Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AirRaid

Speculation Central - Post your retarded theories about Doom 4 here!

Okay so on reflection, trying to tell people not to speculate about Doom 4 was kind of silly. It's gonna happen, but it might as well at least happen all in one festering pit. I mean thread. So here you go!

Post your random speculation about Doom 2 remakes/non reloading weapons/big tittied hellbitches in here.

This Thread will not be used as a source for any meaningful news or information. Assume before reading that anything in here is untrue/unconfirmed.

Go nuts! But as usual, don't be retarded. And the rest of the rules still apply.

Does that mean that I can repost my original speculation in this thread, AirRaid?

Okay.

Is it possible, just possible, that DOOM 4 is a direct sequel to DOOM 2? Based on what Tom Hollenshead said: "It's not a sequel to Doom 3, but it's not a reboot either. Doom 3 was sort of a reboot. It's a little bit different than those." Of course, Tom didn't answer the question whether the game was going to be a prequel, but that's beside the point. If it is not a sequel to DOOM 3, then the idea that it might be a sequel to DOOM 1 and 2 may not be ruled out. If the game were a remake of DOOM 2, that would classify it as a kind of reboot, and reboots are ruled out by Tom.

Could this speculation be valid?

Yeah actually i was going to merge your thread into here but it absolutely refused to work. Sorry :P

I bet each level will have some sort of subtle homage to the corresponding map from the original (Doom 1). But it'll be really subtle - like, caked in layers of modern-looking detail and visual greeble. And because the levels will naturally be huge, it will take a lot of scrutiny just to find that one section.

Yep. That's what I'm looking forward to. :P

Thanks AirRaid for trying. I really appreciate it. :)

Now, going on as to whether DOOM 4 might be a sequel to DOOM 2, what would the story be about? From what I can remember from DOOM 2's story, you wander throughout demon infested Earth, make your way to Hell through portals in the ground (a Hell more large and dangerous than the Hell you ventured through in DOOM 1's third episode, "Inferno."), only to destroy the Icon of Sin at the end. After the Icon is destroyed, what then? Will the player have to wander out of Hell, only to emerge in a still very Hellish Earth?

According to DOOM 2's story, the fleeing remnants of humanity left Earth on their UAC colony vessels. Might the game's story involve the vessels return to Earth, alongside hordes of stowaway demons?

As I said before, I hope the writing of DOOM 4 will be better than the writing of DOOM 3. The bosses should be original and impressive as well. If id managed to construct such a boss as the Icon of Sin, could there be greater demon beings even worse than than the Baphomet carving on the wall with a living brain. Remember how the Icon's face was on the walls in many DOOM levels, alongside the faces of other demons which were more alien looking? Could these other demons be the next threat to come in DOOM 4?

Well... id doesn't look back the designs of the past too much, and hasn't programmed a boss fight in the vein of the Icon of Sin, Cthon, or Shub-Niggurath for years. We'll have to find out what they've got planned.

I still excited by the prospect of a beefed-up classic Pinky Demon appearing in the RAGE engine.

Is there any other indication that it may not be a sequel to DOOM 2, besides my own speculation?

I'm pretty sure someone at id said it wouldn't be a direct sequel to any previous Doom game, or a remake. But I can't find the article I thought I read it in so I may have imagined it.

Jimmy91 said:

I bet each level will have some sort of subtle homage to the corresponding map from the original (Doom 1). But it'll be really subtle - like, caked in layers of modern-looking detail and visual greeble. And because the levels will naturally be huge, it will take a lot of scrutiny just to find that one section.

Yep. That's what I'm looking forward to. :P

There was an E1M1 homage in Doom 3, quite subtle, like you say. And a couple of other small callbacks, too.

Actually, someone at id only said that Doom 4 wasn't a sequel to Doom 3, and only Doom 3. The quote is on the Doom 4 wiki article, and I've quoted it myself too in my beginning posts.

If it isn't a sequel to Doom 3, or another Doom reboot (which remakes would classify under), then what would it be?

Remember, Hollenshead didn't say it wouldn't be a sequel to Doom 2. Only Doom 3 was ruled out (and Doom 3 doesnt count as sequel to the first two Dooms anyway.) If it isn't a remake, reboot, sequel to either Doom 2 or Doom 3, what is it? A prequel?

Come to think of it, Tom was asked if it might be a prequel, but he didn't answer that question either.

What's your speculation, AirRaid?

Maybe it's a DOOM 64 sequel. Find out what DOOMGuy's been up to while he's been self-imprisoned in Hell for fifteen years!

It's fairly obvious to me, at least, that Doom 4 won't be a sequel to Doom 3 in the sense that it won't feature the same player character or continue the story as it was left off.

It'll be a spiritual sequel in that it will continue the same themes established in the Doom 3 universe, but there will be a new player character and a new story. It could easily be a story or genre reboot, just not a thematic one.

This could be a Quake 2 situation, where they attached the familiar name to their new product because they knew it would sell. That wouldn't bother me because I don't want to play a Doom 3-style game that happens to be set on Earth. I'm sure most would agree.

Nah, I'm pretty sure they sat down and said "Right, let's make the next Doom game", not "Hey we have this idea for a game, lets paste some demons in and call it Doom".

Well, Doom 3 NEARLY felt that way at times. Even though I enjoyed the game (and its expansion pack), "the feels like Doom" to "doesn't feel like Doom" ratio was something like 3 to 7 if we're using base 10. Granted, updating a cartoonish looking 2.5D game requires a lot of artistic liberties, but the approach id took often felt very un-Doomy.

It has horns and goatlegs, it actually has eyes and looks like it has a brain in its head for two.

Edit: What I mean by having a brain in its head is that it actually looks like it knows what's going on around it instead of just being an instinct-driven ball of meat. (Pinky and Hellknight)

With Rage out, I think it's most likely that id will reveal Doom 4 shortly (maybe next year or so), but what do you predict Doom 4 is going to be like?

Well considering what id tech 5 engine is capable of and what it's built for, I think it's very most likely that Doom 4 will be a open world game like Rage except it would be like a Post Demon Invasion setting with small pockets of survivors fending off Demons and I can imagine that the world would look Hellish with fire & brimstone, red sky, demon structures, etc as if Hell is bleeding through the world like in the previous games (and especially demonstrated by KDIZD).

What do you predict it's going to be? I can easily see that this game is going to be Hellgate London meets Rage or something like that (which I have a feeling that Doom 4 is going to be a Doom II: Hell on Earth remake).

It would be like DOOM, but there will be a 4 at the end.

In all seriousness, I can't even imagine it. I've just been thinking of doom 3 tid bits whenever DOOM4 news is mentioned.

Like... a doom3 in a city enviroment. Thats literally it.

My predictions for DOOM 4 (based on RAGE).

- It'll have really good graphics but poor level design with lots of invisible walls and linearity. And pop-in due to Megatextures.
- It'll be about 20 hours too short.
- It'll be made for an XBOX 360 or PS3 and then ported to PC.
- It'll have a non-existent end boss fight and a cliffhanger ending.

Sorry to be negative, but after seeing RAGE and then reading interviews where Hollenshead and Carmack talk about the direction the company's going in, I can't help it.

For the record, I hope I'm proven wrong on all these points.

The pop in, while a little annoying, isn't nearly so bad for me at least as everyone else says it is. IMO Bioshock on the 360 had some of the worst texture pop in I've seen in any game.

I would like to see something new and different. I like the classic Doom games, and I like Doom 3, but the whole "hell-invaded planet/moon tech base" thing is a bit over-done. Doom 3 was very attractive and far more detailed in its portrayal of the Mars City, but it was mostly tech base stuff (save for the dig sites and Hell). I want to play Doom 4 and be surprised by...something, something unexpected.

I would like to see some new monsters again, as Doom 3 did a pretty good job throwing some new enemies into the mix (although, I hated the Cherubs and Trites...). But I still want to see at least some of the classic Doom monsters still making an appearance (i.e. Arch-Vile, Revenant, Imp, Mancubus, etc.) And even though some new weapons would be nice, there still has to be some of the classic Doom ones (BFG, chainsaw).

Vordakk said:

My predictions for DOOM 4 (based on RAGE).
- It'll be about 20 hours too short.

Sorry to be negative, but after seeing RAGE ...

I really hate how people are bitching on Rage for being too short.

Yes, it was clearly cut shorter than was originally designed, but it's still a good 15 hour campaign. Maybe a bit less if you rush through it.

Considering a 5 hour campaign is considered acceptable nowadays, Rage is not short at all.

I still think it'll continue the story of DOOM II: HELL ON EARTH, and bring back the designs of the original monsters.

(Remember, the possibility of a sequel had only been ruled out for DOOM 3, not DOOM 2, so my theory might have some ground).

By the way, are snapshots and trailers of DOOM 4 supposed to be released to the public by now?

DeimosKnight said:

By the way, are snapshots and trailers of DOOM 4 supposed to be released to the public by now?

Apparently not.

Marnetmar said:

I hope they bring back good ol' Birdy. He was much more demonic looking than what ended up in the actual game.

I dunno... Looking at him now, his head looks more goofy than scary IMHO, maybe that was why id changed his design? *shrug*

HavoX said:

I dunno... Looking at him now, his head looks more goofy than scary IMHO, maybe that was why id changed his design? *shrug*

I've said it before, but let's say you went out for a night of drinking. The next morning you wake up with a wedding ring on your finger and a new family member next to you.

Would you be more terrified if you saw that thing grinning in your face or a gray, eyeless gorilla that doesn't seem to be self aware?

The "on Earth" idea is still my preference, and seems to have some creedence here, but I believe it would have to be an Earth which still resembles how it looks today, not a neo-city space-base-with-a-sky setting. Of course, blue skies would be out of place, but if half the planet was burning then it would all be overcast in smoke, lending a gloomier atmosphere. Imagine supermarkets, libraries, homes, churches, all filled to the brim with Doom monsters. That's what I want.

I think, DOOM 4 will most likely tell us what happened after DOOM 2.

It'll be a true sequel.

They might mix the classic DOOM designs with DOOM 3 designs. If your thinking something along the lines of Classic DOOM 3 then your right. At least in that sort of sense... that feel.

It will most likely be like Classic DOOM 3 but it'll be an entire remake of DOOM 2.

Here's my predictions

Episode 1: Thy Flesh Consumed

Episode 2: Hell on Earth

Episode 3: Blood and Lava

Episode 4: Mars...

That's what I think. Maybe the 4th episode will be different but I don't really know.