Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Craigs

Bethesda is threatening to sue Notch

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/8519901309/bethesda-are-suing-us-heres-the-full-story

I seriously doubt they have an actual case, but I still find it kind of funny they're even trying. By their logic, doesn't this mean that the developers of STALKER could be sued by Activision for having a name with Call in it? Or that Rockstar could be sued by THQ for having a game with Red in it?

Chill out Todd Howard. We all feel a little ripped off by Vacation Boy, but there's no need to mask it behind some weak lawsuit.

Coopersville said:

We all feel a little ripped off by Vacation Boy

Uhhhhhhhhhhh... nope. Try again.

I guess Bethesda's lawyers decided they didn't want EA and Activision-Blizzard to be the only large companies to be absolute pricks to people.

You can't trademark a single common word, this case is invalid.

And if this is Bethesda, mark up another one for Zenimax. They are proving themselves to be quite the accomplished IP trolls. What a great company to have to deal with for our community. id sure picked a winner.

Zenimax has been going downhill ever since it kicked out its own founder.

It sucks because I like their development studios -- Bethesda, Arkane and id all have made games I really enjoyed.

Use3D said:

Scrolls is a dumb name for a game anyway.

It really is, but that doesn't change the fact that Bethesda shouldn't be doing this stuff.

Anyone reconsidering against buying Skyrim upon light of this shenanigan?

Aliotroph? said:

Sounds similar to Microsoft's trademark "Windows." I'm not sure any court has definitively killed that one.

Or their "Bookshelf" trademark.

Though the case here is different. If Bethesda trademarked "The Elder Scrolls" but not "Scrolls" alone; they're in a weaker position than if they had used and trademarked "Scrolls" and "The Elder Scrolls" was the name of Notch's project.

Tip for Notch: trademark "Papyrus", "Parchment", or "Vellum".

Mr. Chris said:

Nope. This can probably be made to go away either through a court or appropriately-targeted mass outrage. Their games are still awesome and pleasantly light on the DRM front.

Mr. Chris said:

Hell no. I'm not missing out on Skyrim because of some dumb assed lawyer bullcrappage.

Mr. Chris said:

Not my cup of tea anyway, but Rage and D4 are looking decidedly shaky ...

Aliotroph? said:

...pleasantly light on the DRM front.

The only pleasant DRM is no DRM.

Something's fishy here. I smell a scam.

Gez said:

Zenimax has been going downhill ever since it kicked out its own founder.

Id has been going downhill ever since it kicked out 3/4 of its founders.

Quasar said:

The only pleasant DRM is no DRM.

Times are changing my friend

indeed, i think it's silly to boycott a game because of nonsensical copyright business. think of how many of the actual developers have *nothing* to do with this.

Danarchy said:

Id has been going downhill ever since it kicked out 3/4 of its founders.

So true...so sad.

Doom Dude said:

Hell no. I'm not missing out on Skyrim because of some dumb assed lawyer bullcrappage.

So much this, it's the only upcoming game I'm excited for.

Xeros612 said:

Uhhhhhhhhhhh... nope. Try again.

1. I was joking and just going along with that bandwagon, since I technically don't even own Minecraft. It think it's funny, but since you took the bait...

2. It's still true.

a) You just bought the game recently
b) You've been playing with various mods
c) You've logged less than a 100 hours in it

If you have done any of those, some would argue that you have no say. There hasn't really been any major gameplay additions since 1.4, apart from minor conveniences like maps and shift-clicking (some of which are negated by various inconveniences, like the nerfing fire).

Anyway, this lawsuit is pretty absurd. An absurd response is only necessary.

I expect an amiable arrangement to be reached out of court -- especially as soon as the PR guys get to have a watercooler chat with the lawyer guys -- but in the meantime they've got to make a good show of defending their trademark or risk seeing it being generalized.

Coopersville said:

stuff

Bought in alpha, have played vanilla for the majority of my play time, only recently tossing in toomanyitems and flymod for building my adventure map thing. So ha. etc.

Coopersville said:

1. I was joking and just going along with that bandwagon, since I technically don't even own Minecraft. It think it's funny, but since you took the bait...

2. It's still true.

a) You just bought the game recently
b) You've been playing with various mods
c) You've logged less than a 100 hours in it

If you have done any of those, some would argue that you have no say. There hasn't really been any major gameplay additions since 1.4, apart from minor conveniences like maps and shift-clicking (some of which are negated by various inconveniences, like the nerfing fire).

Anyway, this lawsuit is pretty absurd. An absurd response is only necessary.

I don't know what a Vacation Boy is (is it a joke about Notch?) but thanks for the tip about Shift-Clicking. I just started playing again after a long break and had no idea.