Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
newgamer

Problem to test the map in Doom Builder

Hi! I got a problem that when I try to test the map with Heretic.wad it goes to the game Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders ... and not the map I create from editor?

This above is the game that always process after clicking test map.

Two questions - what are your testing parameters, and are you testing with a source port or the DOS executable?

Did you accidentally name your map "MAP01" or something? Heretic uses the format "E1M1".

Did you accidentally name your map "MAP01" or something? Heretic uses the format "E1M1".

I named the map like "MAP1".
And save the project with the name file1.wad

Two questions - what are your testing parameters, and are you testing with a source port or the DOS executable?

I'm using the zdoom.exe file to testing, browsing the file in directory of doom builder.
Without the DOS console system.

newgamer said:

I named the map like "MAP1".

There is your problem.

Heretic uses map names like ExMx, where Ex would be the Episode and Mx the Map.

DB2 would have given you the default Level Name of E1M1. You really should read http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Heretic .

If you want to give your map a distinct name, then you have to do this in MAPINFO.

There is your problem.

Heretic uses map names like ExMx, where Ex would be the Episode and Mx the Map.

DB2 would have given you the default Level Name of E1M1. You really should read http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Heretic .

If you want to give your map a distinct name, then you have to do this in MAPINFO.

Uall! Thanks! is really good to know a solution for it. This name is simple MAP1, MAP2.. (really custom). Now I will make this changes as you said.

Just to clarify a few things:
The original DOOM and HERETIC use level names in the format ExMX, example E1M1, E3M4, etc.
DOOM2 and HEXEN use level names in the format MAPxx, example MAP01, MAP24, etc.

Level names MAP1, MAP2, etc, in any game, will not be recognized and the game will default to first map.

What you are doing, by creating your own map, is to substitute the original map in the game, in your case HERETIC, with yours.

Probably, at this point, it will be easy enough to make a new map, give it the proper level name, and you are on your way. If your map was quite involved and you rather not start it from scratch, then all is not lost. Open your map with SLADE 3 and rename MAP1 to E1M1. The reason for this is, that

Doombuilder 2 is used the create the map architecture and use the available resources,
SLADE 3 is used to add new resources or modify them.

Therefore, you will need both, maybe not right away but sooner or later.