. Some mappers would give you one every time you faced a cyberdemon, no matter how easy the battle actually was. In newer maps, I tend to assume they are there for a good reason, and try to work that out before picking it up.

As for invisibility, whether this is useful depends on the specifics, so I'll try to see what I'm facing before deciding whether to grab it. Though some mappers will force you to pick it up before facing monsters against which it is just a hindrance.

You didn't mention berserk. I'll pretty much always pick that up, whatever my health is at the time. Berserk is a weapon, first and foremost.

I usually avoid picking up invuls and invisibility, I find them annoying, I also pick up berserks. Like Grazza said it is another weapon, I just don't like when the screen tints over with colors. Especially all black and white.

Hah, thought I was the only one who did this. Things I tend to avoid: berserk packs, invulnerability spheres, blue spheres, and chainsaws. Unless they are mandatory or immediately useful, I don't bother.

I will pick up powerups, but not everytime, depends weather it's useful or time consuming to take it or not. But the partial invisibilty is the most useless powerup in my opinion. And I don't care about screen change much.

Grazza said:

You're not the only person who fails to give his threads meaningful titles, unfortunately.

You didn't mention berserk. I'll pretty much always pick that up, whatever my health is at the time. Berserk is a weapon, first and foremost.

Ill try to... fix my thread titles at well. I'm trying to be a better poster now.

I don't mind the red of the beserk, however. It fits in well, and is very fast. Only thing I didn't like (cliche) is that I use rushed to hit as many enemies as I could before it "turned off" heh

I still need that 100% items so, yeah, i pick up everything. I'll avoid the invis until there are no monsters around unless i have to deal with a lot of hitscanners.

I hate the invisibility when i know i'm going into an area with a lot of fireballs. If i'm visible, I know the monsters will shoot at me, and i know how to avoid that. If they start shooting randomly, sometimes they shoot at me, sometimes to my right or left and i inevitably end up just running into a ton of fireballs. However, against hitscanners, invis is gold.

I pick up everything, but that doesn't take away from the fact that I hate the red tint the Berserker pack gives my screen. The Rad-suit isn't as bad, and I actually like the Invulnerability sphere, because it lets me run around really dark sections of the map without worry.

But as Grazza said, I like to leave some powerups behind until I find an opportunity to grab them later on and maximize their usage.

I also hate grabbing a Blur artifact only to be faced with monsters like Barons and Cacodemons, since they're more likely to actually hit me. The Blur artifact is the one time I'm glad to see Chaingunners.

Invisibility helps with hitscanners, but it makes fireball/missle enemies harder to fight because their attacks become so random that it takes quicker reflexes to dodge them than with the usual pattern of strafing as soon as their attack animation starts. I also often strafe into fireballs that wouldn't have hit me otherwise.

Invulnerability feels more like a secret item to me, though I can imagine it also working well as a regular (not hidden) one in certain situations which require the player to use it to his strategic advance, e.g. take on the strongest monsters first in a huge horde fight, or use it to quickly run through a horde for a better fighting position. Usually I tend to waste it by wandering around trying to find enemies or going in the wrong direction.

Berzerk is something that I often save up until I'm low on health, even if it's clear the mapper put it there for me to use as a weapon. I'm not so good at punching the strong monsters like Barons and Mancubi.

Soul-/Megasphere is always welcome.

I tend to save the various powerups until I actually need them, although as I'm not clairvoyant I do end up either wasting some (invulnerability mostly, due to the shorter duration) or getting one when its doing me no favours (invisibility + mancubi or cyberdemon).

Berserk and lite amp goggles are pretty much always picked up as soon as I see them the first time though.

There are only a few spots where I usually pick up invulnerability spheres, e.g. Doom2 MAP08 (just before entering the pain elemental room.) IIRC there's another in MAP28 (haven't played that for a while though.)

I usually avoid invisibility spheres, but sometimes its too awkward e.g. on Doom2 MAP07 I grab them all at the start and wait for them to wear off before I enter the central area.

I avoid invulnerability when possible but always get partial invisibility. I really like Brutal Doom changing the invisibility into a rescuable marine.

Technician said:

The invulnerability pisses me off. I don't think I was ever in a situation where it was mandatory for survival

You sir, have not played Sunder... :D

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

You sir, have not played Sunder... :D

There are hardly any invuls. :]

Well, actually there are hardly any powerups at all.

I almost always pick up any powerup I find. Actually, the one thing I can remember avoiding was actually the light goggles. However, I think this was because I was playing an IWAD and already knew the level well enough (and it's not like you needed it anyway...I think it's the dark room at the end of e1m...3?)

Invulnerability are usually not necessary especially in IWADs. However, they are fun as a little happy-go-lucky bonus where you can just RIP AND TEAR.

I think one of the flaws of modern mapping style is the under-use of invulnerability. Even without being a slaughter map there's ways to make them useful (crushers anyone?)

The invulnerability is my favorite powerup. I do mind the screen going white, but not as much as I used to, and as I've seen explained on these boards it's a good drawback for the amount of power you get.

Partial invisibility, avoid most of the time, except against hitscanners. Although sometimes I will step on it on purpose if it's in a spot I might run into accidentally later during a tougher fight.

The red tint of berserk doesn't annoy me. Generally, if I have ample munitions, I avoid it until I'm low on life, and if the ammo balance is tight, I pick it up right away.

Light goggles I always grab right away.

Jimi said:

How well does invisibility work against revenant homing missiles?

It does nothing. A Revenant's homing missile isn't even launched in a random initial direction, at an invisible player.

A Revenant's non-homing missile is launched in a random direction, like any other missile against an invisible player though.

The flaming skulls of Heretic's Nitro Golem's are initially launched in a random direction, though it quickly turns and homes in on you.

Makes me wonder if the difference is because the Revenant's A_Tracer is called every state, including the first, where as the Nitro Golem's A_MummyFX1Seek is only called on every even state (i.e second, forth, sixth etc). That the Revenant's homing missile is indeed launched in a random initial direction, but the A_Tracer on the missiles first state immediately undoes it.

In the early days of Doom, the Invisibility probably worked on the Demon's bite attack, as it was a short range hitscan attack in the early versions.

When I used to play doom64 in a dark room, my eyes would get used to the darkness and things like the invulnerability powerup would hurt my eyes when picked up.

Thinking about it actually, I usually grab the invulnerability as an excuse to use my rocket launcher as a melee weapon for a bit.

Vermil said:

In the early days of Doom, the Invisibility probably worked on the Demon's bite attack, as it was a short range hitscan attack in the early versions.

I thought it still did? At least, you can see the demons turning this way and that during the attack animation. I guess I never tested to see if it ever misses

See, the invincibility powerup would be far better if you had whatever weapon you were holding flash colours, like when you grab the invisibility powerup and your gun turns semi-invisible.