Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JohnSmith

Does doom legacy support ultimate doom, doom 2 and herectic expansions packs And Wad

I was wondering if utimate doom and doom2 and herectic expansion packs work in doom legacy. And can I use mods.

Presumably, yes to all questions.

The Doom source code released supports Doom II and Ultimate Doom both, so there's no reason any source port derived from it wouldn't. Likewise, the Heretic source code released by Raven Software supports the full "Shadow of the Serpent Riders" expansion, so there's also no reason a source port with Heretic support wouldn't have support for all five episodes.

And finally, if a source port did not allow loading mods, it would be a sorry excuse for a source port and nobody would ever use it. In fact, not only can Legacy load mods, there are a few Legacy-exclusive mods out there.

Assuming by "Expansion packs" you mean Ultimate Doom, Master Levels for Doom 2/Final Doom and Shadow of the serpeant riders, then yes, absolutly.

No, not all of them. As far as I know, Legacy has no support for Hexen or Strife; and for Chex Quest you'll have to load a dehacked patch as well and even then it'll only be "close enough".

If you want a single port to play all Doom engine games, I'd recommend GZDoom. It can even run correctly many Doom Legacy maps.

Gez said:

No, not all of them. As far as I know, Legacy has no support for Hexen or Strife; and for Chex Quest you'll have to load a dehacked patch as well and even then it'll only be "close enough".

If you want a single port to play all Doom engine games, I'd recommend GZDoom. It can even run correctly many Doom Legacy maps.

Legacy has internal Chex quest stuff (p_chex.[ch]), but I don't know how good it is.

DoomLegacy 1.44 recognizes and plays Doom shareware, Doom, UltDoom, Doom2, Plutonia, TNT, FreeDoom, UltFreeDoom, FreeDM, Heretic shareware, Heretic, Blasphemer, Chexquest.
Strife and Hexen are recognized, but cannot play in DoomLegacy 1.44, but will play in Legacy 2.0.
Plays native wads Twilight, Phobiata, etc..
All wads can be in the same directory simultaneously.
This is selected by the -game switch, as in
"doomlegacy -game tnt"
All game selection info is in the html docs that accompany the binary and source.

Can do PWAD and DEH mods
"doomlegacy -game freedoom -file fix1.wad fix2.deh fix3.wad"

Chexquest handling has been improved considerably from older versions.
Chexquest wad mistakes that bring in Doom graphics are now blocked in code.
I played several versions of Chexquest wads through, including the newest Chexquest New Levels, (Chexquest3 wants zdoom).

I have been using TNT as a test wad lately.

Best when played under Linux, as we no longer have Windows developers to debug the Windows Vista and Win7 directory and video problems.
Some people have been playing it under Windows though. This is being looking into.

DoomLegacy 1.44 is in active development.
Legacy 2.0 is available and playable, but without network code, and stalled development.

Wesley Johnson, DoomLegacy development