Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DeathevokatioN

Taking a screenshot and then setting it as an intermission pic

I keep trying to do this and it keeps coming up as a jumble of different colors. I also set the res at 320 x 200 so it's not that. Is there any specific fail proof way of doing it so that the colors don't get screwed up?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

You might be able to press the "print screen" button (depending on what program you are running doom with) to take the screen capture and then open a doom image with mspaint and then past your screen capture over that. That will keep the color pallet in tact and everything will be right with the world.

What I would do is this.

1. Take your screenshot (Probably make sure your in software mode)
2. Open your screenshot in a paint program and apply the Doom palette
(I like to use Jasc Paint Shop Pro for this you can just open any Doom Texture and save the palette then apply your palette to any image you want)
3. Save as PNG
4. Import into Slade and you shouldn't have any problems with it displaying correctly.

If your still having problems upload your image somewhere and I will gladly do the above steps and send it back to you.

Cheers

I've used NiuHaka's method in the past and it has worked fine. I should add that I used XWE to import the image. And yes, keep your game resolution as 320x200.

The method I mentioned takes the least amount of clicks and is extremely simple. And I use complicated paint programs and photo editing programs all day every day of my life... So yeah, pretty sure it doesn't get any more simple, especially if you are only creating a few images.

Some Windows systems seem to have trouble capturing shots of Doom with the standard PrintScreen + MSPaint method, at least on certain screen modes and/or with certain engines.

I know that trying to do so with Chocolate Doom or PrBoom at 320x200 results in a screenshot with a horribly garbled palette on my laptop, and trying to reverse the color corruption by manually editing the palette indices is an exercise in futility, because half of the garbled colors are usually the same shade of green or whatever.

Since this problem sounds sort of like what the OP was describing, I figured I'd mention how I get around it.

If you are using prt_screen instead of -devparam, then make sure your gamma is set to 1. I've fallen into this pithole myself, and with a different gamma the colors are different, even when applying the correct palette.

Also, if 320x200 is not available, then choose the highest available resolution and resize it to 320x200 with a picture program, using nearest neighbor.

Thanks for the responses guys. I tried to do that pasting a screenshot into paint and seeing if I could get it right, but it seems to not work, probably due to the reasoning that Mithran pointed out. And it seems I can't get SLADE 3 to run for some reason, so I rage quitted and sent Pottus a pm. :)

Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions and hopefully in the future when I have more patience I'll sit down and get basic stuff like this right. :)

DeathevokatioN said:

And it seems I can't get SLADE 3 to run for some reason

PROTIP: never download DLLs from various crappy sites.

tempun said:

PROTIP: never download DLLs from various crappy sites.

The vbrun DLLs it needs are on their site, you know

Pottus thanks alot. It works mate. You are awesome. :)

@Tempun, I downloaded it off their official website. The reason why I can't get it to work though is probably something that is my fault though.

Zom-B said:

The vbrun DLLs it needs are on their site, you know

SLADE 3 does not need any vbrun DLL, just so you know. Pretty much because it just happens not to be coded in Visual Basic, so it has no need for Visual Basic RUNtimes.

What it needs are MSVC runtimes instead. And they need to be installed properly by their installer; you can't just download some DLL file somewhere and extract them in the SLADE directory.