Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

Quake or Doom: Which was better and why

With people building up to Rage and Doom 4. I've been wondering if more technology makes games worse. People didn't like Doom 3 compared to Doom 1 & 2. But what about Quake vs Doom 1 or 2? In your opinions how do the two games stack up?

Just wondering and yes I know this is a Doom forum.

I think movement in Quake is funny and it's also not as fun to shoot monsters as they just stand there and keel over when you've hit them enough times. Other than that it's pretty good, though I do prefer Doom.

I think saying technology makes games worse is silly. You could look at a bad game from before Doom and say the opposite.

If anything, Quake eerily hinted at how FPS were to evolve from then on: no more easily disposable enemy hordes to face with overwhelming firepower and mobility, but instead, fighting individually tougher enemies with less mobility and much more modest firepower, resulting in a totally different kind of gameplay.

Quake: Boring weapons, meh graphics, boring and/or annoying enemies (fiends, zombies), slower gameplay than Doom.

Yeah, Quake was a doo-doo.

Quake wins for me. I love the atmosphere, the enemies were creepy, weapons were cool, nostalgic, over-all a good game. Doom is a close 2nd for me.

I loved quake (I loved Quake 2 on N64 even more though, I reckon it was a much better improvement on the first) but still, you can't really compare Quake to Doom, they're extremely different despite being FPS-orientated. I'd say they both are class in their own category, but I prefer Doom for its versatile and challenging gameplay.

I remember beating Quake 2 on N64 daily. I also remember my friend's little brother and his 2 friends playing against me in deathmatch 3 on 1... and I still won... because there's a 10 year age gap :-)

Maes said:

If anything, Quake eerily hinted at how FPS were to evolve from then on...

BROWN

Yeah everything is brown now. Chances are everything is brown so enemies stand out.

Maes said:

If anything, Quake eerily hinted at how FPS were to evolve from then on: no more easily disposable enemy hordes to face with overwhelming firepower and mobility, but instead, fighting individually tougher enemies with less mobility and much more modest firepower, resulting in a totally different kind of gameplay.

anyway, quake is still very old school compared to these modern, realistic games:

max run

speed run

i watched them several times.

i find old school gameplay more enjoyable, since being a superfast demigod gives one a better sense of control than being a slow, vulnerable human who can get killed by the first enemy he runs into.

of course, it's amazing to see the player tear through enemies like a hot knife through butter, especially while under quad power. these quad runs are by far the gameplay element of quake i like best, when every shot sends gibs flying. i had a lot of savegames in my quake directory right in front of a quad, so i could pick it up and go on a rampage. quake might have less firepower than doom, but there's at least one quad in pretty much every map.

i'd like to see this powerup included in some more doom maps, perhaps along with gibbing animations for stronger enemies. blowing a manc to chunks of fat in one ssg shot would be hilarious.

also, i like quake's art, its textures and sounds, in the original game or used in doom maps. yes, it's mostly ugly shades of brown, like there was a tax on colors, as some reviewer said when quake came out, but it's what made the game creepy, together with its use of light and shadows. it's a strange, nightmarish style, different from the classic doom hell.

weapons are not exactly balanced or imaginative, especially the shotguns, compared to doom's, and some enemies are just annoying cannon fodder (zombies, knights), however i like the shambler and the fiend, isn't there still a version of them for doom?

great things two games have in common: the possibility of speedruns and coop, something so lacking in most modern games.

I think Quake is a little overrated. I thought the levels were boring, the weapons didn't have much satisfaction, the enemies were boring, the final boss was too easy (though to be fair, this can be said of pretty much all of id's games), and it really wasn't very interesting. I think it's one of id's weaker games, and that Quake 2 was an improvement.

I think my favorite thing about Quake is the soundfx. Could you imagine if Quake used sounds from a sound library?

I'm watching the Quake video now and someone was right... BROWN. Wow this is devoid of life. Just because of the meh textures. Thank god it had modern weapons otherwise I'd really be asleep seeing swords.

I like Quake and Doom rather evenly. They both have their pros and cons, and that's alright. Plus I've used both games in rounds of School Deathmatch with my friends. Even though they would probably say Quake is better, partly due to E1's final and secret levels and the rocket launcher.

Question... so I heard Half Life 1 uses the Quake engine... but a lot of games use Half Life 2's engine. Does this mean Half Life 2's engine is a modified Quake engine or is HL2's engine from scratch?

I love both but Doom wins in my mind for sheer enemy and weapon variety. Quake had some great visuals and atmosphere, but Doom pushes most of the right buttons for me.

That said, I dream some day that the more interesting Quake monsters (Fiend, Scrag, Ogre, Vore, Shambler) get a sprite treatment similar to the Doom style so we can have a bigger, uglier happy family of monsters. Hell, maybe even the Spawn.

Totally agree with exploding enemies though. Wiping out shit with the Quad Damage is always great.

I think the original quake in its day was just as atmospheric and scary as Doom. In fact, as far as surreal, immersive levels go, quake and Doom together are the only games that comes close. Everything else is either mirroring our own world, (CoD anyone?), or a predictably generic futuristic setting. (Halo anyone?)

Say what you will about either of these games, I challenge anyone to find more surreal, unique and immersive settings and enemies.

I think quake is scarier and more atmospheric, but I would have to choose Doom just because of the sheer replayability given by the six quintillion user made levels.

Torr Samaho said:

Speedrun

I just watched that speedrun again, thanks for posting. Tho I have seen it a number of times before, it always blows me away to watch. Insane skills to pull off some of those shortcuts.

And yes, quad damage in Doom is awesome.

I pretty much agree with the others that have said Quake is a great game, but prefer Doom. I think I am just glad that it spawned such an awesome community.

I feel like people are a bit too harsh on Quake's visual style. Yes, the palette may be more limited than Doom's, but the textures really do a good job of characterizing a variety of malevolent, alien universes.

Where Quake really falls down is in the primitive 3D models used for its enemies. The environments themselves looked incredible even in the original id maps (or at least Romero's, Willits's and McGee's maps). You can see this difference between monsters and environments even in much more recent fan-created content like the Quoth packs, where the new textures and the maps made with them are gorgeous and surreal, but the animation and skinning of the new enemies looks ugly, to the point where I assume it's just a limitation of the engine. Also, for reasons others have mentioned, I like the gameplay of Doom a lot better than Quake. It's not even the number of monsters on screen; it just feels more visceral and satisfying to shoot something in Doom and have it bleed and fall over than to pump ammo into a Quake monster while it wobbles around like a doll stuffed with Jell-O.

But even with all that, I love the idea of the original Quake. It's the other, Lovecraftian side of the coin to Doom's more traditional Hell. Sometimes I want to have my little marine take on hellfire, damnation and torture, other times I want him to be catapulted into worlds so old and eldritch that they have no use for human sanity.

It's just a shame that Quake isn't getting remade. Everyone remembers Quake 2 fondly because it had better/more varied multiplayer, I guess, but artistically it doesn't stand out as much from the crowd of other sci-fi/military shooters. Quake 4 should have been based on the original Quake, not 2.

Doom is great for its speed and balance, colorful and comicy style, easy accessability. Quake is great for the chunky 3D environments, lighting, and atmosphere. I like both, maybe Doom a little better thanks to all the community work, though I've mapped more for Quake.

Also, partyability.

DOOM 2 really. Here's why:

1) More varied palette
2) More music and customizable
3) Actual boss monsters
4) More monsters
5) -respawn parameter, archviles
6) Mass destruction weapon available
7) Better overall weapon balance
8) Easier to map (or I didn't find the proper Quake editing tools yet.) POSSIBLY THIS TOO: no horrendous compiling waiting times like with Quake.

printz said:

DOOM 2 really. Here's why:

3) Actual boss monsters

But quake had good boss monsters too! Why, there's that boss situated between the two lightning charge things, and there's the boss that you can instafrag, and, oh, um. Yes, I see.

At least they had really good names. Cthon and Shub Niggurath or something close to that.

Seriously, quake is aesome, but the boss monsters were not as epic as the rest of the game.