Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JohnSmith

How do I install from an SVN repository

JohnSmith said:

Hopefully I will make a deb file then and sumbit it it to getdeb so linux fans can play doom.

http://debian.drdteam.org/

Edit: I should probably mention I do plan on building packages for other Doom related projects. Mostly on request though.

Creating fully functional and correct packages is a complicated undertaking. If you have to ask how to get source from an svn repository, I doubt you can handle it.

But anyway, to answer your question, "how do I install from an SVN repository", the basic game plan is something like this:

1. Get source

svn co <url> <local path>
2. Bootstrap (assuming standard automake setup is in use and configure needs to be regenerated)
aclocal
automake --gnu --add-missing
autoconf
3. Configure
./configure <important options>
4. Build
make
5. Install
sudo make install
That is a very rough outline of what you might do in a relatively standard case. If "baby's first compile" is what you're looking for, I suggest a linux support forum.

And as always, never run any command unless you understand all the ramifications.

"<local path>" is the directory you want to store the subversion checkout in. You probably actually want this in your home directory, but you can have it in /usr/local/src if you really want to.

In addition, you probably only want trunk so:

svn co http://mancubus.net/svn/gzdoom/trunk gzdoom

(without the "gzdoom" at the end, it'd instead create directory named "trunk". you can also do "/usr/local/src/gzdoom" if you wish.)

I have successfully installed from svn here is what happens when i bootstrap and why is bootstrap required and what does it do and when is it needed.

family@ubuntu:/usr/local/src/gzdoom$ aclocal
aclocal: `configure.ac' or `configure.in' is required
family@ubuntu:/usr/local/src/gzdoom$ automake --gnu --add-missing
automake: `configure.ac' or `configure.in' is required
family@ubuntu:/usr/local/src/gzdoom$ autoconf
autoconf: error: no input file

It's the step where all the dependencies and variables are analyzed and searched to allow the compiler to actually work.

natt said:

2. Bootstrap (assuming standard automake setup is in use and configure needs to be regenerated)

In this case, it's cmake that's used.

so what is the problem and can't I use autoreconf instead of bootstrap. here is a list

family@ubuntu:/usr/local/src/gzdoom$ ls
bzip2 FindFluidSynth.cmake lzma tools
CMakeLists.txt game-music-emu Makefile.linux wadsrc
docs gdtoa output_sdl wadsrc_bm
doom.wad gzdoom.sln specs wadsrc_lights
dumb gzdoom.vcproj src zlib
editors jpeg-6b strifehelp.acs

So we use bootstrap when there is no configure file.In short it is used to create a config file.Also to do a bootstrap all I have to do is type autoreconf in the terminal right. Then why do I need to use Cmake.

You need to simply type "cmake ." to bootstrap the Makefile to be used, then just a plain and simple "make" command should install it. The previous instructions merely assumed an autotools-assisted project, which GZDoom is not and uses CMake instead (in many ways, superior to autotools).

Maes: Cut the troll. This is obviously an atypical way of getting software (and especially to a newbie, it is strange), and Graf in particular has made getting the GZDoom source awkward compared to most projects. Your same statement could be flipped around, with the same accuracy, next time someone tries to compile some software with Visual Studio with no experience whatsoever.

chungy said:

Graf in particular has made getting the GZDoom source awkward compared to most projects.

The thing is that there's a simple way to get the source from the WebSVN thing on MancuNET: here. Graf could just put that link on his website and be done with it.

Maes: Cut the troll. This is obviously an atypical way of getting software (and especially to a newbie, it is strange), and Graf in particular has made getting the GZDoom source awkward compared to most projects. Your same statement could be flipped around, with the same accuracy, next time someone tries to compile some software with Visual Studio with no experience whatsoever.

Or rather close to home, when someone tries to compile Mocha Doom. It's far from apparent how to build it, or even if it does build at all.

JohnSmith, assuming this isn't a clever troll, to build and install GZdoom on Ubuntu you need to do this:

Please be aware that you will need to install development files to do this,at a minimum the build-essential, and I suggest the checkinstall ubuntu package will need to be installed, as well as anything that gzdoom requires. You can find FMOD at http://www.fmod.org/index.php/download/find

svn co http://mancubus.net/svn/hosted/gzdoom/trunk gzdoom
cd gzdoom
wget http://dpb.yagisan.org/resources/fmodapi42636linux.tar.gz
tar -xzf fmodapi42636linux.tar.gz
mkdir bh
cd bh
cmake ..
make
sudo checkinstall
Good luck. It's not too hard to do, but like most new skills, it needs practice.

I Seem to have some problem.I am using this tutorial http://www.zdoom.org/wiki/Compile_ZDoom_on_Linux

family@ubuntu:/usr/local/src/trunk/release$ cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DFMOD_LIBRARY=/usr/local/lib64/libfmodex64-4.36.01.so -DFMOD_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/local/include/fmodex/
CMake Error: The source directory "/usr/local/src/trunk/release" does not appear to contain CMakeLists.txt.
Specify --help for usage, or press the help button on the CMake GUI.
family@ubuntu:/usr/local/src/trunk/release$ cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ..
-- Could NOT find BZip2 (missing: BZIP2_LIBRARIES BZIP2_INCLUDE_DIR)
-- Using system zlib
-- Using system jpeg library
-- Using internal bzip2 library
-- /usr/include
-- /usr/local/src/trunk/bzip2
-- /usr/local/src/trunk/lzma/C
-- Found Xcursor at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXcursor.so
-- FMOD include files found at /usr/local/include/fmodex
-- FMOD library found at /usr/local/lib/libfmodex-4.26.36.so
-- Could NOT find FluidSynth (missing: FLUIDSYNTH_LIBRARIES FLUIDSYNTH_INCLUDE_DIR)
-- Fluid synth libs: FLUIDSYNTH_LIBRARIES-NOTFOUND
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /usr/local/src/trunk/release
family@ubuntu:/usr/local/src/trunk/release$ cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DFMOD_LIBRARY=/usr/local/lib64/libfmodex64-4.36.01.so -DFMOD_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/local/include/fmodex/

JohnSmith said:

I Seem to have some problem.I am using this tutorial http://www.zdoom.org/wiki/Compile_ZDoom_on_Linux

CMake Error: The source directory "/usr/local/src/trunk/release" does not appear to contain CMakeLists.txt.

Looking at the article and the command line you typed, it seems the problem here is simply that you did not tell cmake from which directory to work.

Don't forget the ".." at the end of the command line to tell it to look in the parent directory, rather than the current one.

cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DFMOD_LIBRARY=/usr/local/lib64/libfmodex64-4.36.01.so -DFMOD_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/local/include/fmodex/ ..

family@ubuntu:/usr/local/src/trunk/release$ cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DFMOD_LIBRARY=/usr/local/lib64/libfmodex64-4.36.01.so -DFMOD_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/local/include/fmodex/ ..
-- Could NOT find BZip2 (missing: BZIP2_LIBRARIES BZIP2_INCLUDE_DIR)
-- Using system zlib
-- Using system jpeg library
-- Using internal bzip2 library
-- /usr/include
-- /usr/local/src/trunk/bzip2
-- /usr/local/src/trunk/lzma/C
-- Found Xcursor at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXcursor.so
-- FMOD include files found at /usr/local/include/fmodex
-- FMOD library found at /usr/local/lib64/libfmodex64-4.36.01.so
-- Could NOT find FluidSynth (missing: FLUIDSYNTH_LIBRARIES FLUIDSYNTH_INCLUDE_DIR)
-- Fluid synth libs: FLUIDSYNTH_LIBRARIES-NOTFOUND
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /usr/local/src/trunk/release
family@ubuntu:/usr/local/src/trunk/release$

Gez said:

The thing is that there's a simple way to get the source from the WebSVN thing on MancuNET: here. Graf could just put that link on his website and be done with it.

Why didn't you ever tell me about this? I would have added it long ago to the downloads page if I had known about it.

I just stubled over this thread by random chance (I was on vacation when it was created.)