Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kaiser

Doom64 EX 2.1 Released

EDIT: 10-1-11
Doom64 EX 2.1 is out, head over to the homepage for a list of changes. A new forum is also online as well so all bugs, discussions, etc can be posted there instead of here.

http://doom64ex.wordpress.com/

With RAGE right around the corner, I hope to release Doom64 EX before that game is released. Since the feedback build a ton of improvements and bug fixes were made as well as new features.

One of the biggest change is the audio system and Wadgen. Thanks to Natt, the sound/music format for Doom64 has been identified and Wadgen now fetches the sound data. Doom64 EX now leverages the fluidsynth library to play all sounds and music in the game.

---- Install Notes ----
* Make sure everything except for your configs is cleared out before unzipping the contents of the zip file into your Doom64 EX directory

---- Wadgen Notes ----
* Unlike before, Wadgen will output both the IWAD and Soundfont file (called DOOMSND.SF2) which contains all the instruments and sounds used to make the music.
* Wadgen can also recognize any ROM format now.

---- Doom64 EX Notes ----
* SDL_Mixer has been replaced with Fluidsynth
* Initial implementation of Mapinfo and other script files for customization
* Several new features such as damage indicators has been added
* Console has been revamped and improved
* Savegames has been updated to display thumbnails. Menu interface has been revamped as well
* Old savegames will not work

---- Fluidsynth Notes ----
Because that I've redesigned the audio system from scratch at very last minute, I am worried that there may be some really horrendous bugs that may have been introduced. If any bugs have been found, PLEASE report them ASAP.

I am also concerned for Fluidsynth's CPU usage. If anyone is experiencing performance problems, make sure that disabling the music and sound (-nomusic, -nosound params) fixes it. If it does, report it.

---- Music Accuracy Notes ----
Some may be complaining that the music in some places are not playing the notes properly. The problem is, those notes failed to play on the N64! I had to verify this numerous times and I checked the disassembly over and over but it turns out that some notes in the midi data simply fails to play, which explains why some of the ambiance music in the original game simply goes silent for a short period of time.

Two midi tracks I can think of is Holding Area and Pitfalls. There is one note in Holding Area that turns off prematurely (bug on the N64's end) and some notes at the beginning of Pitfalls fails to play. Again I verified the midi data AND the disassembly and haven't found anything that may be wrong or incorrect. So you may be hearing what the music was intended to sound like.

However I haven't identified every midi event in Doom64 but rather guessed what they be. One of them is the channel pressure event which I only guessed because of how it's being used. The second is the pitch bend which I believe is 80% accurate to the original. The pitch bend range in Doom64 is -8192 to 8191 while the standard midi pitch bend range is 0 to 16383. Anyone with midi composing experience is more than welcome to help correct any issue that I have missed. You can also extract the midi data from the IWAD once outputted by Wadgen.

You can also play the midi tracks from Slade or VLC.

As usual I appreciate everyone's help to make Doom64 as stable as possible. I am hoping to get this released this month if all goes well.

Enjoy

Kaiser said:

---- Music Accuracy Notes ----[/b]
Some may be complaining that the music in some places are not playing the notes properly. The problem is, those notes failed to play on the N64! I had to verify this numerous times and I checked the disassembly over and over but it turns out that some notes in the midi data simply fails to play, which explains why some of the ambiance music in the original game simply goes silent for a short period of time.

Interesting. In the future (there's certainly nothing critical or priority about it) it may be worth it to have a compat option for MIDI playback, so we can choose whether the bogus notes are played or not. It would certainly make sense at least as a MAPINFO option for mods with their own MIDI soundtracks.

I was actually looking into that but I've found it difficult to replicate something that's buggy. Though I think I might know what's causing the note to stop prematurely in Holding Area but it's all guesses at the moment.

WadGen fails CMake? I must have screwed something up.

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:9 (add_executable):
  Cannot find source file:

Package.c

Tried extensions .c .C .c++ .cc .cpp .cxx .m .M .mm .h .hh .h++ .hm .hpp
  .hxx .in .txx

Package.c was removed from the SVN so I think that cmake script is out of date. Unfortunately I know nothing about cmake nor know how to properly update CMakeLists.txt

As long as dependencies aren't changed, you can get away with just adding and removing files from the listing as appropriate depending on how the code evolves. :)

@Natt: the cmake list has been updated on the SVN. To speed things up, I'll just post it here:

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.6)
project(WadGen)

find_package(PNG REQUIRED)

include_directories(${PNG_INCLUDE_DIR})

add_executable(WadGen
	DeflateN64.c
	Files.c
	Gfx.c
	Level.c
	Mem.c
	Png.c
	Rom.c
	SndFont.c
	Sound.c
	Sprite.c
	Texture.c
	Wad.c
	WadGen.c
)

target_link_libraries(WadGen ${PNG_LIBRARY})
Edit: I also updated the cmake list for Doom64ex as well

Very nice Kaiser and I think I like the messed up music better than what it was supposed to sound like.

Well, the previous version of Doom64EX works better for me.

I was running it in WINEskin http://wineskin.doh123.com/ previously and that worked well but it seems updates to that broke the mouse support it in it recently. So I switched it over to Cider http://transgaming.com/business/cider which is a totally different branch of WINE than what WINEskin uses and it works again. However, Cider doesn't do GUI apps so you can't run wadgen in it you have to run it in wineskin beforehand and then move your files over to cider after having generated the WAD. The result of either is a .app file that when double clicked launches like a normal mac application. So with either method the end result is a standalone Doom64EX.app file that launches like any other mac game.

I could probably apply a mouse patch to WINEskin to fix the mouse (which is broken now for me there for old or new versions of doom64ex... it's because they are messing with the xinput stuff a lot in the main WINE builds that wineskin uses) but since the mouse support seems more stable in Cider I'm going for that for now.

The real problem is the sound. I noticed with the new version there's cyclical pops going whenever a sound is played and the music doesn't play unless you adjust the volume of it... and generally the sound effects volume is showing up way beyond it's highest volume until you fiddle with it. So yeah right now the best way to run it on the Mac barring a native compiled port is to run the previous version via a cider wrapper.

Just out of curiosity how would one go about compiling it natively on the Mac (or linux for that matter)? It doesn't seem to have any make files or xcode project files or files for any other platforms other than the vcproj file which I assume is for windows.

I see you mention cmake and i have installed that via macports.. however I don't know what you are supposed to use it with in Doom64EX's source.

I really don't know how to resolve that. It's not guaranteed that Doom64 EX will run properly on such emulators like Wine.

I also have no knowledge of how to setup the things necessary to compile on Mac/Unix OS. I could really use some help on that as I only have access to the Windows platform.

Yeah I wasn't really asking for help per say more like reporting my findings as some may find it interesting. Did you know WINE stands for WINE is Not Emulation? ;) (more like a wrapping\compatibility layer) My resolution to the sound thing is just to stick to the doom64ex version that works for the sound (the previous feedback build) in the wrapper that works for the mouse (cider) and hope the next version just so happens to fix it somehow (the sound anyway.. I can run wadgen via wineskin if need be) sometimes WINE just exposes bugs that incidentally get fixed as an app is revised it seems to me.

Anyway it seems the main branch of WINE and the WINEskin program for Mac is a little too much in a state of flux for doom64ex at least when it comes to the mouse. So again I'm going to be sticking to running it via cider for a while.

Still it's better than running the N64 version in an ACTUAL emulator in my opinion. :)

About compiling it: If one could just type in "./configure" and "make" into the terminal or some such thing or open up xcode with an xcode project file like you have for the IDE you use and just hit build and have it spit out a Mac version I'd probably do that. But I guess this needs a make file for systems other than windows am I correct? I wouldn't know how to write one of those here.

Lastly, and no offense but I find it amusing that you say you support *nix when you can't even compile for it. ;)

smoke.tetsu said:

Lastly, and no offense but I find it amusing that you say you support *nix when you can't even compile for it. ;)

At least it once compiled on Linux and Mac OS X with CMake. Seems to be a few errors now, but back when I wrote the CMake files (a year ago) it worked fine on Linux, but Mac OS X had issues with the sound code.

Not sure how well it works now, but I haven't been working on ZDoom64 so I haven't had much of a reason to compile Doom64 EX.

Edit:

Kaiser said:

I also have no knowledge of how to setup the things necessary to compile on Mac/Unix OS. I could really use some help on that as I only have access to the Windows platform.

If you need help getting a Linux build environment just get some (32-bit) variant of Ubuntu installed in a VM and contact me on IRC. (Personally I use Kubuntu, but since we're talking about a VM Xubuntu might be a beter choice.)

smoke.tetsu said:

My resolution to the sound thing is just to stick to the doom64ex version that works for the sound (the previous feedback build)

I am not switching back to SDL_Mixer >_>

smoke.tetsu said:

Yeah I know. This was back when I first started on it and didn't realized how much work this was going to be. I am in a hurry to get the windows version done but after it's released I can then focus on the Mac/Unix ports.

Also, try using the -noxinput parameter and see if disabling xinput resolves the mouse input? Aside from that I haven't really updated the mouse code at all since the feedback build.

Yeah I tried passing on the -noxinput parameter (via the box where you enter that kind of stuff) but it seems to ignore it (it was still saying xinput in the startup window).

Oh well. Since it happened with both versions (the feedback and the new build) on WINEskin either way after it had been updated recently I think it's WINEskin's fault... not yours. WINEskin uses an X11 server in OS X and seems to have mouse problems depending on game and version of WINE's engine (yet with the latest version in which the X11 may have been updated it seems to have problems with doom64ex's mouse code no matter which version of WINE engine I use). Cider doesn't use X11 like WINEskin does so it's immune to that. So I switched it over... for now.

Also the sound thing seems to be cider specific so like i said I think I'll just wait for either you to revise your new sound code (which may or may not fix it who knows) or upgrade it to a newer revision of cider which may fix it or wait until you port it natively. Whichever comes first. Sometimes it's trial and error and finding which version works best.

In the meantime the feedback build is working fine for me in cider.

I am actually done with the new sound code. The only thing that I need to do to it is simply fixing bugs (if there are any). Though do you get a similar issue if you ran prboom with fluidsynth support?

I get a red line on top of the firesky when linear filtering is on. Didnt have that in the previous version, but the one before that had it too... and Oh, is it possible to display just one type of view for the automap, instead of having to press twice for my prefered one? Anway, this is awsome, so keep up the good work.

TheEndOfUs said:

I get a red line on top of the firesky when linear filtering is on. Didnt have that in the previous version, but the one before that had it too

I'll have a look at it. Kinda odd that the feedback build had it but previous one before that one didn't.

Playing it on my A64/Gt7600/XP - runs fine so far.

When I save a game the snapshot that's taken is the snapshot with the save box - should be changed to game view only.

I tried to use the wadgen but it doesn't do anything, but I tried the last version's wadgen and it does work.

Kaiser said:

What happens? Does it report an error message?

Doesn't even report an error, just does nothing.

Also I am using Win7 64x incase you need to know.

What's the name of the rom that you're trying to open? What's the file extension on that?

Kaiser said:

What's the name of the rom that you're trying to open? What's the file extension on that?

Sorry I didn't explain correctly, I mean the wadgen program doesn't open.

Kaiser said:

Pretty odd. Is this through the quicksave or normal save menu?

-Save via F2.

-"S_Init: Setting up sound." takes a pretty long time when starting up(10 - 20 seconds). Didn't encounter this in older builds.

_bruce_ said:

-Save via F2.

I can't seem to repro this. Are you getting this issue if you saved normally through the menu? (Hit escape, select save game, etc)

_bruce_ said:

-"S_Init: Setting up sound." takes a pretty long time when starting up(10 - 20 seconds). Didn't encounter this in older builds.

It's the sound library initializing. Not much I can do with that. What's your specs?