Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KiiiYiiiKiiiA

Doombuilder textures not lining up in PrBoom/ZDoom.

So here we have a shot taken in DB2.

The same shot taken in ZDoom. (The same thing happens in PrBoom also.)

Now here is the interesting thing that I noticed. This discrepancy between DB2 and ZDoom/PrBoom only happens when you set a negative x offset. If you set a positive x offset, everything lines up perfectly.

This happens with several other textures as well. This particular texture is 192x128 in size so it is not an irregular size, and neither are any of the other textures.

Any thoughts?

I've had something similar happen using zdbsp as the nodebuilder. This was ages ago however, pre-DB2.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

This particular texture is 192x128 in size so it is not an irregular size, and neither are any of the other textures.

Except it is irregular. Texture widths should always be a power of two, otherwise they get "rounded" down by the engine to the nearest power of two, 128 in your case. The remaining 64 pixels are being chopped off the texture (and apparently the X-offset affects which part is chopped off).

Also, if you're using the GZDoom Visual Mode plugin, texture alignment only works right for UDMF maps; so use the normal visual mode for Doom-format and Hexen-format maps.

I never had any problem with alignments with the GZDoom visual mode plugin only seems Mid-Texture offsets get a bit strange.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Yeah, the problem was the non-power-of-two thing. I always assumed that 64 was a kind of 'default' and any multiple of 64 should be ok too. Don't ask me where I got that idea, but when you are putting together textures it kinda makes sense to work in 64 unit increments. But apparently, texture lengths like 192 and 768, even though they are multiples of 64, they are sure not multiples of 2.

I fixed this up and it seems to be all fine 'n all. (I had a bunch of 768-length textures that I extended out to 1024 too.)