Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On map 16, there are several instances during which monsters, due to them being infinitely tall, can totally block the player from going onto lifts. It's particularly noticeable with the very last Mancubus, at the end of the map. Some "block monster" lines should do the trick.

The beginning of that map was very cool though. :)

Also, yes, the latest download link is dead.

I just tried it, and it seems to be working fine for me. Maybe, you tried to download it before I fixed the link.

MattDog:

MAP03
- There was a problem with ceiling only lighting overlapping a lower
ceiling sector added several 1px triangular sectors

MAP08

- Removed double sided linedef overlapping a single sided

MAP14

- Re-did this map and rebuilt with BSP-W32

This link is all the updated maps, there seems to be a lot of maps that were not updated correctly so i'm just going to post a .zip of them all.

http://www.mediafire.com/?cez5bktghx08nsk

Great make sure you put MAP03, MAP08, MAP14 here as these are pretty essential fixes.

Oh, I see what you guys mean by the download link (I'd thought you were referring to the one in the OP). Fixed the other one now.

@Pottus: I've re-updated all of the maps. Hopefully, they're all up-to-date now.

Pottus said:

MattDog:

MAP08

- Removed double sided linedef overlapping a single sided

Thanks Pottus.

"Hey man,

Do what you need to do, I don't have the time right now to fix everything. I would ask that you don't change the visuals too much though as I think I built some great ones here :)

Thanks for the feedback.

GRB"

http://www.mediafire.com/?55dglvltjm3mgsh

I hope you like the new towers.

Actually hadn't noticed this until now! Do you need any more musicians? I need some more projects to work for!

^Sure! Just be sure to keep your tracks in a similar style as XenoNemisis' (this way, the soundtrack can have some consistency). Just start composing for whatever levels Xeno hasn't started composing for.

MAP24

I've started doing MAP24 yesterday from scratch, it will be completed for tomorrow.

It's will be a medium sized map.

Screenies

That Map24 looks pretty cool so far. As of right now, I'm up to Map06 on my test run of the beta and I didn't find any bugs so far.

This is subjective, but I had a couple of problems with the design--not bugs--in MAP12. First of all, a lot of the 'outdoor' areas suffer from the problem that can result when you have huge, simple walls covered in the same repeating texture--it looks bland and underdetailed. I'm not saying you have to go for hyperdetail, but some variety in the side of a building or a cave wall goes a long way.

Secondly, I thought the cyberdemon was somewhat poorly used. The way he appears is great, but afterwards it seems like there's no good place to engage him in a fair fight. If you go out on the platform he will walk out there and there's almost no place to maneuver. I ended up having to return up the stairs to the switched door and duck in and out around the corner. It felt pretty lame. If the player was guaranteed to have a BFG by this point in the megawad (I hadn't found one) it might be different.

Other than that, I like most of the design so far. The metal-base look usually isn't my favorite but the craftsmanship and sense of classic minimalism that went into these levels is obvious. I also like the non-linearity (though it might start to wear thin) and the designs where some keys/areas are optional.

General Rainbow Bacon said:

Hey, I love what you did in my map Pottus. Thanks!

Thanks, it took a bit of effort I don't really like the look of splitting linedefs and offsetting MARBLE1 the seam shows to much compared to something like the STARTAN textures.

1PX sectors FTW!

jerrysheppy: I agree, it's not the best surroundings on that map and it was completed in 24 hours. When I got that map it required a lot of work to make the layout vanilla friendly. SEG counts are pretty high in the exterior areas so there is limited improvements that doesn't mean anything can't be done but I will need screenshots of the areas you think are the worst. Improving texture variation at this point though is probably a pretty good option.

As for the Cyberdemon I have a good idea to make that trap a lot more interesting.

- Add bars blocking exit passage
- Add switch behind Cyber to open bars
- Teleport cyber to the upper platform behind the player

The idea here is really your not supposed to kill the Cyberdemon!

A few VPOs showed up in the new Map29 when I used visplane explorer on it.

Pottus said:

jerrysheppy: I agree, it's not the best surroundings on that map and it was completed in 24 hours. When I got that map it required a lot of work to make the layout vanilla friendly. SEG counts are pretty high in the exterior areas so there is limited improvements that doesn't mean anything can't be done but I will need screenshots of the areas you think are the worst. Improving texture variation at this point though is probably a pretty good option.

Well really it's hard to say what's the "worst" because basically any area with an enormous wall surface with just one texture looked bad to me. But the rock wall across the middle of this view: http://i.imgur.com/Ra9Db.jpg and others like it were some of the worst offenders, and buildings such as the ones to the left didn't look too good to me either. I admit that the need for vanilla compatibility slipped my mind and it may be true that there's not very much you can do. If you can't make the walls much more complex, then maybe there are textures that would make the flatness and tiling less obvious?--I honestly don't know.

As for the cyberdemon, gotcha on the not being supposed to kill it part. I tend to assume that every monster is supposed to be killable in mainstream modern wads, especially on the lower difficulties (where I play) and play accordingly.

Thanks for responding to my comments!

edit: Also, since making that post I did learn there was a non-secret BFG in that map if you go for the red key instead of/in addition to the blue. Fun fight there!

jerrysheppy said:

Well really it's hard to say what's the "worst" because basically any area with an enormous wall surface with just one texture looked bad to me. But the rock wall across the middle of this view: http://i.imgur.com/Ra9Db.jpg and others like it were some of the worst offenders, and buildings such as the ones to the left didn't look too good to me either. I admit that the need for vanilla compatibility slipped my mind and it may be true that there's not very much you can do. If you can't make the walls much more complex, then maybe there are textures that would make the flatness and tiling less obvious?--I honestly don't know.

Fee-fi-fo-fum, I spy a fucking ton of drawsegs wasted on making the red rock cliff slightly jagged!

You could easily make the buildings look a lot better even with just a few extra 1-sided lines though. The first idea that comes to mind is to split their front-facing walls down the middle with a 128-wide metal pillar that's either carved inwards or outwards from the surrounding walls by 32 units.

As for the rock wall in the distance, Doom's rock textures tend to tile pretty horribly across large surfaces, but something plainer and lower-contrast like brown ashwall would likely look better in this case, as it'd lack the obvious repeating pattern.

Yeah, I agree that's a better approach to it. In addition to just changing the texture and breaking it up a little, I think having a lower cliff face and showing more of the Ep2 "sky" will help, because that sky is pretty neat and looks a lot better than just huge slabs of wall texture. :P I don't have a screenshot right now because I'm on a crappy Mac laptop, but I I noticed that approach working well in Map14, I think it was.

Map 24 Update

Layout is complete

I'm still going to take my time over a few days to make sure choreography is good at any rate expect this map in within 3 days.

Pottus said:

This link is all the updated maps, there seems to be a lot of maps that were not updated correctly so i'm just going to post a .zip of them all.

http://www.mediafire.com/?cez5bktghx08nsk

Great make sure you put MAP03, MAP08, MAP14 here as these are pretty essential fixes.

Does this link still contain the most recent update of MAP27? I was going to add difficult setting but I don't want to do it on an old version of the map.

Very beautiful work Pottus, the layout seems to be very complete.

Well, I am going to hurry to add correction of my map :P