Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Thoughts on Dead Space 2

I do believe there are some Dead Space 2 players on board and would like to know what your general opinions about the game are. I myself am enjoying it now after waiting for the price to go down to $30 from $60 when it was released in January.

It looks like it improves on the original game here and there but the good ol' survival horror motif is in full blast, and makes for an excellent nighttime game with the sound cranked up.

I really, really wanted to like the original Dead Space. But I remember getting stuck very early in the game, wandering around for like half an hour. I looked up a walkthrough, completed the task needed to advance, then almost IMMEDIATELY got stuck again. Then I put the game down and never came back. Maybe I just wasn't being patient, but if I can't immediately jump into a game, it tends to rub me the wrong way.

There's no reason to get stuck in either game. There's a path-finder feature that projects your required path onto the floor in front of you, a feature that many games could benefit from, in my opinion.

I've personally enjoyed both games tremendously, and Dead Space 2 in particular has some of the most intense sequences I've encountered in all my years of playing games. As with Doom3, after playing these kinds of games for a few hours or so, I tend to need a break because my nerves will be shot to hell.

Megalyth said:
There's no reason to get stuck in either game. There's a path-finder feature that projects your required path onto the floor in front of you, a feature that many games could benefit from, in my opinion

You have no idea how ironic it is reading something like that on these forums. :P

Pathfinder point is true, though. With its existence, getting stuck is only slightly harder to do than getting stuck in Call of Duty X.

Dead Space 1 is one hell of a modern console gem if you ask me. Great flow, great sci fi horror story, great bad guys, great guns, some good puzzles and fights. I loved the way the chapters were set up, each with a name corresponding to the events and or locations within. Try putting together the first letter of each chapter in order and see what you get. Spooky, eh? It was definitely one of my favorite games to come out in 2008.

Dead Space 2 was also a lot of fun. I know a lot of people would disagree with me on this, but I honestly would have preferred if they kept Issac Clarke as a silent protagonist. It just seems weird that after an entire game of silence, he decides to start talking. Also, some of the spooky "ooo--OOoOoo--oooOohh I'm Nicoooole!" stuff that haunts Issac in the sequel came across as kinda forced to me. It worked really well in the first game because there was that lingering wonder as to whether or not she was still alive. Oh, I was also disappointed that the chapters weren't named in DS2. It definitely went the path of "bigger budget, more explosions and craaazy shit!" sequel that often seems to happen.. but hey, that's expected. Still had a lot of fun with it. I haven't played it much online, though. Not really too interested in that.

Krispavera said:

Dead Space 2 was also a lot of fun. I know a lot of people would disagree with me on this, but I honestly would have preferred if they kept Issac Clarke as a silent protagonist. It just seems weird that after an entire game of silence, he decides to start talking. Also, some of the spooky "ooo--OOoOoo--oooOohh I'm Nicoooole!" stuff that haunts Issac in the sequel came across as kinda forced to me. It worked really well in the first game because there was that lingering wonder as to whether or not she was still alive.

I think they ruined isaac clarke in dead space 2.
In dead space the atmosphere was brilliant, you were isolated deep in space and it was really tense at times but then in dead space 2 your on this station near earth and all these people are still alive, it feels quite crowded and the necromorphs don't seem as scary or as deadly and you really don't feel as if you are truly on your own.

The next step of course, is to do a resident evil 5 and have some annoying as hell companion follow you round everywhere and suck all the remaining horror atmosphere out of the game which i can honestly see them doing in dead space 3.

Another issue, dead space 2 is much more linear, I liked in dead space going back and revisiting areas whereas theres none of that in dead space 2.

Foodles said:

Another issue, dead space 2 is much more linear, I liked in dead space going back and revisiting areas whereas theres none of that in dead space 2.

Yeah there is. You pass through the same rooms of the space station on various occasions. Both games are pretty linear in the sense that there's a direction that you're supposed to go in but revisiting areas in this way breaks it up.

**spoiler**

Also, the Ishimura level. Maybe you should of payed more attention ;):p

I heard people talking to this day about how good Dead Space 1 is. Dead Space 2's buzz wore off quick and the only real buzz is... multiplayer is unfair for the monsters (duh).

As for Dead Space... I've only seen the movies and the web comic thing. Web comic was awesome. THen they made it into a movie and it sucked. Then the 2nd movie was better, because they had 4 animation studios work on 1 project.

I could never really get into Dead Space... But it's not something I really fault the game for. I mean, when I was playing it, I very much was having a good time and everything, it was just that after I quit playing, I never really felt terribly compelled to go back to it. I definitely intend on going back to it one of these days and beating it, but I just have a short attention span.

I like the Dead Spaces. I don't find them all that scary (then again, there's not much that does so for me), but the atmosphere works great and the combat is fun as hell for some weird reason. I do kinda dislike how incredibly linear they are (DS1's "revisiting" areas doesn't really count as nonlinearity since you're still always following a straight line), but it's the gunplay that brings me back to them. Hooray wacky unconventional weaponry and limb-severing mechanics. ;)

And yeah, one serious bit of missed potential in DS2 was the hallucination sequences. It was always blatantly obvious when Isaac was imagining things (except for a single very-well-executed moment in the Ishimura revisit), and I keep thinking of how cool it would've been if it was done in such a way that the player is never sure of what's real and what's not. But then it'd be "ripping off" another horror series or two... :P

Xaser said:

It was always blatantly obvious when Isaac was imagining things

You mean the all stuff with faux-Nicole tormenting him? I liked all that.

Xaser said:

a single very-well-executed moment in the Ishimura revisit

Heh, I saw that coming and it still scared the bejesus out of me.

The problem with Dead Space was that the developers, for all the brilliant things the game brought to the table (and there were many), fell into the trap of making every scare extremely obvious.

Hear something down a hallway? Necromorph incoming.

See something over there? Necromorph incoming.

Music sting? Necromorph incoming.

Etc. It made every "scary" part really predictable outside of a few instances which were fucking genius (the ending cutscene, and the regenerator dude come to mind). Which really sucks because the sound design is one of the best I've ever heard. It's a really good game, but not too terribly frightening.

I haven't played DS2, but I really want to. I'll probably give a rental if I sign up for Gamefly.

ITT I get the feeling people have been playing different games to the ones I did :p

Every necromorph encounter wasn't preceded by a music sting or some other obvious indication at all. Some, sure. But not all. Maybe I'm just being pedantic over shit no one cares about.

dead space 2 is really fun to play. it was worth $50 for the pc version.

that's all i've got to say, really.

deference said:

dead space 2 is really fun to play. it was worth $50 for the pc version.

that's all i've got to say, really.

I waited 7 months so I can get the game at a reduced price on Steam at a decent $29.99 as opposed to $49-59.

Mike.Reiner said:

Both good games. I liked the first one more, but the second one was a lot of fun.

True zero-G was much better than in the first game which you were limited to walking or flying across a section.

Megalyth said:

There's no reason to get stuck in either game. There's a path-finder feature that projects your required path onto the floor in front of you, a feature that many games could benefit from, in my opinion.

Well, for whatever reason, it didn't help. It took a long time to get used to the controls, which felt extremely awkward. Everything felt so overwhelming, and I didn't feel that the path-finder helped, since I couldn't get past the first level even with a walkthrough. Maybe I'm just too oldschool! Or dumb.

I've only played partway through dead space 2, up to the point of when the regenerating necro keeps chasing you for aaages.. I had little ammo then but holy shit that part was insane, it really kept me on edge.

The first game was definitely something special, despite being newer than doom 3, I absolutely prefer it in my twisted mind as more of a 'doom 3' than what ID came up with, don't ask me why because words cannot explain that :|

Just beat the game and I thought it was fairly good. I'm pretty pissed off that I had to backtrack and buy the contact beam to beat the final boss though, since my upgraded weapons were taking forever to finish the job. I also found it hilarious that Isaac believed "Nicole" again and fell into a trap..again. Despite moments during the last few chapters (The final boss, the eye laser thing, etc), I felt that it held up to the first game's quality all the way through, even surpassing it at times.

Although to be honest I don't see much replay value here, so I'm glad I didn't buy it when it first came out.

RTC_Marine said:

I've only played partway through dead space 2, up to the point of when the regenerating necro keeps chasing you for aaages..

Well sure, they just copied what they dun in dead space, same with the ishimura "remake" where they just aaded some horrid new qurantine textures.

Also I don't remember revisiting any areas really, whereas in dead space there were like 2 different levels in the same part of the ship many times over (med bay, crew deck etc.). Its not that it was non linear but I liked that you revisited areas which had changed slightly and became more tense due to tougher enemies being present. But revisiting areas from dead space in dead space 2 seemed pretty lazy.

GoatLord said:

Well, for whatever reason, it didn't help. It took a long time to get used to the controls, which felt extremely awkward. Everything felt so overwhelming, and I didn't feel that the path-finder helped, since I couldn't get past the first level even with a walkthrough. Maybe I'm just too oldschool! Or dumb.

...it literally puts a line on the floor telling you exactly where to go... don't know what to tell you.

Mr. Chris said:

True zero-G was much better than in the first game which you were limited to walking or flying across a section.

Yeah, the zero-G was improved big time.