Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NiTROACTiVE

Making An Custom WAD for Chex Quest 2

I have plans for a sequel to Nitro's Chex Quest, but I need help making the WAD work.

I made a test wad and I tried to load it with the Chex Quest 2 WAD (CHEX.WAD). I named the test WAD "c2test.wad", but when I try to load it with the CHEX2.WAD in DOSBox by typing "chex2 -file c2test.wad", it loads CHEX2.WAD, but it doesn't load the custom test WAD because I can tell by it not loading the custom E1M1 map I made for the test WAD.

So then I used Slade3 to copy the Chex Quest 2 files to the c2test.wad, then I typed chex -file c2test.wad. I saw the Chex Quest 2 title screen and it looked like it was going good, but when I selected a diffuculty, the game crashed and gave me the error "W_CacheLumpNum: 1837116 >= numlumps".

So can anyone help me solve this problem so I can make Nitro's Chex Quest 2 sometime in the future?

I thought CQ2 was an addon to CQ1, not an IWAD.

As is my understanding, CQ2 featured it's own exe, though it only featured a couple of very slight differences to CQ1 (the Barron mobj could move for instance).

Unfortunetely, all the versions of CQ2 out there on the internet, packaged CQ2's wad with CQ1 and it's exe.

I haven't looked into this myself though.

^
Indeed. This is my experience too. Maybe it would be easier to just bite the bullet and use the Chex 3 release? After all, it is the last (pseudo) official release anyway. I understand you want to make vanilla stuff but I reckon Chex 3 is pretty much counted as vanilla these days. I, at least, think of it as just another iteration... To compare to Doom it's not like someone will make a Doom wad that's only compatible with Doom 1.666 any more. Hope this doesn't come across as trolling. I just thought I'd mention an alternative if you can't suss Chex 2. :)

There is this DeHackEd patch that faithfully mimics the behavior of chex.exe:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=15420

I don't know if the exe in CQ2 was different (I'm guessing it's not), but testing with the DEH patch might clear things up. Also you could compared the MD5 or CRC checksums of both exe files (there is a risk of false positive though, since they may have simply recompiled the binary and linked against new libraries, or simply used different compiler version).

I think CQ3 was really a ZDoom mod though, instead of vanilla Doom. Either that or it was for Win32 only. Either way, I couldn't run it.

hex11 said:

I don't know if the exe in CQ2 was different (I'm guessing it's not)

But it is:

Vermil said:

As is my understanding, CQ2 featured its own exe, though it only featured a couple of very slight differences to CQ1 (the Barron mobj could move for instance).

hex11 said:

I think CQ3 was really a ZDoom mod though, instead of vanilla Doom. Either that or it was for Win32 only. Either way, I couldn't run it.

CQ3 is a standalone ZDoom game, yeah. It is distributed with a Win32 exe; but ZDoom can also be compiled for Linux and MacOS.

Note that CQ has never been vanilla Doom anyway -- even with the dehacked patch, there are a few differences between chex.exe and doom.exe; as explained in the patch's text file. One should think of CQ3 as being vanilla CQ3; rather than it being modded Doom.

Gez said:

Note that CQ has never been vanilla Doom anyway -- even with the dehacked patch, there are a few differences between chex.exe and doom.exe; as explained in the patch's text file. One should think of CQ3 as being vanilla CQ3; rather than it being modded Doom.

I've noticed some confusion amongst even posters in actual Chex Quest forums, for whom the term "vanilla" is quite nebulous until further probing and research is done:
http://www.chexquest.org/index.php?topic=3252.0

Ideally "vanilla" would refer only to the actual doom.exe, and nothing else. It might be acceptable to stretch this a bit and call the original Chex Quest mod "vanilla chex" (not just "vanilla"), since it's derived from doom.exe, but ZDoom and other advanced ports are a whole different ball game. Chex 3 should probably be refered to as "advanced chex" or "ZChex", or something more obvious that makes the distinction very clear.

Btw, the DEH patch might not be 100% accurate for all source ports, but it includes this note:

The latest version of Chocolate Doom has been extended to include a mode which applies these changes.

So you can presumably play an accurate Chex Quest game in Chocolate Doom, which should run on any platform that SDL was ported to (a whole lot of architecture and OS combinations).

It would be nice if someone updates the DEH patch (maybe in the form of a chex2.deh with the additional params) to include the small changes made in Chex 2. :)

Mostly, they're being influenced by Doom's nomenclature. CQ3 never was a Doom mod, so vanilla CQ3 is CQ3 as distributed. A modification of CQ3 to run as a Doom mod on vanilla Doom wouldn't be vanilla CQ3. :p

Vanilla is necessarily a confusing concept, because it's very vague. The Doom community, at least around the Doomworld forum and Doom wiki, have come up with a definition that is both stricter and broader than its usage in other communities. Here, vanilla means "original Doom engine, doom2.exe v1.9 unless otherwise stated". Playing with a different engine is not vanilla. However, playing new or modified content is still vanilla. Batman Doom in DOSBox is vanilla despite the entirely new content and the extensive dehacking going on; Knee-Deep in the Dead with Doomsday isn't vanilla even though the levels are unchanged.

The thing is, though, that CQ3 is a standalone game based on a modified version of the Doom engine; much like Heretic, Hexen or Strife are. It's not a Doom TC; it's its own thing instead. I don't see any reason to call Chex Quest 3 anything else but Chex Quest 3, or an abbreviation of that. Sticking a letter or an epithet wouldn't make things clearer, much to the contrary: I can already see the threads with people asking where to download that "Advanced ZChex" mod they've heard people talking about.