Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Freeze

Scary moments in videogames

This happened last night.

System Shock 2. Hydroponics. While in chemical storage, I get ambushed by a cyborg midwife. I nearly jump out of my seat IRL, but manage to blast her with my AP-loaded pistol. After calming down, I grab the chemicals I needed, and carefully head out the room.

Proceeding around the next corner, I can hear sounds in the distance.

"Little ones need lots of care"

I immediately saved, and exited. Trying to summon the courage to pick it up again tonight.

Haha! This kind of thread always reminds me of when I played Thief ages ago.

I recall playing Thief (Gold version) and had a few atmospheric / creepy spider encounters. I walked by a gated doorway to a cell inside some castle and this big spider saw me and started to freak and run against the gate, legs scrabbling on the floor. I thought I had time to arrow / mine the bastard but somehow it came through / no-clipped and it leaped over my head and I lost sight of it. Meanwhile some asshole guard started attacking me and I ended up with both of them killing me. On replay I tossed a few mines under the gate and it died. lol

The 2nd big spider was in the ruined part of the city where it was patrolling a bridge area. I killed it with a fire arrow in one shot from a good distance away. Also I passed a mound of dirt and grass in the ruins that was open to a dark pit at the top. I heard spidery hissing and scratching around there so I avoided it while zombies were stumbling about. I don't know if anything comes out of that hole or not so it was bit concerning. :p

In this other spot I was in this ruined house where the floor was caved in and I heard this weird clicking and scritching noise. I saw something down below that looked like a giant leg and I thought it was a massive spider. I tossed in some mines and this thing walked over a mine and kept going. It was one of those insect crawfish whatever dudes. It moved off someplace in the darkness. Later on in the map I found a tunnel and went into the underearth. Eventually I realised I had made it down into the hole I had been looking into at the creature. I didn't see it anywhere and I was low on ammo. I saw anouther tunnel but decided to get the hell out of there.

This isn't strictly related to the same subject, but being a creepy thread it does have a few items of interest, mainly on the first page.

As such I'll reprise this video which is posted in the thread

And I need to remind myself to find some clips from Seventh Guest to post on here after work.

Speaking of which I'll share the story of how I never finished that game some several years ago. The game takes place in a large mansion with an emphasis on being creepy and spooky. I recall finally making my way into the basement area which turned out to be a labrynth with no lighting, so you could only see what was in front of you. Since I had no idea where to go I just kept walking in a straight line from where I entered so I wouldn't get lost. As I start moving into the darkness a low voice starts talking to me, creepy as fuck but I was determined to try and make it through so I tried to ignore it and keep moving. At this point I had made one or two turns into dead ends and was worried about how I would get out since I hadn't saved before going in so I started making my way back. At some point the voice came back on in the same low pitch and warned me to watch out for a three-headed dog before doing a slow, evil laugh. I think that was the fastest I ever click-moved in a point-and-click puzzle game to get the fuck out of the basement, save my game, and then exit.

That game has some seriously creepy moments

SS2 and Amnesia.

Doom 2's map04 was rather spooky when I was young, hated going out of the first door.

Silent Hill series, various scenes and the atmosphere are generally nerve wracking, especially playing in the dark with a good volume level on the TV.

I don't think I've actually played any horror games.
Well, horror games that actually scared me.. I played Resident Evil 1 and it was just hilarious.

Khorus said:

Amnesia.

Dear God I can't even describe how freaked out I was when I saw the grunt for the first time

I ran into quite a few in F.E.A.R. Extraction Point. (All in video form on my channel loladvertising)

I think I'm going to have to cut out a piece of my Clear Sky walkthrough; part 21 had one damn terrifying bit in it.

System Shock 2 is awesome because of the sound design. they did a better job there than most games more than ten years later. The creation of the first midwife was just disturbing.

The first AvP on PC had some spooky bits. The game had really weird design with intense, coloured dynamic lights that never lit the whole area properly and plunged you into darkness when shot. Add the fact that the motion tracker was always slightly too slow in picking up that xenomorph sneaking up on you in the dark... AvP2 didn't have that scare factor; it was just a nice atmospheric game for its time that did a better job looking like the films.

Metro 2033 is good at being scary. The scare factor comes almost 100% from never knowing wtf is going on in the world around you.

As mentioned:

It's kind of funny to look back at now, but I'm telling you... I cannot recall any moment in a game that's scared me badly enough to make me scream like that.

Xeros612 said:

As mentioned:

It's kind of funny to look back at now, but I'm telling you... I cannot recall any moment in a game that's scared me badly enough to make me scream like that.

Didnt see it the first time, but then i turned it up to see if I missed something else, then focused a little more.

Vaporizer said:

Don't waste your AP bullets against midwives. Crouch and use your melee weapon.

Wasn't the Hydroponics chemical storeroom near the surgical units with the ghost scene of the first midwive being created? That part is creepy.

Tip noted. Thanks.

Yeah, the storeroom is 20 feet away from the ghost scene. I remember it triggering, and stupidly not realizing the only reason that cutscene triggered was to warn me about the next room. So I went in, went towards the adjacent door and BAM. Cue near-heart attack, because not only was it inside the room, it fucking SPRINTED towards me.

As most have mentioned, silent hill (for me silent hill 2) is probably the scariest I played. Resident evil was never really that scary since it was all zombies instead of mental fuckery.

Khorus said:

Doom 2's map04 was rather spooky when I was young, hated going out of the first door.

That map's music pumped me up way too much to feel scared :D. Funnily enough, the only things that scared me as a kid when I played doom were the impaled bunny head and the impaled romero head (especially since I didn't know who romero was and I just thought the leader of hell was an abnormally large grotesque head-on-a-stick).

cybermidwives? check. ghosts? okay. the rumbler in the basketball court? sure. still, i'm amazed none of you mentioned the fucking MONKEYS. fuck them.

also craigs posted a shock scene, but hey... ss2 outdoes everything even in that department. remember the bulkheads between engineering and cargo bays? i had a kamikadze droid respawn right next to me and explode 0.1s after i loaded my way into one of the bulkheads. "oh,"-KABOOM! it was at night and i almost fell from my chair, heh.

I just remembered some bits of the first Stalker that were creepy. I recall being in some dark basement and having some cloaked / invisible creature attack me then run off somewhere. :p Fun game.

Doom Dude said:

I just remembered some bits of the first Stalker that were creepy. I recall being in some dark basement and having some cloaked / invisible creature attack me then run off somewhere. :p Fun game.

I remember that part! Those guys were frustrating to kill.

Doom Dude said:

If this is the section I think it is, if you are careful in that area and don't actually kill that creature, it will stalk you predator style and watch you from a distance, and if you try to attack it outside of the room you meet it in then it'll retreat without attacking you.

Then when you least expect it, you'll turn around when exploring some room and see it staring at you. Creeped me the hell out. I don't know if it was a glitch in the AI or it actually does that on purpose.

Thief 3 deadly shadows: Encounter of the zombies, and their sounds, I muted the sound!

Also at one time, I was surrounded by guards, so I took out the noise maker arrow, tried to shot at other corner but it stuck and then it made noises where I am lying. The big guards rushed to me, one of them stood right in front of me in the dark, but he didn't see me! He kept moving his eyes left and right. I was nervous, then suddenly, he yelled: AHHH IT'S YOU!!! I jumped.

Tomb Raider: PS2, once I was walking then this dark wolf comes out from my left. Encountering the bear was more scary. On the PC version, TR2, at the start a tiger?!

Half Life: Gargantua first encounter.

Dangerous Dave II: Death scenes.

Here's a creepy one from Final Fantasy VII: When Cloud Strife is borderline molested by Mukki and his "family" of other middle-aged, body-building men while visiting the Group Room in Honey Bee Inn.

If you deny the offer to join his "young Bubbys club" (????), he becomes very deeply saddened and responds with "Daddy's so lonely...".

And so every time I replay Final Fantasy VII, I still go to the Group Room. It's tradition. It's just so... fascinating.

The core transfer in Portal 2 is unsettling.
What really sent chills down my spine was that the sound clip of GLaDOS's scream is called something around the lines of "glados_core_drag_to_hell_01.wav"

Opposing Force when your Osprey got shot down was quite scary back then, before every movie and game ever had a scene like that (Black Hawk Down the movie hadn't even come out yet!)

spank said:

Headcrabs are especially disgusting!

Poison headcrabs keep me up at night. I shoot all the furniture in the room at them, and then throw a few explosives in there to be sure.

Bucket said:

Poison headcrabs keep me up at night. I shoot all the furniture in the room at them, and then throw a few explosives in there to be sure.

You're the last known resident of Ravenholm?