Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Platinum Shell

How to extract the push-able barrels feature from Brutal DooM?

Hey, guys! First post here, and hopefully many more to come!

Lately, I've been feeling the immense urge to be able to push barrels in DooM, instead of waiting an hour for the enemies to get next to the thing.

I know that one of the many features in Brutal DooM V.10B, are pushable barrels; able to move them by constantly moving into the them (which was actually very smooth, the barrels aren't difficult to push at all), and moving them at a quicker rate should the run button be held.

My only question is, can someone tell me how to extract this feature from the Brutal DooM .WAD itself, making a stand-alone mod with this feature? Or if that's not possible, how to safely remove everything else from the mod, but keep in that feature?

Thanks for your time guys!

-PS

Actor PushBarrel : ExplosiveBarrel replaces ExplosiveBarrel { +PUSHABLE }

Save the above line as decorate.txt and load it. There you go.

Gez said:

Actor PushBarrel : ExplosiveBarrel replaces ExplosiveBarrel { +PUSHABLE }

Save the above line as decorate.txt and load it. There you go.

Sorry, noob at Decorate here, are you referring to a certain type of file in Decorate? I tried it awhile ago but was overwhelmed by the lack of visual guides for the program, so I have no knowledge of the program whatsoever. Is it a file created through DeHacked?

DECORATE is not a program. It's a content definition language.

Just use any text editor -- even notepad will do -- copy the aforementioned line, save it as decorate.txt and then drag-and-drop that text file to zdoom.exe. Easy-peasy.

If you want to integrate that in a wad file, or pk3 or whatever, just import the decorate.txt file as a lump in the wad (or other) archive.

Gez said:

DECORATE is not a program. It's a content definition language.

Just use any text editor -- even notepad will do -- copy the aforementioned line, save it as decorate.txt and then drag-and-drop that text file to zdoom.exe. Easy-peasy.

If you want to integrate that in a wad file, or pk3 or whatever, just import the decorate.txt file as a lump in the wad (or other) archive.

Ah, thanks for the informing reply; I did all of the aforementioned steps into a Text Document, and loaded it up with SkullTag, but I did not acheive any results.

I applied moving force unto the barrel but it would not budge, nor would it if monsters pushed it.

Could it be because of the fact that SkullTag lacks some code that Z-DooM does? I heard of it still lacking some code parameters and whatnot, therefore it's not supported for many new content mods and such.

Copy/pasting Gez's script worked for me in Skulltag. Is your "decorate.txt" a plain text file or a renamed Word document?

GreyGhost said:

Copy/pasting Gez's script worked for me in Skulltag. Is your "decorate.txt" a plain text file or a renamed Word document?

Oh trust me, it works just fine with Z-DooM and GZ-DooM.It is a text document, and I've got it to work perfectly with both of the aforementioned Ports.

What version of Skulltag are you using that allows it to work? As I am using the latest release.

GreyGhost said:

I'm using 0.98d-r3021 on Windows XP Home.

Same for me, but I'm using 7-Home (not relevant to the topic anyway, but lol)

Quite strange! You say it works for you? Maybe I accidently deselected it from start up.

*facepalm* It DOES work for ST aswell...damn folder page likes to scoot up a mile when selecting things, must have selected something else. (as I was selecting multiple files)

If you get sick of drag'n'drop, another option is to add it to Skulltag's .ini as an autoload file. The following should work nicely if you drop a copy of "decorate.txt" into your Skulltag folder.

Path=./decorate.txt

GreyGhost said:

If you get sick of drag'n'drop, another option is to add it to Skulltag's .ini as an autoload file. The following should work nicely if you drop a copy of "decorate.txt" into your Skulltag folder.

Thanks for the tip! I think I'm gonna get around to that here once I finish my enhanced ammo wad.