Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geo

Quake or Doom: Which was better and why

I feel like Quake didn't really take advantage of the fact that it was 3D. It seems like multitiered environments aren't explored to their fullest. It also wouldn't have hurt to design a handful of mildly representational environments, instead of relying almost entirely on abstraction.

I've been playing a bit of Quake and... It's great. It's pretty much DOOM but with a more medieval, gritty, dark feeling to It, I love It. Also have to note that It's faster-pace too, It can't beat DOOM. But... Wow, pretty amazing so far.

As for Quake II, I like It, but not as much as Quake 1. It feels too generic, expect for the N64 version. It's a little more darker than the PC.

It's possible that Quake 2 is darker than it was on PC? You fucking what mate?

Da Werecat said:

And uhhhhhh where exactly did you see the traces of id Tech 5's alleged shittines in Doom 3 BFG Edition?

The game actually looks worse with lower texture quality, bad lighting effects, nausea inducing camera most likely caused by a low FOV, uglier character models (just look at Kelly, jesus christ) plus it runs like complete ass if you're unfortunate enough to have bought an AMD card.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

ID Tech 5 doesn't change anything in id tech 4 except some visuals, and by the way what's wrong with Id tech 4 ? Netcode ? Familiar .

I never said anything bad about id Tech 4. 4 is fine. 5 is the one I don't like. It was also built from the ground up instead of just being an enhanced version of 4, so it's very different when you actually look under the hood, which is the main reason why BFG edition had no modding support.

SavageCorona said:

lower texture quality

Texture compression methods have nothing to do with the engine.

SavageCorona said:

bad lighting effects

The game is less dark, which (arguably) looks worse, and there were some shadows missing in the initial release, but all of this has nothing to do with the engine.

SavageCorona said:

nausea inducing camera most likely caused by a low FOV

FOV has nothing to do with the engine. Easily adjustable.

SavageCorona said:

uglier character models

Character models have nothing to do with the engine.

SavageCorona said:

it runs like complete ass if you're unfortunate enough to have bought an AMD card

I have an old laptop with a Radeon GPU, and the game runs better than the original version. What am I doing wrong?

I still find Quake 2 better than Quake 1, Quake 1 feels all over the place with its design and feels much more repetitive than Quake 2 as far as gameplay is concerned.

Da Werecat said:

FOV has nothing to do with the engine. Easily adjustable.

Point me to the menu that lets me change the FOV or enable the console to change it manually and I'll agree with you on that. I actually uninstalled the game because it forced me to play at 60 degrees. Speaking of which, it cleared up about 20gb on my hard drive due to the horrific way the engine handled texture compression around the time it came out.

I don't remember how to enable the console, but it's unnecessary, because the patched version allows you to adjust the FOV from the menu. It also adds a few other options, such as flashlight shadows.

Bearing in mind I played it 3 years ago so you can probably see where my dislike for it comes from. I still much prefer the original Doom 3 once I've hacked the config to run it at 1080p.

Not the Quake for DOSBox, although it should since the wiki mentions soundtrack but I don't hear anything.

Steam actually just uses the exact same version as installing it off a disk, which doesn't actually install any music since you're supposed to keep the disk in and it plays the music off the disk. The Ultimate Quake Patch rectifies this issue as well as runs the game in Darkplaces, a far superior engine for playing on Windows. There is a similar patch for Quake 2 which does basically the same thing.

Quake music is AWESOME. Beautifully creepy and anxiety inducing soundscapes that make you feel the dread. /team_reznor

Well, a homebrew port of Quake for the Wii let you aim the gun independent of where you were facing. So of course I just abused that feature to hold the gun upside down like a twat, that's a point in its favor in my mind.

Avoozl said:

I still find Quake 2 better than Quake 1, Quake 1 feels all over the place with its design and feels much more repetitive than Quake 2 as far as gameplay is concerned.

Probably because it was intended as a medieval rpg but they decided half way in to make it a shooter. Which is why it's in a medieval fantasy setting while having you play as a futuristic space marine.