Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jstalvern

Doom WADs for Ultimate Doom on Steam

I'm new to the world of Doom. I got it off of Steam, and was wondering how to play custom WADs on Ultimate Doom for steam. Do I create a separate folder with the WAD(s) and put a copy of Ultimate Doom inside of it, or do I require a source port?
Again, I apologize for my noobish question.

Strictly speaking, you don't require a source port. However, you might not want to deal with the arcana of the command line in a DOSBox environment. To make it simpler to load mods, you can look into using a frontend. ZDL and CDL are the most commonly used. And for a frontend, you'll need a port since they will need to run the game as a native app, not a DOSBox app.

Generally, the thing is to use the -file whatever.wad command line parameter to Doom (or your choice of source port). With several ports, you can also use a drag-and-drop system -- drag whatever.wad on the icon of the source port exe (or a shortcut) and there you go.

As far as source ports go, I'd recommend Chocolate Doom for the most faithful port (except for a rare few convenience things, it'll be exactly the same as the original) or ZDoom (for a port that, on the contrary, adds a lot of additional features and enhancements). Both can find the Doom data files directly in the Steam folders, so you can just unzip them anywhere, run the exe, and it works. Don't hesitate to browse their respective wikis a bit for further info. There are plenty of other ports worthy of being given a look but the others will need you to put a copy of the Doom IWADs in their directory.

I'd recommend getting copies of GZDoom, chocolate doom and PrBoom+. Then get ZDL and set up your IWAD (game wads) and source ports in that. Boom is great for your standard wads, GZDoom for ZDoom wads and chocolate for standard wads when you want a purist feel to it.

ZDL is essential IMO, it makes working with large numbers of wads much easier. If you need any help setting it up I can post a step by step but it's pretty easy so you should be sweet.

I know with Zdoom you can just drag+drop the wad onto Zdoom.exe and it goes. Some other source ports do this too. Of course, the source port's exe needs to be in the same place as your doom.wad/doom2.wad.