Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

Odamex 0.5.4 Released

Odamex has officially been upgraded to 0.5.4. From the Odamex website:

Odamex 0.5.4 is a rather hefty release that will ultimately serve to bridge the gap between the 0.5 series and 0.6. Along with the usual bug fixes, it features a number of experimental features expected to be complete for the 0.6 release...The most notable of the new features found in Odamex 0.5.4 are both the inclusion of unlagged support and early net demo support, both of which have been a long time coming. These features are both currently in experimental stages, so while we encourage you to give them a try, we also encourage you to report any issues or bugs that you run across while using them so that the Odamex team can do its best to stamp out these issues going into our next major version.

There are many additional changes for both players and server administrators in Odamex 0.5.4 that you can read about in more detail on the release page, SVN changelog, or the official release statement.

Whoops, looks like something bad happened with the Windows installer tonight! Expect that to be fixed by tomorrow along with the Mac package.

Question to Ralphis, will unlagged make coop sessions better for likes of Deus Vult II? Skulltag's netcode is so poor it can't handle it, same with Sunder unless you have an uber connection from a company.

The windows installer was updated around 6:30am CDT, so it should be working at the time of this posting.

alterworldruler said:

Question to Ralphis, will unlagged make coop sessions better for likes of Deus Vult II? Skulltag's netcode is so poor it can't handle it, same with Sunder unless you have an uber connection from a company.

This is a good question that will require more testing. "Unlagged" is considered experimental until at least 0.6 (though that's not to say it isn't pretty stable). It has mostly been tested in dm/ctf environments so far, so we're not entirely sure of the effects in coop.

Mancubus II said:

The windows installer was updated around 6:30am CDT, so it should be working at the time of this posting.

This is a good question that will require more testing. "Unlagged" is considered experimental until at least 0.6 (though that's not to say it isn't pretty stable). It has mostly been tested in dm/ctf environments so far, so we're not entirely sure of the effects in coop.

Well, I think it's worth giving a shot. Odamex could become the best coop port for vanilla/boom wads, ESPECIALLY the colossuses like Deus Vult II map21 or Sunder with some extensive testing.

alterworldruler said:

Question to Ralphis, will unlagged make coop sessions better for likes of Deus Vult II?

A quick run down of what the Unlagged feature actually does:
When a player fires a hitscan weapon (SSG, chaingun, etc), the server moves all enemy players in the world to their previous position X milliseconds ago, where X is the latency between the player and the server. The server then performs the calculations to see which enemies the player damaged, and then moves everything back to its correct position. So the goal is to eliminate a player's need to aim in front of a moving enemy player when using hitscan weapons on a laggy connection.

To answer your question, the Odamex Unlagged code does not move monsters to their previous position when a lagging player fires a hitscan weapon. A quick glance at the Skulltag forum shows that it was considered during the development of their unlagged code but was decided against (at least at the time) due to memory usage. Making the Unlagged code work smoothly in Odamex Deathmatch was our first priority but since it is still considered experimental, we will definitely look into extending the code to work with monsters as well. However, tests of server performance on wads like Deus Vult II would likely dictate our final decision on supporting monsters with our code. If it brings the server to a grinding halt, well, it probably wouldn't be worth it...

There are also other places within the codebase that can be optimized to improve performance, perceptual or actual, other than an "unlagged" concept.

Just a little clip of a d5m1 1on1 I played with Humanbones shortly after 0.5.4 release. Nothing special as far as my play, just wanted to show the smoothness of this release. I do pull off a fun trick jump around 1:55 though

I got an error when I try to run Odamex 0.5.4

"W_GetNumForName: SNDCURVE not found!"

Anybody knows what that means and the problem is?

Philnemba said:

I got an error when I try to run Odamex 0.5.4

"W_GetNumForName: SNDCURVE not found!"

Anybody knows what that means and the problem is?

I believe the problem is that you are using odamex.wad from a release prior to 0.5.4. The error message means that the Odamex client can not find the lump data in odamex.wad for the ZDoom sound attenuation table (SNDCURVE), which is a new feature in the 0.5.4 release. Try removing odamex.wad and replacing it with the file found in our current release.

Dr. Sean said:

Try removing odamex.wad and replacing it with the file found in our current release.

The Odamex.wad IS the latest current release file(Dated August 9th on the file).

If you are using the official launcher, it has to be pointing at the wrong install in that case. That's the only thing I can think of. I just tested and the packages currently on the website should work just fine. I'm thinking it has to be user-error in some capacity but let me know what you come up with