Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Platinum Shell

How to get blue and green blood particles and sprites in Z-DooM?

I know this is pretty broad, but I was wondering if their were any Z-DooM wads or mods that have green and blue blood particles and blood sprites.

I wish to use them in standard DooM play, and I would like for the green blood (sprites & particles) to be assigned to both the noble demons (baron and knight), and the blue blood to be assigned for the cacodemon.

Thanks for your help!

Strangely there isn't anywhere where you can download green and blue blood sprites. You actually have to draw/recolor them yourself, which is what most people do.

Here you go, just run this wad alongside whatever else you are running.

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/29927437/ColourfulBlood.wad

This simple Decorate code inside the wad gives the monsters colourful blood. Inheritance is used to make a copy of the monster, give it the new blood color property and replace the original.

actor NewCacodemon : Cacodemon replaces Cacodemon
{
bloodcolor blue
}

actor NewHellknight : Hellknight replaces Hellknight
{
bloodcolor darkgreen
}

actor NewBaronOfHell : BaronOfHell replaces BaronOfHell
{
bloodcolor darkgreen
}

I like to add +NOBLOOD to Lost Souls as well as making Spectres bleed black.

Also it's any kind you like, if you want a very specific shade this site is useful for the values: http://www.html-color-chart.com/66xxxx.htm

For example BloodColor "66 44 66" will use that color on the monster for blood splats, particles and decals.

Cyanosis said:

I like to add +NOBLOOD to Lost Souls as well as making Spectres bleed black.

I was just about to ask this question, those would also do nicely alongside the ColourfulBlood.WAD.

Since Captain Toenail already covered colored blood, I might be able to change spectre blood to black, but I can't download DeHackEd on this PC. The download locks up.

Also, how would someone go about the process of eliminating blood entirely from a shootable actor?

You don't need Dehacked for this. Decorate is a text format; notepad will work.

For spectres, the more clever thing is to make a copy of the blood actor and assign that to them. Give it the same fuzzy rendering flag that spectres have.

Yeah, that would be cool. Would still give red blood decals and particles though afaik, so you could combine that with bloodcolor black to get black decals but fuzzy splats.

Edit: if you add the following code to the Decorate lump, you will have Spectres with fuzzy invisible blood.

actor NewSpectre : Spectre replaces Spectre
{
BloodType FuzzyBlood
}

actor FuzzyBlood : Blood
{
+SHADOW
RenderStyle OptFuzzy
Alpha 0.5
}

If you want an actor to not bleed when shot, just add +NOBLOOD flag. It's all on the ZDoom wiki I recommend you browse it if your interested in these little tweaks it's very handy.

http://zdoom.org/wiki/DECORATE

Platinum Shell said:

Since Captain Toenail already covered colored blood, I might be able to change spectre blood to black, but I can't download DeHackEd on this PC. The download locks up.

Don't use dehacked for DECORATE code. It makes as much sense as using a hacksaw to cook bread.

Use SLADE 3 instead.

Platinum Shell said:

Also, how would someone go about the process of eliminating blood entirely from a shootable actor?

Actor BlahNoBlood : Blah replaces Blah { +NOBLOOD }

Replace "Blah" by the name of the actor. See the ZDoom wiki for a full list of all actor names.

Ok, I have the spectre added to my little text document, so for Lost Souls, I just have to put +NOBLOOD for the area that calls for blood type?

Sorry for the lack of understanding, running on E (tired) over here.

Well, the text file didn't function whatsoever, same old reddy red blood.

Hmm, is their a certain amount of spaces at the beggining of the document that need to be corrected?

EDIT: I configured the amount of spaces at the beggining of the code, it didn't affect anything. For some reason, the ColourfulBlood.WAD works just fine, I dunno why the document isn't as I loaded my game up with a pushable barrels txt. document.

Thanks for the help, guys.

You did put the text into the wad under an entry called "DECORATE", right? Didn't just copy it into a text file, change the extension to .deh and try to run it, right?

My mistake, my lack of sleep is clearly taking it's toll on me.

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll get back to you on that.

EDIT:Yep, works just fine, as expected.

Odd thing to note, is that the spectre does indeed bleed fuzzy blood sprites, however it's blood particles are still red.

Platinum Shell said:

Ok, I have the spectre added to my little text document, so for Lost Souls, I just have to put +NOBLOOD for the area that calls for blood type?

Not exactly. NOBLOOD is a flag (that's why there's a + in front of it, to say that the flag is added, and why it's usually written in all caps, to distinguish it from properties). So don't try something like BloodType +NOBLOOD or BloodColor +NOBLOOD as it will not parse.

Gez said:

Not exactly. NOBLOOD is a flag (that's why there's a + in front of it, to say that the flag is added, and why it's usually written in all caps, to distinguish it from properties). So don't try something like BloodType +NOBLOOD or BloodColor +NOBLOOD as it will not parse.

May I place it anywhere into the area underneath the changes and edits to the actor NewSpectre? (sorry if this sounds confusing, what I'm asking is if the order of which lines of code matter when placed, or if it's shapeless.)

EDIT: Like this: (sorry, I don't know any of the special encasements or fonts you guys use)

actor NewLostSoul : LostSoul replaces LostSoul
{
+NOBLOOD
}