Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheEndOfUs

Carmack: Doom 4 is so big it may not fit on PS3 Bluray Discs

http://www.hookedgamers.com/blogs/chrispriestman/2011/08/14/carmack_doom_4_is_so_big_it_may_not_fit_on_ps3_bluray_discs.html

I wonder how long it will take. Id have said that D4 will not take as long as Rage did, since the engine is done & the Rage team will move over to the Doom team as soon as Rage ships...

However, from the article: "we may have to wait for Doom 4 on the next-gen of consoles as they will presumably use discs with a much bigger storage". That was probably just speculation, but it would sure as hell suck if Doom 4 was pushed back because of current consoles & their storage issues?

"...We may have to wait for Doom 4 on the next-gen of consoles..."

This quote worries me. While the current-gen consoles have been around at least five years, there's enough hardware power for them to stay relevant for awhile, probably past Doom 4's release. I would be a bit surprised if by next year, a new Playstation or X-Box were on the market. Notice I didn't mention Nintendo, because they have been so haphazard with the way they handle hardware that I don't expect their next system to even be able to handle Doom 4's graphics.

Yeah, exactly. I dont mind swapping discs, as long as I dont have to do it every 30 mins. Some blurry textures here & there doesnt matter either, gonna get it for PC later. I say bring it on, Doom is mainly PC material anyway... or used to be.

TheEndOfUs said:

Yeah, exactly. I dont mind swapping discs, as long as I dont have to do it every 30 mins. Some blurry textures here & there doesnt matter either, gonna get it for PC later.

All of that does bother me a lot. I really hate the swapping discs part, but it won't be a problem if Doom 4 happens to use BD-ROM and the Id guys become more sensible with resource usage... And I won't want blurry textures, they make me feel like needing glasses and would look dated for such a modern game.

Anyone else see the same hype/megalomania as with Doom 3 here?

Sure, most people wouldnt want those things in a game. Rage has got like 2 discs, I think, on the 360, which is acceptable... But something like 6 discs or more is just wrong for Doom 4. Doom 3 has a lot of blurry textures, but I love it still. Anway, rushing the game would be bad, but Id software isnt exactly the fastest developer around.

I hope Doom 4 does not become like Duke Nukem Forever, it was alright but when the game creators said it had so much content and was a very long game it was a lie. I do have faith with ID though since they didn't seem to be following the new game trend of throwing games together, it seemed that way with Duke Forever like they did everything fast once they got the game title to make quick bucks, ID won't want to do that so much as what 3D Realms did.

printz said:

Anyone else see the same hype/megalomania as with Doom 3 here?

No, actually I don't. And I'm quite enthusiastic. I hope they don't tell us anything and then suddenly release it outta nowhere at the end of next year.

Dark27 said:

I hope Doom 4 does not become like Duke Nukem Forever, it was alright but when the game creators said it had so much content and was a very long game it was a lie.

Have no fear. That game was cursed from the start anyway. The Id guys always put out highly polished, quality games. Even tough the gameplay is not everyones cup of tea, but that may change with Rage.

TheEndOfUs said:

Doom 3 has a lot of blurry textures, but I love it still.

Blurry textures? Where? I don't remember seeing anything all that blurry even in the xbox port. Well, magazines and cans, sure, but I don't think that'd count as "a lot".

If Doom 4 might have to wait for the next gen of consoles, why not just... release it for PC and make the console players wait til their systems update to something more suitable? I mean, the extra time between Doom 3's release and its xbox port didn't really hurt the game. Then again with Tim Pants-On-Head Willits on-board, maybe they really are focusing more on consoles than PC.

Xeros612 said:

Blurry textures? Where? I don't remember seeing anything all that blurry even in the xbox port. Well, magazines and cans, sure, but I don't think that'd count as "a lot".

Its "a lot", but its not too insane, cause you dont notice it at a distance, or the bad textures are more hidden. Its just that the texture quality varies a lot. For example: Some of the computer screens (not the interactive ones) are very high-res, others are low-res & blurry. You can see where they wanted to make an impression, like the beginning of the game, spectacular machinery, the level "hubs", key-places etc... While other places & details are more lacking, but not bad by any means. This is normal in most games, you cant go too crazy with resources

I didn't find textures at all bad, just audio was ripped very low quality on a lot of sounds, mostly background music and noises. The graphics were really good some mentioned modeling was a bit blocky but this game was advanced for when it came out, lighting and atmosphere, and Doom 4 probably will be on every system, advanced. You remember the beta that blew away everyone, man Doom4 I hope will bring us back to that time being cutting edge even if it's huge it's worth it.

Here's a fuckin guy who doesn't care if it comes with a dozen disks, because I'm gonna be installin it on my computer. I'm with the crowd who doesn't think quality should be sacrificed just to let the consoles keep up. Changing disks might be annoying, but ya know what thats just something you should have to deal with if you get a badass new game on console.

The article has been updated and it appears that this was all just a Turkish translation error. What John actually said was that Doom 4 may end up using all of the space on the blu-ray disc and use more data then the DVD's or something like that. Just check out the link the OP posted again to see what I am talking about.

Still, I wander what this means for the PC version of the game.

I do lots and lots of stuff with my PC most of my PC games are on STEAM where I download and re-download games depending on what I want to do to preserve space on my PC since almost every game I am not playing gets deleted from my hard drive since I need the space for other things, so the thought of having to re-download a massive 30-40 GB game every single time I want to play Doom 4 every once in a while is horrid.

RAGE has 2 discs.

I don't even have a PC that can play what DOOM 4 might be. But I will go out and buy a PS3 for it :-)

geo said:

RAGE has 2 discs.

I don't even have a PC that can play what DOOM 4 might be. But I will go out and buy a PS3 for it :-)

I don't think I could ever play a Doom game only on a console. I can still play console version of Doom, but Doom just feels like a PC game to me.

hardcore_gamer said:

so the thought of having to re-download a massive 30-40 GB game every single time I want to play Doom 4 every once in a while is horrid.

o_O

Buy a bigger hard drive and either download it once and forget about it, or buy the boxed version so you can uninstall/reinstall at your leisure?

hardcore_gamer said:

The article has been updated and it appears that this was all just a Turkish translation error. What John actually said was that Doom 4 may end up using all of the space on the blu-ray disc and use more data then the DVD's or something like that. Just check out the link the OP posted again to see what I am talking about.

Still, I wander what this means for the PC version of the game.

I do lots and lots of stuff with my PC most of my PC games are on STEAM where I download and re-download games depending on what I want to do to preserve space on my PC since almost every game I am not playing gets deleted from my hard drive since I need the space for other things, so the thought of having to re-download a massive 30-40 GB game every single time I want to play Doom 4 every once in a while is horrid.

Solution: Don't uninstall the game, derpy derp derp.

Sadly due to the id games going on steam and only being able to get a shitty expensive internet connection in my area, I will have to miss out on Doom 4 because of the large size (not to mention rage as well) and I don't like the idea of retail copies with steam since you're stuck with them forever, not that I even sell off my old games though.

Doomsfall said:

Sadly due to the id games going on steam and only being able to get a shitty expensive internet connection in my area, I will have to miss out on Doom 4 because of the large size (not to mention rage as well) and I don't like the idea of retail copies with steam since you're stuck with them forever, not that I even sell off my old games though.

Sounds like you solved your own problem. Just buy the retail copy.

Face23785 said:

Sounds like you solved your own problem. Just buy the retail copy.

I'll still have to download large patches and the fact that steam doesn't automatically install from the disc and tries to download the whole game.

Steam said:
Steam client update released
Client Update - Valve
A Steam client update is now available. To apply the update, click the File menu inside of Steam and then select "Check for Steam Client Updates...". The specific changes include:

Fixed "Game not available" error when starting "Sniper Elite"
Fixed retail disc install not using all available files causing additional downloads in some cases

August 2nd.

Doomsfall said:

What the fuck is with you guys and steam? Seriously, it's like a fucking cult. Just buy the fucking retail copy, are you really gonna prevent yourself from enjoying a game from your favorite series because it's a non-steam game?

/rant

To be fair, Rage will be Steamworks, which means it'll require Steam to run, even if you buy the retail copy. There's not really a choice in the matter, a 'non-Steam' version of Rage won't exist. I would imagine they'll go the same way for Doom 4, too.

AirRaid said:

To be fair, Rage will be Steamworks, which means it'll require Steam to run, even if you buy the retail copy. There's not really a choice in the matter, a 'non-Steam' version of Rage won't exist. I would imagine they'll go the same way for Doom 4, too.

The fuck?

I was thinking, remember someone from id said that D4 is to be a "cinematic experience", right? Well, that ony reminds me of CoD. Not a good thing. Gonna be pissed if the game turns out ultra linear, even if the gameplay is good. But then again, Doom 3 was linear & kind of cinematic? ...and it was quite allright. Yeah, I guess smoking plastic was not a good idea to begin with

Face23785 said:

The fuck?

Quite simple. Not every game that's available to buy on Steam requires Steam to run if you buy the boxed version. For example all previous id titles, Dirt3, and probably a bunch of other games that I can't be bothered to investigate.

But more importantly, some do. Half-life 2, Portal 2, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Duke Nukem Forever, Fallout: New Vegas, Just Cause 2 are some examples of this; it's not uncommon. It's just another form of DRM, and while it could be seen as "invasive", requiring Steam to be running, it's certainly one of the least disruptive or offensive options out there.

EA have some titles which require their Origin service now, too.