Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Katamori

Skulltag vs. ZDaemon?

If you want to play in multiplayer mode, what's the better?

Personally, my choose is Skulltag, because comfortable and contains that amazing Invasion mode.

And what's your opinion?

I play where the players are, so I have all three (+Odamex) installed. The two clients I fire up the most are Skulltag and Odamex, but that's only because I'm not really cut out for the IDL, skill-wise.

I choose Odamex and it has nothing to do with my involvement in the project (ok, maybe a little)! The reasons I prefer Odamex over the other two engines are simple:

-I love the classic Doom feel that neither ZDaemon nor Skulltag offer.
-I love that I can play a game with physics equivalent to either Doom2.exe or ZDaemon CTF with just a few cvar switches.
-I love what I feel to be superior netcode to the other engines .
-I love the project's open nature.
-I love that server administrators and players actually have the ability to control the community how they see fit instead of being dictated to by an "administration".
-I love the "growing" nature of the project, where you can watch daily as certain aspects of the engine continue to grow right before your eyes if you so choose. You won't ever have to wait five years wondering if any work has actually been done on the engine!

I am disheartened that you did not include Odamex in your matchup, but I am confident and hopeful that you will at least give it a shot in the near future. I encourage you to join the Odamex Nitro event this coming Saturday, August 20th and get a chance to play in some larger games. If you are truly a fan of Doom multiplayer, I am reasonably sure that you will not be disappointed. :)

Between these two, I'd choose Skulltag. But neither of them have a community that makes me want to play Doom online...

Other than Odamex, I'd advise people to keep an eye out for the completion of Eternity's client/server branch. Ladna has interesting plans for it.

I'll close this, as it would inevitably become a shitstorm.

If you want to make comparisons between ports, please identify some more specific features or capabilities that you wish to compare, not just "which is better".