Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revenant

"A.D. Cop": Doom's estranged rail-shooter cousin from Taiwan

Thanks, gonna take a look at it - I think I have a few ideas.

Spoiler
On 8/19/2011 at 9:10 AM, Revenant said:

HG01.bmp

Sometime over the holidays I'll see if I can still find the CD that I got Overseas Mission off of so I can properly archive it, if anybody's interested.

SHIT PISSER, eh? Yeah, that made me think of one of my guilty pleasures - 80s anime dubs.

What's that mean, you say? Why I'm glad you asked. You will have to watch on Youtube itself as it's age-restricted.

Shit hot shitter, really.

Spoiler

And yes, "You wouldn't recognize a goddamn vampire if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your fucking dick" is one of those "so bad, it's good" lines.

Hah, there's a lot of fun and delightfully edgy 80s and 90s OVAs with some charmingly cheap and crass dubs, Angel Cop and Mad Bull 34 comes to mind for some high grade animated sleaze.

https://archive.org/details/audio-wizard

https://revenant1.net/AudioWizard.7z

Alright, here's the driver disc with Overseas Mission on it (in the "ADCOPSEA" directory).

There are two versions, one for DOS ("PLAY.BAT") and one for Win9x ("ADCOPSEA.EXE"). Both versions require using the "-dir" argument on the command line to point to where the game data is located on disk (e.g. "-dir D:\ADCOPSEA"), even if you're running it directly from the CD. Or, you can just launch the Windows version from the CD's autoplay menu which does this for you.

For some reason, you'll have to do some manual tweaking to get sound and music working in the DOS version. After installing the game, open API4GW.INI in a text editor and add these lines:

[driver]
Digpak = 1
Midpak = 1

After that, run SNDSETUP.EXE and pick your usual hardware.

The Windows version has working sound, but seems to lock up in my XP VM when actually trying to start a game, and needs to be run in Win95 compatibility mode in order to even launch. I'll need to test it in one of my actual 9x VMs or something later.

Edited by Revenant

On 1/2/2021 at 10:38 PM, Revenant said:

The Windows version has working sound, but seems to lock up in my XP VM when actually trying to start a game, and needs to be run in Win95 compatibility mode in order to even launch. I'll need to test it in one of my actual 9x VMs or something later.

With PCEm and DosBox-X I had more luck with some older and weirder 9x games, than a normal VM (Like virtualbox).

But beware: those kind of emulators need a pretty powerful CPU. Like on DosBox-X, with my i7 3.4GHz CPU, i started having problems around an emulated Pentium 100MHz. (game started to lag)

Am I the only one getting some major TekWar vibes from this game? I hope it isn't actually AS bad as TekWar, but you never know where rock bottom is until you hit it...

Being on-rails makes it automatically far better than TekWar, in my estimation...

It's basically a cheap 2.5D clone of Virtua Cop.

I updated my earlier post to add an archive.org download link, and I also figured out how to get audio working in the DOS version. Have fun.

Later on I'll probably record some DOS gameplay footage for YouTube, and see about uploading a playable-in-browser version to the archive also.

Wow! I think I gotta give this a shot sometime, what an amazing find! Whether it's lackluster or not, it's a piece of gaming history no matter how obscure it is. And the fact it happened to be a wad, too!

EDIT: Also I forgot to comment earlier... when I read "A.D. Cop" in the thread title, at first my brain read it as "AD Cop", thinking it was some cheesy parody about ad blocking or something lol

Necrobump.

I'm working on Rail Shooter mod for GZDoom (just experimenting, actually), and people said about A.D. Cop. Never heard about this game before, but I've checked this thread and I did some hacking tricks to WAD file and now it's possible to open maps in Doom Builder:

PkqPDik6rns.jpg?size=1920x1037&quality=9

7LpaexuN0Q8.jpg?size=1920x1038&quality=9

OkREzuHhqMg.jpg?size=1920x1038&quality=9

nAAhabaYM9k.jpg?size=1920x1038&quality=9

Edited by Dexiaz

This looks very cool and a ZDoom adaption (slopes?) of the old game files would be so cool!

1 hour ago, roadworx said:

oooooh that's really cool :ooooo

how'd you manage to get it to work in doombuilder?

Check the first post. The .GAD files are just IWADs with the first four bytes changed from "IWAD" to "PACK". A minute with a hex editor will let you into their gooey innards with standard Doom tools.

I did some experiments many years ago with gluing several AD Cop map portions together into a Reelism map, but I never quite took it all the way. I recall there being a lot of tedious work to re-apply certain AD Cop-specific features with ZDoom analogues like slopes...

yoOyh2F.png

tuJqpZV.png

0QvcMk6.png

This is ridiculously cool. Thanks for the post, I'll have to try something out with these textures. Does it come with music? 

On 1/20/2022 at 4:13 AM, DannyMan said:

I like the idea of a rail-shooter in Doom Engine.

Necrobump but I wholeheartedly concur.