Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Joshy

Weird actor->movedir! Error [SOLVED]

I'm making this vanilla map and when I go to a certain room, it crashes (even with chocorenderlimits), and this error message 'Weird actor->movedir!' popped up.

I checked out doomwiki, and it means: An enemy has attempted to move in an undefined direction. This error should never occur.

I'm not sure what this is suppose to mean. The monster is placed in an awkward position or something? The room itself is rather big, and has more than 100 monsters packed in. Can anyone clarify this error for me?

Thanks.

There's probably some type of overflow, such as an intercepts overflow, taking place, which like deference suggested, is corrupting memory. mobj_t::movedir controls what direction a monster is moving in, and it normally can have only one of 8 directional values or can be DI_NODIR in some circumstances to indicate a lack of decision.

For this error to occur, that structure member had to be set to some value that is not an intentional possibility.

I'm trying to fix it but it won't work, it's darn frustrating. I'm no good with all the technical what-have-you, I'm only aware of the vanilla limitations like VPOs and segs.

I retraced the whole thing sector by sector and all that and it still crashes mysteriously, without any error messages popping up and I cannot think of any reason how it all started. :-/ Would you have a look at the map for me Quasar?

Can i have a look at the map? I have some knowledge of the doom source and i might be able to find the bug causing this.

Zom-B said:

Can i have a look at the map? I have some knowledge of the doom source and i might be able to find the bug causing this.

I hate to come off as rude but the map cannot be revealed to anyone. Sorry :3.

I always wondered why it is that people 'can't' show their wads (as oppsed to 'won't')

There isn't really anything to wonder. I am under oath with this certain map. If I was creating something entirely on my own, I would happily upload the map onto here for public troubleshooting.

Problem solved. It was some sort of bad blockmap. I couldn't build anything up beyond a point, otherwise it'd crash.

Yes, blockmaps may at most contain ~250000 entries (about 1 billion square units, or a 32000x32000 map)

If it exceeds that, the node builder, not the game, should give an error or crash. I don't know what it has to do with invalid actor movement.

if run anyway, I get other crashes and errors with vanilla and different sourceports.