Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Face23785

playing PSX Doom on computer

I have read about this on here before but damned if I can find it. Searching the forums is hard because no matter what you put in you get tons of results.

Anyway, I'm looking for a conversion of the psx Doom and Final Doom to pc that has the original music/ambience and everything. Has this been made? I swear I remember reading about a project to do it a while back. Appreciate any help, I dug those versions of the game and would like to play them again.

I don't think there is. But if you like Doom 64( the one on nintendo 64) you can use "Doom 64: Absolution" or "Doom 64 EX", all by Kaiser.

C30N9 said:

I don't think there is. But if you like Doom 64( the one on nintendo 64) you can use "Doom 64: Absolution" or "Doom 64 EX", all by Kaiser.

I'm all over Kaiser's D64 work. It is my favorite version of Doom.

I do not condone pirating but if you own a copy of the original disc you can legally download a PSX emulator and play the game on pc directly - no adaption/total conversion necessary.

InvertCube said:

I do not condone pirating but if you own a copy of the original disc you can legally download a PSX emulator and play the game on pc directly - no adaption/total conversion necessary.

Well I do own the game but after years of playing on a computer I just can't play it on the psx. It feels so unnatural and awkward to not be able to look with the mouse that I dont think I'll ever get used to it. I just cant play it like that, that's why I'm looking for a TC to a modern source port.

InvertCube said:

Nope.

I own legal copies both PSX Doom and PSX Final Doom, and I once tried to play them on my PC for fun but the games don't work with emulators. For some reason the game doesn't render/draw any textures while running on a emulator. This means that the only a playstation console can run the games.

There is a TC for PSX Doom however, and its really well made. I have played it a number of times (playing the original PSX version on a actual playstation is still fun, but I hate the fucking password system). There is no PC TC for the PSX Final Doom, but PSX Final Doom sucks balls anyways.

hardcore_gamer said:
I once tried to play them on my PC for fun but the games don't work with emulators.[/B]

They work perfectly with ePSXe. It's possible to use the mouse, too. I remember there was a thread somewhere here teaching how to set it up.

Anonymous3000 said:

They work perfectly with ePSXe.

Do you know that for a fact or is it just something that you heard? Because I spent hours trying to get the damn things to work properly.

Note that just because a game runs that doesn't mean it works. PSX Doom did run on the emulators I used, its just that like I mentioned earlier the game engine somehow doesn't render things like textures basically making the game unplayable. I do actually remember this once where I did get the textures to render though, but even then the sounds was garbled and everything was slow and buggy as hell. I gave up.

That said, if anyone does indeed know how to get PSX Doom to run via emulator then I would be more then happy to learn how.

EDIT: Actually, never mind. If I want to play PSX Doom on my PC I can just use the PSX Doom TC, and PSX Final Doom is crap anyways so I don't care if I won't be able to play it on the PC.

hardcore_gamer said:

Do you know that for a fact or is it just something that you heard?

It's a fact 'cause I have played both PSX Doom and PSX Final Doom on it and I finished them twice. The rendering is perfect. I used another emulator (I forgot its name) before and the walls were invisible, so I know what you mean. But ePSXe is perfect, really, and it doesn't lag at all, the gameplay is smooth.
Here comes the link if you wanna download it:

http://www.emulator-zone.com/download.php/emulators/psx/epsxe/epsxe170.zip

Anonymous3000 said:

It's a fact 'cause I have played both PSX Doom and PSX Final Doom on it and I finished them twice. The rendering is perfect. I used another emulator (I forgot its name) before and the walls were invisible, so I know what you mean. But ePSXe is perfect, really, and it doesn't lag at all, the gameplay is smooth.
Here comes the link if you wanna download it:

http://www.emulator-zone.com/download.php/emulators/psx/epsxe/epsxe170.zip

Ok, I will give it a try. But first I need to know something.

How did you load the game into the editor? Is it enough to just put the discs straight into the drive or do I have to rip them into Iso's or something?

And do I have to use certain settings with the emulator or will it just run right away?

EDIT: I tried using the emulator. Still just the same bullshit as usual with the game not starting at all. Perhaps you can tell me exactly what plugins you are using?

EDIT: Actually, I did get the game working at last. However the game speed is a bit uneven and sometimes it speeds up a bit. I don't know if this is normal.

Your cacodemon is green...

Yeah I did get the TC so I'll go for that. Thanks for the help. I know its on the forums elsewhere but I suck at searching.

Yeah the music is half the reason I wanna play it. I like the ambience and creepy atmosphere of doom more than the "hey look at me mom I listen to metal and kill stuff" vibe that some people seem to live and die for. I guess that's why I liked Doom 3, and they all hated it.

Its fine if you like it because you like it, not because you're stuck in the 90s as a 14yo and still think you're "bad"

_bruce_ said:

PSX Doom runs on versions of epsx 1.7.0 and upwards. Older versions had gfx glitches.

I don't think it is as simple as that. I have never been able to get PSX Doom to run properly on a emulator before. I got it to work this time by downloading new plugins for it.

By the way, there appears to be an awesome custom driver for PS3 controllers out there in the internet (I am using one right now to play PSX Doom) that allow you to use your PS3 controller on your Windows pc.

Anyone who wants to play PSX Doom on a real playstation controller should check it out:

http://www.hardcoreware.net/how-to-playstation-3-controller-64-bit-windows-7-vista/

The tutorial is a little bit outdated, but I still got it to work just fine.

Face23785 said:

Its fine if you like it because you like it, not because you're stuck in the 90s as a 14yo and still think you're "bad"

Remember, also, that the main Doom games, when compared to the Final Doom package, are different animals. Doom & Doom II takes more of a "Yeah! Fuck shit up, dude! But dude..." angle. Whereas Final Doom was a stranger dose of Hell from the norm. As I mentioned in another thread, the story (and general make-up) of the game came off pretty abstruse. Chilling in a way.

Granted, Final Doom was not at all developed in the same mind nor place as its predecessors.

I think Final Doom does best with unsettling ambiance. But FUCK ME if I'm trading the original Doom MIDI riffs for anything. Fuck that.